Putting up with trash-talk

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
99% of the time, I don't respond to trash-talk in chat. However, today I had to...

My aggressive style was criticized first. No big deal. I'm used to that. But when homophobic or other discriminatory language is used, I start to get angry.

I responded with plenty of comments about how weak, cowardly and stupid the other player was (very tight/conservative) and started taking down pots. He refused to go all in with me for a while and kept talking trash about my style of play.

Finally, he goes all in with KK against a weaker player and his kings get cracked. Half his stack was gone. So, I put a nice "HAAHAAAAHAAAA" in chat. :)

He tried to say he accidentally shoved and proceeded to tilt, shoving all subsequent hands until I called one and took his remaining chips. I think my last words to him were "oops" as I had beat him with some low connectors.

I feel justified/vindicated but also a little foolish since I allowed myself to get sucked into trash-talk. I'll probably just ignore all unfriendly chat going forward.

But what do you do? Have you caught yourself getting sucked into that mess before? Or are you able to just play through it?

S

Super_Gleb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Frankly speaking, i never read the chat. I don't want to do it. No sense.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Frankly speaking, i never read the chat. I don't want to do it. No sense.

Probably the best thing. In any case, this is certainly one of the reasons why I don't play live. I doubt I could control my temper if this happened in a live game.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing online, there are some options that i change when i enter the poker room, And the chat, is one of them: off. It's really something that doesn't give value to my game.

B

BesseNuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats a good question! I just dont give a damn. Everything that could tilt your game, is not good! The better thing that you can do is to play! show him why you are better. Never needed to... but, how we report something like that?

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats a good question! I just dont give a damn. Everything that could tilt your game, is not good! The better thing that you can do is to play! show him why you are better. Never needed to... but, how we report something like that?

I don't think it necessarily needed to be reported. I get it, trash-talk is part of the game; and I did end up wiping the other player out, so I won in the end. I just thought it was really ridiculous the amount of hate-speech that was involved. I mean, it was a freeroll; the Venom Step 1/6, after all... :)

Last edited:
F

Friendlyfire

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Chat

Disable chat and focus on. It’s a distraction.

B

bidearm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its hard to ignore sometimes and sometimes they will get to you

B

Bertie Wooster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
99% of the time, I don't respond to trash-talk in chat. However, today I had to...

My aggressive style was criticized first. No big deal. I'm used to that. But when homophobic or other discriminatory language is used, I start to get angry.

I responded with plenty of comments about how weak, cowardly and stupid the other player was (very tight/conservative) and started taking down pots. He refused to go all in with me for a while and kept talking trash about my style of play.

Finally, he goes all in with KK against a weaker player and his kings get cracked. Half his stack was gone. So, I put a nice "HAAHAAAAHAAAA" in chat. :)

He tried to say he accidentally shoved and proceeded to tilt, shoving all subsequent hands until I called one and took his remaining chips. I think my last words to him were "oops" as I had beat him with some low connectors.

I feel justified/vindicated but also a little foolish since I allowed myself to get sucked into trash-talk. I'll probably just ignore all unfriendly chat going forward.

But what do you do? Have you caught yourself getting sucked into that mess before? Or are you able to just play through it?

Maybe I am too old for nonsense. As soon as I see someone being an asshat, I turn off the chat window.

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol, I never read the chat and turn notifications off. No any useful info there.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would you have made this post if you lost the hand?

Seems unnecessary to call off jams with low suited connectors when you didn't have to.

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ignored all the trash talk, keep focus observe your opponents and keep listening see if anything they say would help you after.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to read chat to see who is trash talking but I don't care.

T

timz10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chat

there realy isnt much chat but yes whrn someone does and gets rude i get into it doesnt happen live game dealer put stop to it online dealer says lets keep friendly never seen anything done

T

timz10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tabel chat

in live game i enjoy chat from nice hand to do you got kings thats what tabel chat should be still want webcam poker:cool:

C

Cloud2218

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I almost always put something pointless in place of the chat. Like game stats.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the Russians and Portuguese on pokerstars the worst.. i been called every possible rude name...
abused when i win and humiliated when i lose
i no longer turn on chat when i play at PokerStars

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had someone trying to do something similar today - I say something similar because he/she did not swear at all just called the first person that took some of his chips an imbecile then a donk and it was pretty PG rated stuff no real 4 letter words. Eventually the game got to heads up and he made some comment that was unintelligible to me. I then took all his chips with a subpar starting hand (one I would have folded earlier in the game) but took on his raise and hit a lucky flop so pushed him all in. I just laughed as he called me an imbecile I put a lmao in the chat and went on to another game heh heh.

Personally, I don't care how good anyone is or how good they think they are. IF they are playing in micro-stakes they have no business trash talking people about their play. If you are that good, you want people playing that way so you are more profitable, if you continue to lose maybe you are not as good as you think ~

It's all just white noise on the internet so if it distracts you shut off chat. But little is as satisfying as taking their chips!

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
I never respond to them. If I find the chat rude or abusive I report them. Must report them either they just do next time to someone else.

Each player has a right play their game in peace without abuse.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I generally don't pay attention to chat... but I like to leave it up because I have read some funny stuff. when I feel like I can use chat as an edge in the game I absolutely will. I've tilted players a few times in chat. and when I know it's getting under their skin I troll harder.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I am with you completely on this. I haven't seen the racist/homophobe retorts for a while because I have been shutting it off more often than having it on. But I have put many in their place and used a similar HaaaHAAAAhaaa each time they took a bad hit. It's the only time I feel its ok to brutally taunt someone, otherwise I take it as sarcasm - sometimes it's funny and sometimes it's uncalled for (or a poor attempt made to put someone else on tilt) lol

D

DGautreau86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find some playful trash talk to be ok, and part of the game... but the line can be fine in terms of what is acceptable and what is not. Some Jerk the other day was effectively talking trash and attacking other player’s place of origin in a sit and go, resulting in the outcome of the tourney changing in my opinion. Pokerstars ended up suspending his chat for 6 months as a result. Ultimately I think it’s ok, but nothing hateful to incite anger, then it’s not fair.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try not to pay attention to what they write in the chat. Especially since I know only a few words in English.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the best advice against rudeness in online poker - it's completely disable your chat in the program settings. In the extreme case, it is necessary to write in the poker room administration.