Watching movie while playing poker

Loky13

Loky13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play poker while listening to a good radio station or watching something on tv.... it actually helps me be more relaxed and i don't have the tendency to participate in more hands than i should :)

B

bonanzaJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I

For some time now, I have been playing one or two tables at a time and, figured I am getting easily distracted by my surroundings. That's why I started watching movies or TV shows while playing.
I basically open both on my laptop and reserve left part of the screen for a movie and the right part for poker.

When I have a tough decision to make, I just pause the thing and think about the hand properly.

Does anyone else do this or something similar?
If so, what are you usually watching? I am mostly watching The Grand Tour (Car show), or a TV Show, currently Blacklist and The Mandalorian.

I agree that sometimes tv is a good mechanism to distract me when things are not going well or i havent had a playable hand or situation for a long period of time. The right program can even inspire me to create situations or make creative moves

4nocreativity

4nocreativity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoy watching a show that I've already seen. So it's more background noise to play poker. If I don't have that then I enjoys listening to music while I play

L

lontrus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tried but what usually happens is that I can only pay low attention to a tournament during the early stage. If I manage to make it past the first 50% of players or so, I gradually give the game more attention at which point, I'm pausing the movie more than watching it.

I find shorter videos or audiobooks more manageable to finish adequately.

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I watch a movie I find the poker distracts me from my movie and not vice-versa. I do like having headphones in. It tunes out distractions and keeps me more even tempered.

Sokolik

Sokolik

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always watch a movie when I'm playing poker. I had a free time and need to kill two birds with one stone.

T

tsiab

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to watch tv series in my second screen but since I stopped my game has improved as I am more focused. Now, I will listen to music when I play.

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I play I don't keep the TV on, I lose attention in the game. When I play I just listen to music and nothing else.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately I am guilty of watching TV while playing quite often. Whether it be a game or a movie/tv show I am usually quite capable of completing both tasks but I would likely be better suited if I focused primarily on poker while playing.

nurjemal

nurjemal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can watch movies at the beginning of the tournament and at the end it is better not to be distracted

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a past i've been doing this which means play poker while watching a movie but i spotted that it's annoying me and can't focus on the game. so i stopped that. Believe me It's better for the game.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always put a video that I have already seen on youtube in the background. usually it's always a movie, a historical documentary or one of my favorite youtubers. the main thing for me is to listen to a familiar sound that helps me relax. because I keep everything focused on my table even when I'm not in the game. the series that I haven't seen yet. I prefer to watch them when I finish playing and I never put on music because it increases my stress.

A

AcesAcesAces

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is a great idea to watch something while playing a few tables, fits so well. Some nice tv show in the background! Always got some stream or TV on.