Should you quit a juicy game if you're running like absolute sh*t?

G

Gakcards

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think you should quit. May be take a break and come back. Hope that your cards change.

C

CaptainXL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It can be a good idea to quit, because even though you might think, you are not affected and still playing your A-game, often times the truth is somewhat different. And there is also the psycological aspect, where ofter players will know, you are losing, and might therefore be more likely to get involved with you. For this reason even just changing tables can sometimes be a good idea. Wash away the bad memories and start with a clean plate.

This is the truth beyond the truth, though changing tables might not help.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Math doesn't care about feelings. As I've said before in online games...I play as close to a robot as possible. GTO. I believe long term math wins over emotional choices. That being said when I first started playing I would hang around tables way too long thinking ohhh..... I haven't won in so long I must be due.

Now if I am running bad and I start to feel myself mentally deteriorate a little. I instantly close and walk away. Emotion almost never helps in poker. At the end of the day the cards do the talking anyway.

Playing robotically close to GTO will be useful in high stakes poker with pros (Negreanu on his YouTube channel once said something like close to GTO at those levels is basically required just so your opponents "don't exploit the hell out of you."), but GTO is less relevant in my poker games (even if I know a little GTO for that spot).

True that GTO can't be exploited mathematically even if the opponent knows you are playing GTO, but playing unbalanced and exploitatively can be even more profitable if your opponents aren't playing optimally. We should keep in mind that GTO is the optimal strategy when your opponents are playing "perfect" strategy (humanly close to it anyway), but if they make the same mistakes constantly, then you can potentially win more by taking advantage of that.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So yesterday and today I've been running like absolute sh*t on GG.

Assuming your decisions are not being affected much by the nasty run, ie. you're still making EV+ decisions, is it a good idea to quit a good game so as to maybe find lady Variance in a better mood later?
Or maybe keep playing, until the variance changes direction? The risk being you might already get $200 down, and a $30 upswing won't help you much.

I'm not superstitious at all, but this kinda bad runs are making me have second thoughts. That damn graph looks like it's keeping going down.

https://i.ibb.co/WB78wTB/shite2.png
https://i.ibb.co/Qf7q5zN/shite1.png

What is best to do in these cases?
It's very difficult to step away from a juicy game even while running bad. I lose a lot of money playing against fishes.

Many a times the position at the table also matters. If the fish is sitting to your left then the EV gets transferred from us to other regs.

Top 10 Games