When to employ limp strategy ?

fiddlesticks123

fiddlesticks123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I limp with low pairs to try to hit a set. This is the only time I limp, and in late position I may raise with them if it's folded round to steal the blinds. I try to keep limping to a minimum :)

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is not recommended to play limp strategy. But you can not do without it. Sometimes you have to play in this style.

K

kceow2981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to over limp with low suited connectors or low pocket pairs when I'm playing with some loose passive people so that if I hit a strong straight out flush I can extract value from them. High implied odds

S

Spns777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is work only for very aggressive tables or if you want disperse a pot.

J

Jeffbento

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In early position, I tend to bet large to avoid a family limp pot. If someone calls, it's usually heads up and I use strategy as the cards come.

Dusan

Dusan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's no such thing as "limping strategy" That's a losing strategy.

I never limp when first one in the pot or if I have limpers in front of me - many reasons for that but many should be pretty obvious. If a hand's not good enough to raise with, it's not good enough to limp/call with and I'm folding it. The thing is that when you limp the first one in or limp behind other limpers you are making a mistakes 100% of the time. For sure you are in error according to the “Theory of Poker” by David Sklansky.

I do open a bit looser than a lot of tight players will recommend (I am opening 98s and AJo and KQo and 22-66 from early position), but I do still feel like I'm one of the tightest players at the table when I play every day here in Vegas - I never show up with total junk like a lot of players do.

IN8FI8NI8TY

IN8FI8NI8TY

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
spns777 says it works for very aggressive tables. All tutors are now pushing aggressive, so limp.

IN8FI8NI8TY

IN8FI8NI8TY

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love to limp AA against AK and AQ

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone chooses their own strategy, I have my own...

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
I adhere to more conservative views. I always wait for good cards.
And only then I try to use the situation in my favor. That is my strategy.
this is a good ABC poker strategy to wait for good cards. but for development it should be possible sometimes to expand the range of hands in different situations[emoji106] [emoji812] [emoji813] [emoji814] [emoji815]

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday all ...almost never limp except when coming to a new table in tourney for a few hands to gauge players or late in tourney when possible steals are behind you...thanks darrell

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's no such thing as "limping strategy" That's a losing strategy.

I never limp when first one in the pot or if I have limpers in front of me - many reasons for that but many should be pretty obvious. If a hand's not good enough to raise with, it's not good enough to limp/call with and I'm folding it. The thing is that when you limp the first one in or limp behind other limpers you are making a mistakes 100% of the time. For sure you are in error according to the “Theory of Poker” by David Sklansky.

I do open a bit looser than a lot of tight players will recommend (I am opening 98s and AJo and KQo and 22-66 from early position), but I do still feel like I'm one of the tightest players at the table when I play every day here in Vegas - I never show up with total junk like a lot of players do.

im not sure i fully agree here i never limp first one in but if I am sitting in late position or on the button with a hand like 33 and everyone has limped before me say 3-5 limpers my line would usually be to limp in as well and play hit or fold line.

i dont think folding 33 there is optimal and often putting a big squeeze in is allowing you to walk into a trap or face a difficult spot if called when you miss the flop.

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only time I ever limp A-A or K-K is in late position when the rest of the table has folded. Maybe a min raise...

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do not limp with AA or KK. You expose yourself to too many chances of a terrible flop for you. Some caller gets 2 pair and you are dead meat with a great hand.

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all you should never limp because it'll often put you into tough spots where you can't fold or basically
A bad play! Limping isn't a strategy, it's a bad play!

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I rarely follow that strategy , you should open raise a standard amount probably 2x-2.2x and maybe something like 3x only at the very first stages where there are no antes and the blinds are way too small compared to the starting stacks.

I see people open raise >4x with 14bbs left!They probably think they play in an American saloon back in the days ha ha.Poker has involved guys you should stay up to date in order to be more competitive!

On the other side of the coin, I like flatting in late positions against some players with strong hands or hands with good post flop equity and playability !

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play tight you can remove open limping as a strategy and just raise your strong range of hands mixed with some weaker pocket pairs & suited connectors to balance out your range.

Limping can be done, but raising allows you to take the blinds without seeing a flop and giving the big blind free cards.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limp is a bad game, like Manifestation of weakness or a cunning move with a good hand ???.

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to limp with really big hands against really aggressive players! And just call till the turn! You can almost see them go OOPS though the screen!

M

MrTerek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping in NLHE...

If you know your opponent will raise or shove on you and you want that action.

Some players always limp in the SB when it folds around to them - no matter what they have - as a matter of policy.

Folds around to you on the button and you want to play a certain hand IP but don't want to get 4-bet from the blinds.

Super short stack - less than 10 BB - limp with premium hands to get action.

Limp possibly if you are super bigstack and just want to be active in every pot.

Other than these not a great idea...

Good luck !

Agree with everything. A choise of author(he said aggresive table)

A

Aknight3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I using with KK and AA sometimes and low pairs

This is a surefire way to get sucked out on...i try to only limp when im in position with really weak cards that may or may not end up being worth it...but never limp with strong hands unless u really know what ur doing...ive burned myself so many times doing this

LeChifre

LeChifre

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never - play TAG poker to win. Tight & Aggresive!
:jd4:

dcproster

dcproster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I limp only good cards on the aggresive table.

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK QQ

I’ve done this AA and KK. We’ve all done this with AA and KK.

Don’t do this with AA and KK.

Just bet hard with them from the jump and be happy with a few blinds. Playing them quietly to stack someone sounds good and all, but it is much more likely to end your stack than someone else’s.

Would you rather win a small pot or be praying that your AA hasn’t been beaten by the big blind holding nonsense on a Q83 flop?

Nothing worse than someone cracking your aa or kk with Q83.:eek: