Is it possible to be happy playing poker online without a regular job?

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Don't think so. If you want to waste most of your time for constant stress near the monitor than it is not the happiness. The game should bring pleasure without harming health.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I think if someone does just one thing, they will burn out in a short time, whatever it is and however much they love it.
There are so many things in life that you can't do just one, because you'll miss out on many other (even more important) things.
Of course, if you want to play poker at a pro level, you have to put in the time to succeed, but that's the same for almost everything if you want to be a pro (at anything).

W

walrusjulius

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
My friend didn't work for any official job for last 4 years and he is professional online poker player.
His mid profit is nearly $1200-1500 per month.
But honestly: he is not happy about his life and lost his health due to very passive style of life and constant stresses...

Do you know someone who is professional only poker player and he is happy about it and dont want to change anything?
I think Daniel Negreanu is really happy 😊

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
On-line Poker does nothing for me at the moment, I used to play 3 or 4 times a week On-line and once a week had a live game at my local pub, but since the Covid Pandemic with all the Lockdowns and restrictions it changed my attitude towards Poker. The problem is I set myself a target to double my small bankroll On-line from $200+ to $400 using Bankroll strategy and playing a mix of SnGs with the odd MTT thrown in. But playing between 8 and 12 hours a day just burned me out.
I smashed my target in no time and trebled it, but now the restrictions have been lifted I find I don't want to play any more, even live games at my Local pub have re-started but I just cannot find a reason to go. With the increase on Taxi Fares, and Beer prices at a all time high I can drink all I want at home at half the cost of one night out, and can drink every night if I choose.
I rarely play On-line now usually no more than 1 game a month on pokerstars just to keep my Treasure Chest active, but at that rate I will only open one every year or so, during my big push I was opening 1 or 2 a month.
I know that if I pushed myself I could eventually start to make money playing On-line Poker even make a living from it, but making money has not really appealed to me that much, when I played before the Pandemic, I played for fun and the enjoyment the game gave me, but when you have to play everyday for 12 hours a day it stops being fun and becomes a Job, and I quit work ten years ago and retired so don't want to work again.

When the fun Stops, STOP!
(I did):(:(

lifecoach22

lifecoach22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that yes, if you can make good money at a distance in online poker and this will be enough for you to live and all your needs, then why not

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My friend didn't work for any official job for last 4 years and he is professional online poker player.
His mid profit is nearly $1200-1500 per month.
But honestly: he is not happy about his life and lost his health due to very passive style of life and constant stresses...

Do you know someone who is professional only poker player and he is happy about it and dont want to change anything?
Hi :)
Personally, I don't know any professional players, but I know quite a few players for whom poker is a hobby, and yet their hobby brings them income.