Should you quit a juicy game if you're running like absolute sh*t?

J

JEN005

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So yesterday and today I've been running like absolute sh*t on GG.

Assuming your decisions are not being affected much by the nasty run, ie. you're still making EV+ decisions, is it a good idea to quit a good game so as to maybe find lady Variance in a better mood later?
Or maybe keep playing, until the variance changes direction? The risk being you might already get $200 down, and a $30 upswing won't help you much.

I'm not superstitious at all, but this kinda bad runs are making me have second thoughts. That damn graph looks like it's keeping going down.

https://i.ibb.co/WB78wTB/shite2.png
https://i.ibb.co/Qf7q5zN/shite1.png

What is best to do in these cases?

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have found my luck/variance runs on a daily schedule. If I have a bad day, I look forward to having a good run the next night. On these bad days, there is nothing I can do to placate the gods of poker.

For some, a change of play or game might help. For me, it is a daily cycle.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It can be a good idea to quit, because even though you might think, you are not affected and still playing your A-game, often times the truth is somewhat different. And there is also the psycological aspect, where ofter players will know, you are losing, and might therefore be more likely to get involved with you. For this reason even just changing tables can sometimes be a good idea. Wash away the bad memories and start with a clean plate.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a set amount of money I am willing to lose (usually 3 buy ins). If I go through that then I am done, regardless of how juicy the game is. Just have to hope for a good game on a different day when variance is on my side.

zvezdadelije

zvezdadelije

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't quit if there's a juicy game. You shouldn't give up especially if you are doing the right thing or/and your opponent is doing the wrong things at the table.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Always set a limit. Variance can kill you if you catch a run of 'Run-Bad'.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yup, I completely agree that some days are better to opt out of.

Put it down to algorithms or variance but some days I run in a farcical manner -nothing but relentless rags. This week I cashed several times but only in one tourney did I have a blissful run where I kept climbing through nutted hands rather than strong hands. In all other tourneys it was like pushing a rock uphill - the entire week.

Good job I am just swimming in free roll waters.

C

capujoss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It would be a very good idea to quit at that moment. I have seen the tide turn so many times and you end up losing your complete BR instead of finishing the day profitable.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's usually EV+ to quit when you're having a run of bad luck.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Analyze your hands in specialized programs. It is possible that the error lies in some specific aspect of the game.

D

Dandadandan

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing online I'd quit if I was running bad and lost a couple of buy-ins. If it's a live game I usually bring 2 or 3 buy ins with me and only leave if I lose all of it. If it's a home game with friends I'll probably go to the ATM (or start writing down debts) and stay in the game til it's done.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Assuming your decisions are not being affected much by the nasty run, ie. you're still making EV+ decisions, is it a good idea to quit a good game so as to maybe find lady Variance in a better mood later?
Or maybe keep playing, until the variance changes direction? The risk being you might already get $200 down, and a $30 upswing won't help you much.

I'm not superstitious at all, but this kinda bad runs are making me have second thoughts. That damn graph looks like it's keeping going down.

Okay, no offense, but this seems like an oxymoronic question. If you're in a juicy game then how are u running like sh!t? Usually if the game is "juicy" then there are fish re-loading without remorse and I'm cleaning up. Just trying to figure that one out.
Anyway, if I'm running bad at a table then I'll slow down a bit, watch the other players for some weaknesses or bluff patterns and then go see what I can accomplish w/that info. If it seems that it just isn't "in the cards" for me then I'll go play another game like PLO or PLO8. Maybe find a heads-up table and chill there for a bit. GL, man.

C

CaptainXL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe in statistics, no previous hands matter to the probability of your next hand.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't give up and I won't give up but lately I'm just playing a few tournaments, I'm kind of taking some time in poker

“Success is the ability to go from defeat to defeat without losing your enthusiasm.”

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have had a few bad nights when I was at a juicy table but running bad. Hard to leave

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are playing well and it is all +EV, then ideally stay in the juicy game. However, it is usually a good idea to quit because staying in the juicy game is only profitable if you are playing with your usual edge and not tilted.

For most players, quitting is the best option and coming back with a fresh mindset and new day is good, but if you are a stoic pro, then you'll probably stay in a good game.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As I wrote 16 month ago, when this thread was new, the psycological aspect can not be ignored in cash games. If you are running hot, you will build up a big stack, and a lot of people will not want to get involved with you, because they assume, you:

a) Must be very good to have build that large stack
b) Has a lucky day, and that this luck is to much for them to overcome
c) Wont fold if they try to bluff you, because you can afford to call

Whereas if you have been felted a few times, other players will have noticed this, and it can easily make you a bit of a target. People will think, you are tilting, or that you never have it, so you are likely to get called or raised a lot more, and to just not be allowed to pick up any easy pots without showdown. And unless you are truly strong enough to contend with this, it might be better to quit for the day or even just change to another table.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you are no longer in the game, you will lose! You can gamble, right, but in Poker maths will eventually get you

B

bnasp2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Juicy game is just juicy. If you are able to control your tilt, you should stay.
Just make sure its really juicy game for you, and not for the others.

But e.g. if someone keeps pushing weak hands or calling station and he just hits the river every time (with low %), then you should make a deep breath and stay with your A game.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it always makes sense to be in cash in good lineups, of course, no one has canceled the variance, but more often you will realize your equity and earn money

B

benrasberry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like going into the session with a maximum amount that I am okay with losing. For me, that is usually 3 full buyins, or 300 BBs.

M

mrc1988

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Math doesn't care about feelings. As I've said before in online games...I play as close to a robot as possible. GTO. I believe long term math wins over emotional choices. That being said when I first started playing I would hang around tables way too long thinking ohhh..... I haven't won in so long I must be due.

Now if I am running bad and I start to feel myself mentally deteriorate a little. I instantly close and walk away. Emotion almost never helps in poker. At the end of the day the cards do the talking anyway.

lexyyxel

lexyyxel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my exp yes you should quit and back next time with a fresh mind else you will have a very long night!

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes--you should quit when you are not ahead -:)

Top 10 Games