Putting up with trash-talk

S

Sseppe

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I mostly never take part in trash-talks or any kind of chat during poker ... when someone gets aggressive or desrespectful for someone else, I mostly leave the table. I still want to have fun with the game...

I guess, the anonymity of online games makes people write things they won’t ever say in real life?

once I had a nice and long chat with my opponent on a 2-person table though... so chat during poker can also be fun/interesting.

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I just don't talk in chat. The trash talk is amusing sometimes, and when I see somebody constantly firing off messages I'm inclined to go after them since they tend to come off as loose cannons, but in general I try to ignore it altogether and focus on the game.

mistershrimpy

mistershrimpy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No need to read the chat, it only distracts. Especially if they write insults and other delusional thoughts into the chat. All the more answer them. Once a Polish girl at the table scoffed at the others and rudely insulted them. But she got so carried away that she made one rash move and flew out of the tournament with nothing. So it is better to concentrate on the game.

B

bright019

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No need to read the chat, it only distracts. Especially if they write insults and other delusional thoughts into the chat. .

I agree , chat doesn't add anything to the game in general. Only in friendly home games I tend to have the chat on but otherwise I have turned it off in PS. Some pokerrooms don't even have the possibility to chat , like unibet and I like it.

J

jbear54321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never pay attention to the chat. There's nothing worth reading in the chat and it distracts me if I try to read it.

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mute them, or turn off chat if that is not an option. I like being friendly at the table, so I will leave it on if I can.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
99% of the time, I don't respond to trash-talk in chat. However, today I had to...

My aggressive style was criticized first. No big deal. I'm used to that. But when homophobic or other discriminatory language is used, I start to get angry.

I responded with plenty of comments about how weak, cowardly and stupid the other player was (very tight/conservative) and started taking down pots. He refused to go all in with me for a while and kept talking trash about my style of play.

Finally, he goes all in with KK against a weaker player and his kings get cracked. Half his stack was gone. So, I put a nice "HAAHAAAAHAAAA" in chat. :)

He tried to say he accidentally shoved and proceeded to tilt, shoving all subsequent hands until I called one and took his remaining chips. I think my last words to him were "oops" as I had beat him with some low connectors.

I feel justified/vindicated but also a little foolish since I allowed myself to get sucked into trash-talk. I'll probably just ignore all unfriendly chat going forward.

But what do you do? Have you caught yourself getting sucked into that mess before? Or are you able to just play through it?

No one can criticize you for your style of play. Your goal is to collect all the chips, and how you will do it during the game is your business.
So I think that in the chat is not worth paying attention. Let the scribes write for themselves

RutgersOneTime

RutgersOneTime

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never get angry. Only respond when they say things completely out of line, and it’s usually just a “you must be 12 if that’s how you offend people” and that usually works lol

Barbarrossa

Barbarrossa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
99% of the time, I don't respond to trash-talk in chat. However, today I had to...

My aggressive style was criticized first. No big deal. I'm used to that. But when homophobic or other discriminatory language is used, I start to get angry.

I responded with plenty of comments about how weak, cowardly and stupid the other player was (very tight/conservative) and started taking down pots. He refused to go all in with me for a while and kept talking trash about my style of play.

Finally, he goes all in with KK against a weaker player and his kings get cracked. Half his stack was gone. So, I put a nice "HAAHAAAAHAAAA" in chat. :)

He tried to say he accidentally shoved and proceeded to tilt, shoving all subsequent hands until I called one and took his remaining chips. I think my last words to him were "oops" as I had beat him with some low connectors.

I feel justified/vindicated but also a little foolish since I allowed myself to get sucked into trash-talk. I'll probably just ignore all unfriendly chat going forward.

But what do you do? Have you caught yourself getting sucked into that mess before? Or are you able to just play through it?

I've chatted with others in CHAT but I don't do much against people who act this way except.. When they lose a hand.. I put in nice hand to the winner. It doesn't look like I'm doing it pointing at them because I do say NH occasionally. But with them.. if they get beat with a bad beat... the same Nice Hand can set them off somewhat. Pretty much nothing they do can bring me to their level.. IE if they start badmouthing my play or others I pretty much don't respond to them.. They look kinda foolish going off in a vacuum..

J

jdmBlue

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I`m temperamental about stuff like that so I just always turn off chat at the tables. I don`t like people giving me hard time during game play. I guess it`s part of their strategy to get people riled up and emotional. I`ve played in some privately sponsored games where people are usually just friendly so chat there is more sociable.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
I always have my chat on.
And don’t normally chat except a NH or If a player is from an English speaking country I try to start a decent conversation with them.

But at times you come across a donk or 2 who shove all in with any Ax.

That’s when I start abusing on the chat, in a way it throws them off guard and they start playing more stupid which is good for me :):):D:D

M

maxboy44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bellicoso,
What exactly does "shove" and "tilt" mean ?

M

maxboy44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I normally reply with something polite like "nice" or "have a nice day". Whether they understand the sarcasm is in doubt.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't respond to trash talk, it doesn't hold any value online. I usually let those players talk themselves off of the table.

S

sergo1203

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read the chat. I reply only jokes to those who write bad things. but it all depends on my mood. you do not know the person, what you write nasty things about him? I do not understand.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TrashTalking is the greatest thing alive , Especially when it comes to Online play...Then everybody becomes the royal toughguy. Me Personally , I poke right back. I may not get as creative with some of these guys usuing racial slurs and the good ol one liners like "You're an idiot" or "big ol stoopie poopie dumbdumb" but In the end just like Highlander , There can be Only One. I also like it because it makes me realize that I am actually starting to put the guy on tilt.

djasset

djasset

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
trash talk

if somebody really pisses me off, I just may post their statistics in the chat box

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I responded with plenty of comments about how weak, cowardly and stupid the other player was (very tight/conservative) and started taking down pots.

Hey buddy
My grandpa said once that "Religion is like a penis. It's good that you have one, it's good that you know how to use it, but please don't show it to my children."

Replace religion with that homo-shmomo thing that you like and it will be the same. There is a technology named Overton windows, and by using this technology this homo-lolo BS becomes popular.

And don't call me disrespectful discriminator, cause by advertising your homo-shmomo liking opinion you're discriminating my heterosexual point of view. There is absolutely no need for the society to know about coming outs and such BS. What you're doing in your bedroom is your own personal problem, there is absolutely no need for us to know if you're dating your hand, your boyfriend, girlfriend or even your dog. I hope that one day one human will invent a online/offline platform where people with mental problems can discuss their needs and share their thoughts, away from normal people who have normal families and who don't want their children to know what this homo-shmomo thing is. Have a look at Anonimous Alcoholics, a perfect example. There can be Anonimous Rainbow Unicorns - a society or groups for these people.:wink:

Now if we'll get back to the subject.
People play poker for positive and negative emotions. When you lose or win you're provider or consumer of these emotions. I'm very sanguine person and I take such things in chat with a smile and healthy sarcasm, but that's me. I understand that some TILT has happened right now at the other end of the poker table, and negative emotions are exploding in the air there. That's good, player has received what he was looking for.
From your position in described situation tilt has happened to you because of other players aggression. You've won the card game, but you've lost the menthal fight that's what we see as observers, because you've started this post and explained your reasons for tilt there.
It's better to pay attention to self control mate. Cause who knows what might happen to you after some bad experience during video games or movies.
Amen

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hey buddy
My grandpa said once that "Religion is like a penis. It's good that you have one, it's good that you know how to use it, but please don't show it to my children."

Replace religion with that homo-shmomo thing that you like and it will be the same. There is a technology named Overton windows, and by using this technology this homo-lolo BS becomes popular.

And don't call me disrespectful discriminator, cause by advertising your homo-shmomo liking opinion you're discriminating my heterosexual point of view. There is absolutely no need for the society to know about coming outs and such BS. What you're doing in your bedroom is your own personal problem, there is absolutely no need for us to know if you're dating your hand, your boyfriend, girlfriend or even your dog. I hope that one day one human will invent a online/offline platform where people with mental problems can discuss their needs and share their thoughts, away from normal people who have normal families and who don't want their children to know what this homo-shmomo thing is. Have a look at Anonimous Alcoholics, a perfect example. There can be Anonimous Rainbow Unicorns - a society or groups for these people.:wink:

Now if we'll get back to the subject.
People play poker for positive and negative emotions. When you lose or win you're provider or consumer of these emotions. I'm very sanguine person and I take such things in chat with a smile and healthy sarcasm, but that's me. I understand that some TILT has happened right now at the other end of the poker table, and negative emotions are exploding in the air there. That's good, player has received what he was looking for.
From your position in described situation tilt has happened to you because of other players aggression. You've won the card game, but you've lost the menthal fight that's what we see as observers, because you've started this post and explained your reasons for tilt there.
It's better to pay attention to self control mate. Cause who knows what might happen to you after some bad experience during video games or movies.
Amen

Wow! You're even more of a jerk off than I had already realized. (and trust me... that was pretty hard to top)

Maikl113

Maikl113

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually do not answer anyone in the chat and do not write. Sometimes I can answer with a smiley face). Just don't see the point in empty communication, in a live tournament communication would be the place to be.