Sitting out ,do you try to steal chips ?

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take full advantage because it goes both ways : it will be against you and to your advantage.
As for those who say they feel bad it full of crap ,lets see if they feel bad if its like a bubble for a million dollars tournament

rafcio20p

rafcio20p

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends of course on the size of the blinds and on the people playing at the table. This is definitely part of the tactic and I think you have to use it skillfully.

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One must enter the table with a game strategy, stealing chips is one of those as long as the situation allows it, what he would not do is bluff when there is no need or when the situation of the hand is complicated.

rafcio20p

rafcio20p

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are a lot of freerolls here where half the table is not playing. It's not the fault of the players at the table, you have to steal the blinds.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are opening from the SB, it's a common thing.

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's good practice for when you're in a game with an overly passive player. How much wider are you going to go to attack the dead blinds? How much wider are the other live players at the table going? It creates interesting dynamics that keep the games lively.

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that depends on the position in which he is and on the cards he has

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't consider it stealing chips if someone is sitting out. The only time I will wait is if i'm playing a hu sngo and they are disconnected or sitting out to start the match. At that point I either check every hand down or fold my small blind until they come back.

rafcio20p

rafcio20p

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're right. It's best to play your own strategy, as it usually puts you off balance.
I don't consider it stealing chips if someone is sitting out. The only time I will wait is if i'm playing a hu sngo and they are disconnected or sitting out to start the match. At that point I either check every hand down or fold my small blind until they come back.

L

Lexand

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't consider stealing tokens if someone is out. The only time I will wait is if I am playing a hu sngo and they are disconnected or stopped to start the game. At that point, I check all hands or fold the small blind until they come back.

Some months there was a heads up of a tournament where one of the players was left out and the player waited until the other player returned and this generated a lot of discussion and many questioned how long it would be right to wait until he returned. This is quite relative, I would not wait for long.

As for stealing player's blinds during the tournament, I always do, it's a way to maintain my stack. :)

K

kobra80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course the steal blinds if the player is on sit-out.there are free chips

D

daurensdo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
even as I try, if I feel that there is nothing wrong, I bet big

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course I steal. It's not my fault that a player is on sit out. Every chip counts.

I

iLoV3P0ker

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm stealing when some1 is sitting out

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mandatory plunder without hesitation...

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course I am stealing. A few times I was the only one not sitting out at the table and I stole all their chips.

C

ChinoBl1ng

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends your chip stack and how many bbs you have at the bubble.

I don’t mind opening and folding to raise option especially if people at your table is playing tight

But if your low stack U gotta play super tight n make the money. No point u being aggressive and your low stack.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It all depends on your chip-stack and if you can afford to lose a few chips? If I am on the button and the BB and SB are sat out, sure I will steal with any two cards, and even if I find a player with fewer chips than me sat behind a sitter I will raise in any position to try and steal the blinds, sometimes especially when close to the bubble even a 2 X raise is enough to get the job done.
Stealing blinds from sitter's is not a crime, and what really annoys me most is when there is a sitter on the BB and the small blind folds to the sitter keeping him in the game. I see it all too often when you get a novice playing.
There might be a perfectly reasonable explanation for people sitting out in a Tourney, (lost connection, or called away on other business), but to fold to a sitting player is a useless waste of everyone's time.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If they are sitting out you should NOT limp to them, you should NOT fold to them, just min raise and keep it moving.

I did NOT know this was something people thought about, as far as I am concerned it is a part of poker. What is the alternative??? To fold? And give away 1.5BBs and any antes ? Not happening here. Limp and allow a player who is sitting out to win a pot? Sorry, not happening. On the flip side, I occasionally sit out Mtt's for a variety of reasons and I fully expect my chips to blind away. As I said, "it is a part of the game"

Just to be clear- I fully agree with the post I quoted !

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always.

I will bid 2 or 3 times the blind to get them to fold.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When you see a player sitting out in the big blind do you try to steal his chips by bluffing?

It depends. If I am in early and mid positions I never try, now if I am in late position I try only if nobody has entered the game. In early positions and if someone came into the game I simply play as if there is no one sitting out.

AmyricoLiliana

AmyricoLiliana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are times when I'm sitting out, most of the time when I'm in a winning position.
It's also like I forget when it starts and I'm constantly sitting out until I'm

D

direv

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Stealing the Blinds?

Stealing the blinds is part of the strategy, I understand this, but I do not strive for this, I always act according to the situation at the table, relying on my hand and intuition. With an empty hand and bluffing, I don't find it profitable. On the other hand, the attacking blinds with a weak hand can see the fish for other players, which can play in the benefit.
:confused:

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see people now sit out and sit back in quickly if they have a good hand. Seems like a shady strategy but if your willing to steal then be prepared for the resteal. The worst is when they are sitting out and they have an all in situation and they are awarded the pot. I truly believe players sitting out should automatically be mucked and lose the hand.

Poker Chips - History of Chips