Are streamers playing on twitch a good example of a poker game?

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I stream on Twitch and enjoy the game to the fullest. I also am a student with Learn Pro Poker. The goal is to be a better player period!
The more I play and study. The more I help to improve my game. Grinding 24/7 would really help but I don't have that luxury to do so.
Scamming people is not on the menu! The great part is I have met so many super people. Some are great players, some are average and some have
never played before. I don't think there is anything wrong with a weekly game night and have fun with your followers. Most people won't watch a streamer berate the chat or scam people. Most people are just regular folks who love poker and want to play a few games each week.

Pavel1203733

Pavel1203733

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
they themselves say that they work on the poker site, or it is a possible unfair advertisement to attract new players
Hello. I think the streams' goals can't be unfair. It's just a work.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Doesn't sound like you've watched any good ones.
I personally learn a lot more while watching one of the streamers I watch, listening to their thought process, seeing what they do in many different spots vs. just playing a session myself. There's 4 or 5 streamers I watch in total, 3 of whom I focus the most time on. WHen I watch a stream I rarely do it for entertainment purposes (although I do that also, and have it playing in the background while I am playing). I take a proactive approach to watching the stream, thinking about what I would do in each spot, taking screenshots of certain spots (especially in PKO's) & then reviewing spots where I wasn't sure if I agreed with the streamer's line, or their view on something. (even just checking the ev of PKO calls by using the Bounty Discount Factor (in Dara's book), &/or Bencb's bounty chart).
I also watch a cash game streamer who plays at same & slightly higher buyins than I do. He has occasionally ran challenges where he will drop back down to 10nl and work his way up (ZOOM-style 6max). It is great to watch this guy and he has been extremely helpful/friendly to me. I have also learned a ton off this guy (it helps that he is the winningest player in that format online period!). Rarely, I will also watch a cash game player who plays high stakes online (it doesn't help me too much at my stakes but it is still interesting to watch).
I watch two MTT streamers, both playing Mid-stakes online. Both are consistent winners for the past 15+ years. One has only had 1 year with less than $100k in profit. That guy plays 40-50+mtt's/ session often playing over 20 tables 'while' streaming and at stakes $40-to-$525 (an abi of ~$90). It's inspiring to watch him play and witness his work ethic. He's also been very helpful.
The 2nd guy I watch, puts in consistent volume, not as many tables as the one guy but has been a winning player for 15+yrs. as well. Originally from USA but moved away after BlackFriday and hasn't been back home to live since. What I like about this guy is that he's willing to explain his thought process for each and every hand. He's a fast talker and is constantly sharing his thought process. I find it to be excellent material! (I'll watch taped sessions of this guy... not necessary to be 'live' at all).
Other things these streamers have taught me is how to study, how to train... how to train using different tools available today. And most of all, what it takes to be a winning player and what that lifestyle to get there really looks like.

Honestly this is just barely touching on what I get out of watching these streamers. It is well worth the price I pay to sub to their channels. (and I prefer to sub as opposed to watching for free)

You'd be right I sure haven't. My time is limited and any free time I do have I'm either playing or reviewing hands to make sure my game stays on track. I'm not guy who has hours to sit around watching people play poker when I can be sitting, doing it myself and making money. Also I simply don't much enjoy watching people play poker or anything I can do and play myself at a decently competitive level. Now if I suck at something it's different.....

With all that said with my plan being to move up this time once I reach 50nl and am consistently beating it again I feel at some point my study habits after likely gonna need to change and I'll have to start looking to improve my game as the competition gets tougher. So I may have to look into finding some good streams and material to study. Would you care to share the few you enjoy watching? I'd be very thankful if you would.

Also sorry for the delayed reply been a very busy few days meant to reply sooner.

Cheers!!!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You'd be right I sure haven't. My time is limited and any free time I do have I'm either playing or reviewing hands to make sure my game stays on track. I'm not guy who has hours to sit around watching people play poker when I can be sitting, doing it myself and making money. Also I simply don't much enjoy watching people play poker or anything I can do and play myself at a decently competitive level. Now if I suck at something it's different.....

With all that said with my plan being to move up this time once I reach 50nl and am consistently beating it again I feel at some point my study habits after likely gonna need to change and I'll have to start looking to improve my game as the competition gets tougher. So I may have to look into finding some good streams and material to study. Would you care to share the few you enjoy watching? I'd be very thankful if you would.

Also sorry for the delayed reply been a very busy few days meant to reply sooner.

Cheers!!!

Sure. Let me know for what type of game & I'll let you know which ones I like, & why. (I haven't tried out a huge amount as I've managed to find a few good ones and a bit of what I've watched at some of the super popular ones, didn't appeal to me at all). I prefer the ones who are humble, and enjoy sharing their thought process.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Very bad example I would say , you can learn one two things , but nothing more , I think watching poker streams is pure entertainment. Exception could be make if a very good poker pro streamer streams only one game , do you can watch this game , the way he bets or plays with bluffs or RNG

It irritates me a lot to watch nowadays streamers switching from one table to the other , trying to show a nice hand where they win , you cannot follow all the action , watch carefully all the streamers actions , I don't know , I think it's just for the show . So yeah , it's not a way to learn

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Sure. Let me know for what type of game & I'll let you know which ones I like, & why. (I haven't tried out a huge amount as I've managed to find a few good ones and a bit of what I've watched at some of the super popular ones, didn't appeal to me at all). I prefer the ones who are humble, and enjoy sharing their thought process.

Thanks so much.

When the time comes I'll likely be looking for good streamers at or above 100nl cash. I'd prefer full-ring but I'm gonna have to get better or at least more confident in 6 max as not much runs full-ring above 50nl full-ring it seems. Also mid stakes MTT's($20 and above). I think I need to improve a bit there. Have held my own in the past over small sample size though. So I'm not terrible just stayed in them micro-low stakes pools so long don't honestly know how good I am or where my skill level and ability top out at. Gonna find out though.

Cheers!!!

laihuynh

laihuynh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
Every game needs to be advertised to players, so live streaming, to promote a poker site is nothing to infer.

Top 10 Games