• Total voters
sabir

sabir

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For poker players and those looking to win money, using a HUD is important. The reason for this is simple: a HUD can completely change the way you choose to play a hand, whether by helping you find your opponents' escapes, or even your own.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IF all players can use it its not cheating but if just some specific players have access to it , its cheating

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
No, it's not a hoax if the site allows it, use it because the site itself allows you, so every player who wants can connect it, but I'm personally against any software so personally I don't use any poker applications or other games, I always play in standard mode

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I don't know if it's cheating or not, I personally don't use it and I wouldn't use it either. But there are many people including professionals who use it. That's why I couldn't give an answer as to whether it's cheating or not.

G

Goldenbeardy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
For basic stats I think it is fine. Most of these stats, like VPIP and PFR, if you have a notebook and are observant enough, you could work them out yourself.

It just allows you to take these stats for multiple games at the same time.

hexplore35

hexplore35

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
No,information is an important part of poker

B

bababooey

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I used to use a HUD but now I do not use one not because many sites ban them which I don't mind because I think the players are worse so my edge is bigger.

It was very informative for me when making decisions but I think the development of the game and other training aids are more important.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think you're definitely missing something, a HUD only records the hands played at your table so it isn't giving anything you couldn't observe yourself... a HUD is generally used by those who play a lot of tables or tourneys at the same time....
They can be used to keep track of your own stats and see how you're doing as well.
I don't play multi games anymore so don't find them useful but I don't think paying attention is cheating
... 👍

M

Macaroon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't see why using a HUD is cheating. No different to having a table by you showing all hands in order of importance. I'd have Poker Tracker except that I know I wouldn't be able to understand how to download it and set it up. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Well a HUD and the underlying database does more or less what your brain could also do in a live event.
It observes peoples play at your table and saves it into it's "brain" the database.
You can watch in every live game what hands players play in which way or position.
You can write that down on a piece of paper and use your "notes" for further action in any further hand you play with these players.
So a HUD is not unethical, if so, you can say your brain(that can do this work also) is unethical and cheating too.
I disagree with you. The HUD is another tool that is being made available to the player. And comparing a program that compiles data with the player's brain is a bit unfair, or do you remember the hands I played on PS with you to this day?
One of the reasons I play Poker is because of the beauty that this game produces: A battle of minds. The HUD completely takes away that magic and makes online poker something closer to a Pay to Win game.

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I disagree with you. The HUD is another tool that is being made available to the player. And comparing a program that compiles data with the player's brain is a bit unfair, or do you remember the hands I played on PS with you to this day?
One of the reasons I play Poker is because of the beauty that this game produces: A battle of minds. The HUD completely takes away that magic and makes online Poker something closer to a Pay
I'll answer with a counter question, do you really remember all hands we played on any site?
A HUD displays some basic hints, but it is historical data, a player may have worked hard and plays totally different.
Relying only on the HUD can be crucial mistake. The question is do you play the cards or do you play the player.
If you want a battle of minds play chess not poker, poker is a battle of math.

romerim

romerim

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's a tool that gives you an advantage, for me it's cheating. It should be banned on all websites.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think you're definitely missing something, a HUD only records the hands played at your table so it isn't giving anything you couldn't observe yourself... a HUD is generally used by those who play a lot of tables or tourneys at the same time....
They can be used to keep track of your own stats and see how you're doing as well.
I don't play multi games anymore so don't find them useful but I don't think paying attention is cheating
... 👍

Wanted to repeat your post here

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion using HUD isn't cheating or unethical.

If the poker sites make it very clear that the use of HUD is allowed, all players who play on the site end up agreeing with this rule, otherwise they wouldn't play. So, there's no possibility of talking about cheating.

I also disagree that it's unethical, I don't think that using HUD goes against the principles of poker players.

That said, I'm against the use of HUD. I believe it would be much more fun to play without this tool.

In addition to providing equal conditions for all players, the game would be much less mechanical and much more analytical.

Players would have to play fewer tables at the same time, for example, in addition to having to use their brains more, they would have to think more about each move, each hand played.

Amateur players would also tend to be favored, as the vast majority of them don't use HUD, and I think this is something very important, amateur players and beginner players should have more fun and not just be hunted at the tables.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please don't think that my intent is to cast aspersions on any other member here on Cards Chat, or any players elsewhere.
Until a week or so ago I had no idea what a HUD is, and I got thinking about them and what they do.​

I think that using a HUD while playing online poker is at best unethical, though in my opinion it is probably cheating. One of the rules of poker is that every player plays their own hands, without advice or assistance from any outside source. A Hud is an outside source that gives a player statistics that it has compiled on other players. By doing so it seems to me the rule is being violated. Am I correct or am I missing something?
They are defined as allowed in every site I have ever heard them being used on in the site's TOS...

The fact that that you don't know a TOOL exists doesn't make it wrong for other players to use it. It's on YOU to take all the steps required to bring a competitive game to the poker table.

If you don't like HUDs or playing against people with them, play on a site that doesn't allow them. Don't get upset at others for taking the time to learn more about the tools available to them as agreed upon by each individual site at their own discretion....

You're throwing around a lot of words like "Cheating" and "Unethical" at people who follow the rules expressly laid out by the poker sites...

Just something to think about. You're free to feel however you want about HUDs but by damn if I'm going to sit here and let you try and shame us uncontested because YOU don't understand the rules of the games YOU decide to play in

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I don't know, I don't use it but I don't think it's cheating, it's more of an aid for the player. At least I think so. If I am wrong please let me know

louuu19

louuu19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Players using HUD can give them a slight advantage over other players but i don't think it's cheating, we can't tell if someone is using it anyway

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No one should have an advantage. Equal conditions for all players, then the game will be correct. Either everyone uses HUD, or no one.

machinm19

machinm19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never used huds or solvers or got involved with the gto crowd. I like the feeling of winning or losing bases on my own decisions.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have never used huds or solvers or got involved with the gto crowd. I like the feeling of winning or losing bases on my own decisions.
fwiw, HUDs don't make decisions for you. And a solver isn't used in game.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
They are defined as allowed in every site I have ever heard them being used on in the site's TOS...

The fact that that you don't know a TOOL exists doesn't make it wrong for other players to use it. It's on YOU to take all the steps required to bring a competitive game to the poker table.

If you don't like HUDs or playing against people with them, play on a site that doesn't allow them. Don't get upset at others for taking the time to learn more about the tools available to them as agreed upon by each individual site at their own discretion....

You're throwing around a lot of words like "Cheating" and "Unethical" at people who follow the rules expressly laid out by the poker sites...

Just something to think about. You're free to feel however you want about HUDs but by damn if I'm going to sit here and let you try and shame us uncontested because YOU don't understand the rules of the games YOU decide to play in
I just asked a question based upon my understanding of how the tool works. You are correct that if the sites either allow or don't disallow it then it would be within their rules, and thus not cheating. However "ethical" and "un-ethical" aren't necessarily based upon written rules.

For instance, if a player playing next to you habitually fails to protect their hole cards and you can see them. Would the ethical course of action be to inform the player, or just take advantage of of that extra information?

machinm19

machinm19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fwiw, HUDs don't make decisions for you. And a solver isn't used in game.
But they can influence decisions, I just prefer to get a feel of the game and paying close attention. I play mostly live so relying on a hud would only hinder me. Several of my friends use real time solvers(google it) in game online and one of them even uses the seconds hand on his watch to make decisions both live and online which I find peculiar since he is usually the first one to get stacked in our home game with his so called gto.

rvnhss

rvnhss

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Everyone has access to a HUD whether built in or a software download, but the information gained has limited uses. All the information may or may not have an influence over the current hand because every hand is unique. Even with all the numbers and stats, players can play very different when the "have it" vs. when they don't.

Most of the time the HUD is best used to find fish and whales, but even then, they could get lucky, but mostly you should beat them with your (what I assume is superior because you're on a poker forum looking to improve your game which puts you ahead or the pack) skills, so having a HUD shouldn't affect the play too much.

jproy444

jproy444

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I prefer those where it's not allowed. This way, it's fair for everyone ans you can be sure that nobody use one when you're not.