Should I play several poker tables at a time

vanmin2152x

vanmin2152x

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
VN
Chips
From my personal point of view, playing several tables at a time reduces the ability to analyze the situation, moreover, it prevents us from focusing on monitoring the progress of the game and affecting the tournament.

sabir

sabir

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,
You should start by 2 tables first
when you get more experience you can play 4
My advice stay playing 4 tables max for long time its gonna help you to get more experience with hands to play and other situations (position, SPR, EV, etc)

most impotant thing you have to manage your bankroll, Never play more than 2% or 3% of your bankroll in those tables

Good luck

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
For you, it sounds like you are more comfortable not playing several so stick with what you're doing.

I'd say it depends on the player, their experience, familiarity with the player pool at their level etc.

With more experience, the more they have been in certain situations and they find decision making easier. They can play more mechanically without having to think long and hard very often as they've been in similar spots before.

They might not perform quite as well at each individual table with the more tables they add. Still, it can be the right move for them if it results in more total profit at the end.

Easy example - A player typically makes 6bb and hour playing one table in a cash game. They make 4bb an hour on each table if they play 2 because they can't give all their attention to just one table. 4x2=8bb an hour so they make more money playing 2 and it's better for them than playing one. If the same player made 3bb an hour from each table when playing 3 tables then that is better still, 3x3= 9bb an hour. Less per table, but more overall per hour. If they then try to play 4 tables at the same time and only make 1 bb an hour at each one then they're down to making 4 an hour which would be worse for them than all the other options.

The same principle applies in tournaments, and scales up no matter how many tables we're talking about. They might lose some of their edge in a specific tournament but because they're playing more of them at once, it can be beneficial. It can also harm them. Everyone will have their own sweet spot of how many tables they can manage.

I don't know your experience, but beginner players should always start with very few tables, preferably just one, and only slowly add them. One day they might be able to handle 8, 12, 16 tables etc.

Last edited:
S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the most tables i play at one time is 2. more than that and i am rushed in decisions.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
increasing tables comes with experience, and your expectation will change depending on the number of tables, and the variance will smooth out, but all this will come with time, good luck

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends of the player. My ideal number are 4 tables (5 is ok too) and I don't lose focus. But if I play more than 5 tables, I definitely start to lose focus, but I've seen poker pros playing like 20-30 tables at the same time. Dont really know how they can handle all that amount of tables..lol

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You should play as many tables as you feel comfortable with. It is unwise to increase the number of tables at the expense of the quality of the game.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
С моей личной точки зрения, игра на нескольких столах одновременно снижает способность анализировать ситуацию, более того, не позволяет нам сосредоточиться на отслеживании хода игры и влиянии на турнир.
if you only play one poker table, you'll be winning money for a very long time because you just might be out of your mind and you'll be eliminated to the prizes and you still have to play a lot of tables. If you have a hard time playing many tables, just remember how to play from different positions and it will be easier for you to play many tables

N

neverbluff0799

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I guess it really depand of the stakes and how confortable u are honnestly

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the best way to look at this is to try to maximize your hourly earnings.

If its difficult to multi-table try adding tables gradually and staggering the start times. You want to make sure you have enough time to focus later in games when it matters the most. If you stagger the start times of tourneys they should be in different stages and it should be easier to play.

Fosterbio

Fosterbio

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
From my personal point of view, playing several tables at a time reduces the ability to analyze the situation, moreover, it prevents us from focusing on monitoring the progress of the game and affecting the tournament.
If you created this topic, then there is no one ... Play one table, when you reimburse your attention so that it will become boring after one - load one more, so then

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Once you become more experienced you'll want to play more tables and it won't negatively affect how you're able to analyze situations. In fact, playing only 3 or 4 will be so boring that THIS will affect you & you will need to add more... & more until you find that just the right amount.

Miyagi not miyaji

Miyagi not miyaji

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Just remember when you keep adding tables, you're not exactly able to pay attention to all the action in all the tables. So you're clicking buttons.

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Since you are a beginner player, no, you don't have to play multiple tables. As explained, playing multiple tables comes with experience. I rarely do it, I don't like it: you lose control mainly because you have to switch between tables, and that's very inconvenient; plus there are glitches - in general, I do it very rarely. I don't judge those who play that way.

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah definently reccomend playing on one table for a longer time until you get the hold of it, then you move up. But I dont think anyone can play quality poker on more than 4 tables.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Yes but only if you're a winning player. If not then there's no reason to lose double what you're currently losing. So I'd start by double tabling at first and see how it goes. If you're currently only a small winning player or break even doubling table may swing you into being losing player at first till you get comfortable with it. So at first I only double tabled when I was feeling really fresh, awake and fully rested.

I'd also recommend getting a HUD if the site you play at allows the use of HUD's as this well help greatly and take the pressure off of you to remember all 16-18 players and their tendencies. If the site you play at doesn't allow them well that sucks and makes it harder but I'd still buy a HUD simply just to use offline and for studying. They really are invaluable for study and hand review in my opinion.

Cheers!!!

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
only if you have the concentratoins and patience for it

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
You should play one table for, let's say, 1 week. What's your average hourly profit? 10 dollars for example. Then, play 2 tables for the same period of time... What's your average hourly profit? If it is above 10 dollars stick to playing 2 tables simultaneously. If it is below 10 dollars, go back to playing 1 table.

jproy444

jproy444

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
2 tables at first is a good start. You can add some if you have good results.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I tried it Years ago and the biggest problem is when Blinds are getting bigger in one Tournament and you are starting another there are times when you should be careful on one table and play tight, while being aggressive on another table. Getting the 2 confused can be an expensive mistake. So take great care on what you are doing.

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
A good indicator to play not enough tables is to get bored. But there are actually lots of things to do while you are not in a hand. For example taking notes, fitting your ranges against single opponents whose RFI are far from the norm (nits, lags) or closely analyzing their betsizes for tells.

N

Niykk

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should play max 2 tables at a time. I do the same.

Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
When playing in "Zoom" format, where tables switch constantly and there are no consistent rivals to analyze, I don't see any harm in multitabling. However, in tournaments, I view it differently, paying attention can often yield better results. And as you rightly point out, I agree that there are many downsides to it.

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think it depends on how many tables you feel comfortable playing with. For example, with 4 tables I am fine and I can make good decisions. But that's starting to get complicated for me.