Is it possible to be happy playing poker online without a regular job?

zamana80

zamana80

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My friend didn't work for any official job for last 4 years and he is professional online poker player.
His mid profit is nearly $1200-1500 per month.
But honestly: he is not happy about his life and lost his health due to very passive style of life and constant stresses...

Do you know someone who is professional only poker player and he is happy about it and dont want to change anything?

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is not a steady income. I can imagine the stresses of reaching your monthly or quarterly targets can take its toll. Day after day, hour after hour grinding, dealing with variance, it would probably turn me into a zombie. Moods swings, depression. I knew a few that do it part time, they have other sources of income, and seem happy enough.

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
No poker is fun but not as a career

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
My friend didn't work for any official job for last 4 years and he is professional online poker player.
But honestly: he is not happy about his life and lost his health due to very passive style of life and constant stresses...

Do you know someone who is professional only poker player and he is happy about it and dont want to change anything?
I think you need to work and play poker in your free time and take it as a hobby after you start earning a lot of money on poker, you can consider it as a job, but for a start it’s not worth it

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on how you can handle stress and how you manage your bankroll
I think poker is like being an entrepreneur

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I guess it depends on each individual but in my case poker is really fun as a hobby and not as a job... I also see how many poker pros go kinda 'crazy' after a long time playing the game, so it's definitely not something recommended for people with mental health issues...

siberianspecial

siberianspecial

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's possible, but it requires a lot of training, I don't recommend it, the most enjoyable thing is to play for fun looking for a good reward.

katifanko

katifanko

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't think so. It takes all the fun out of the game where you always have to keep yourself in check. And what happens if you hit a bad streak? If you don't like being a 9-5 employee, start a business and play poker on the side to hedge ;)

maestro121920

maestro121920

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker for me is just a hobby and entertainment, don't know anyone who is a grinder online

B

BrunoFabri01

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love poker, I currently play every day for at least 5 hours, but living off poker I think would be very stressful, due to having to increase the amount of time I play

A

Arnakk2424

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing poker for a living 10 years ago and I was pretty happy.
I don’t think he is unhappy because of poker. Its more the way he spend his life outside of poker.
1500$ is not that much playing poker but it’s depending a lot of where u guys live.
Also if you want to play poker for a living, you should have few months of $$$ you don’t consider has bankroll ( I was not doing it every penny was part of my bankroll) .

Majaloja

Majaloja

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The strategy with which you act can cause you health problems, if you are sedentary. It is advisable to create a habit, exercise and a daily time limit when playing. And don't forget a continuous study, alternating with some variations like omaha.

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips

hey bro, with that amount of earnings nobody could be happy, a pro player must earn at least 5k or 6k per month, I know players who earn 20K per month and only play 6 months a year... the rest of the year they spend traveling.

Rvstam

Rvstam

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
discontent and ingratitude is very funny sounds. maybe he wanted to effortlessly make $100,000 a day? and always win. it's poker, it's like life, there are ups and downs. I can’t give any advice to a person who is not happy with what he has

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
No mater if I play poker or not I can't be happy without regular job. We must have secure income on money. I have child , student, who need some money per month.And other costs must be payed to. Poker is not a steady income for most people.

GDKavindu

GDKavindu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LK
Chips
Don't play poker to make money. It's a fun game. It is true that additional money is received. It is not a fixed income

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont have any friends, who are professional poker players, so the short answer is no. I do think, there are some though. But most of the more successfull ones dont put all their eggs in one basket. They diversify and have income from other but often poker related sources like being a poker ambassador for one of the sites, making content for training sites or coaching students.

Looking ahead the volume in online poker has been steadily declining for 15 years, and the future for high stakes games does not look good, because the games are getting more and more solved. So its definitely not a good idea to expect, that you can make a living from online poker for the rest of your life. There need to be some kind of plan B, and with monthly earnings of just 1.200 to 1.500$, its not going to be to retire early and live from savings.

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that it is possible but you need some training. I play poker because is my hobby, not for earn money. If I win some MTT is really good for me. You must learn how manage your bankroll 🙂

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, I don’t think so. You need a real job. Playing poker for living is only for the few.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think when players rely on poker to pay their bills it becomes a lot less fun for them.

Duxflux

Duxflux

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Many professional poker players either started fairly young or already had financial security to master poker. All other players play on a knife edge and pay with their health. This is how it works in real life. If you risk a lot, you can lose a lot or win a lot. And the body senses the risk and reacts accordingly.

Accordingly, like the previous speakers, I would recommend securing a stable income and letting poker grow on the side until you are financially independent.

Jorgesq7

Jorgesq7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that if you don't like poker, you should look for a job where you can generate income.
Poker can give you many benefits however you have to spend many hours of your life until it is profitable to bet.
I like poker but I set aside time to rest or do some other activities, it is not so important how to lose health.

M

miriancastro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know any professional poker players, but playing every day is pretty tiring and stressful.

Only_player

Only_player

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I dont have any friends who work in poker
But all work can destroy ur health or if u have billion dollars u havnt guarantee became happy or have a good health
Happy and health its not only about ur work or money its something MORE. And what is "MORE" u must ask and answer for urself.
What u need, what u want and if u get it how will it change your life? Philosophy say that the purpose of life dont make u happy but way to ur purpose CAN.
So choose ur WAY in life and feel the pleasure. Dont think about negative, bcs it crash ur nerves and all sick burn after negative minds.