You with AA, in the first leg of the Sunday Million 17th Anniversary.

romerim

romerim

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there were less people, I would go without hesitation, but 8 all-in is a catch.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Snap fold, immediately show your hand and read all the comments of your opponents in the chatbox.....I asure you it will be priceless :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, think about this : when you consider folding AA in a spot like this, just to survive this first hand, do you really think you will survive all those hours of play, just to get ITM, let alone make a deep run ?

What starting hands will you play to get there after folding even AA pre-flop ?

Really, on a forum where members are supposed to be learning about how to play poker , if it were up to me all posts about (considering) folding in this particular situation , should be deleted.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
What is the difference between risking AA in the 1st hand and risking AA instead of tournament?

You have at least 80% to win the pot, if you take a bad beat it doesn't matter.

paddyswarrior

paddyswarrior

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Gotta be brave and push with AA. You have the best possible starting hand regardless 😎

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
For Helmuth of course it's an easy decision, for him $215.00 is nothing, even me in his place would call with a laugh.:ROFLMAO:
I only used 'Helmuth' for an example because many years ago he would claim to fold AA vs. an allin in early going of the wsop MainEVent... not because he can easily afford to play the Sunday Million at $215. Also, the reason for Helmuth stating this (15years ago) was because he was insinuating he had such a HUGE advantage/edge over the other players, that he didn't even need to take an 80/20+ in the early going because he would suggest that he would have MANY opportunities to chip up regularly throughout the day and the days ahead. Guarantee you he would never do this now.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
First hand... freeroll ticket... the most plausible thought would be to call... but we can't judge this as the right or wrong thing to do because it's not us playing... and each one will have their own point of view.
Yes you are correct. Because one is 100% right and the other is 100% wrong.

Obviously we don't win the tournament in the first level.... but NOBODY (even if YOU'RE VERY GOOD) should be passing up ANY spots to chip up in early levels of an MTT. We play 'to win'... we don't ply 'to not lose' (playing to 'not lose' is a great way to lose).

'IF' Freeroller wins ticket. Money means a lot to him. A $1,000 cash could make a BIG difference in his life. Well he best be looking at his stack as 300bb... not $215 and then get to the business of playing tournament poker. I'm not suggesting going after pots with reckless abandon (but we do need to go after the one's that present themselve's), but this question "Do we call with AA allin headsup early in the Sunday Million".. is just such a ridiculously easy answer that it AMAZES me that ANYONE would consider folding. I am so glad that they think this is the thing to do though.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
someone got really mad about this outrun i m afraid:cool:
The majority of the chips went in on the river. :) Too bad I wasn't able to hang onto them for very long, lol.... sigh

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
.... if the 215 is the reason you would fold you have no business even entering this tourney in the fist place, this is a terrible frame of mind to put yourself in. The 215 is already gone the minute you enter... it's time to play poker.. folding an 80% hand out of fear is not playing poker...

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Here is a hand that is a closer decision with AA. Top 3 win the same amount (760 euros), 4th gets nothing. Call or fold AA?
ScreenHunter 12627

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Here is a hand that is a closer decision with AA. Top 3 win the same amount (760 euros), 4th gets nothing. Call or fold AA?
View attachment 328187
I'm not an ICM expert but I think due to the flat payout structure and the small stack with 27k, one might have to fold AA here. Since you'll dramatically reduce your chances of ITM if you loose here. Although your equity is around or more than 80%... 🤔

But I'd be curious what the ICMizer would say here.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'm not an ICM expert but I think due to the flat payout structure and the small stack with 27k, one might have to fold AA here. Since you'll dramatically reduce your chances of ITM if you loose here. Although your equity is around or more than 80%... 🤔

But I'd be curious what the ICMizer would say here.
I saw it on twitter early. Its a fold. Calling loses $10. @Dara OKearney showed the chart.

Think about it tho, its amazing....that means that technically the SB has a 100% shove range!! Of course, the reality of what players would do with AA or other cards makes that not very relevant. This is what blows my mind about solvers. Of course they are very very useful. But they suggest the 2nd in chips should risk their ticket 100% of the time. That blows my mind. In real world play, its incorrect....it has to be!

Back to the OP. Against 1 player all in, its a 100% call all day long.....Not saying I'd enjoy watching the cards come out tho!

Although the OP post I think is a clear answer. Where is the line in terms of what you do call. That's what is interesting me.

I think we include KK....probably only KK tho, AKs is a def no for me. I think QQ is too. :unsure:

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only person right now we can't have a HU all-in fight it's DWEEB so it's actually a fold. Blinds are about to going up, and small stack player needs so many things to click to ever beat us. Definitely worth to taking another spot than 2-outed in this one. :)

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will definitely would call with AA pre flop, specially against only one player. I think I will never fold AA pre flop HU.

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Callin with glee ....only folding AA pre flop in a satellite near the bubble ,with an already safe stack .

FabiPoker

FabiPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
You decided to play in this coveted Pokerstar tournament, and for that you paid $215.00 for entry to this spectacular tournament.

In the first hand of the tournament you get a nice pair of AA, what a dream, and you think now that I'm going to win a lot of chips, right in the first hand.

So you are the first to speak and you open that standard reise, 2.5bb, and to your surprise one of the eight players goes all-in, then you think this guy is crazy, but he might have been one of those who won entry in a satellite, here comes the question that won't shut up:

Do you call villain's all-in, risking your tournament on the first hand?:unsure:
for sure you have the best hand,if lost is only the variance

dajallina

dajallina

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I don't think anyone would fold. After the flop, probably so but before the flop, never!

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You decided to play in this coveted Pokerstar tournament, and for that you paid $215.00 for entry to this spectacular tournament.

In the first hand of the tournament you get a nice pair of AA, what a dream, and you think now that I'm going to win a lot of chips, right in the first hand.

So you are the first to speak and you open that standard reise, 2.5bb, and to your surprise one of the eight players goes all-in, then you think this guy is crazy, but he might have been one of those who won entry in a satellite, here comes the question that won't shut up:

Do you call villain's all-in, risking your tournament on the first hand?:unsure:
It's clearly a call, but if someone really goes all-in on the first hand, it's either a crazy person from a freeroll satellite, or there's another scary AA pair in hand, and the pot can be halved.
In the worst case, the other AA will flush and the Sunday Million dreams are over. :sneaky: