Is it possible to be happy playing poker online without a regular job?

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My friend didn't work for any official job for last 4 years and he is professional online poker player.
His mid profit is nearly $1200-1500 per month.
But honestly: he is not happy about his life and lost his health due to very passive style of life and constant stresses...

Do you know someone who is professional only poker player and he is happy about it and dont want to change anything?
It is possible to be happy anyway. There's a saying from the wise people that I like a lot, it's better to be poor and even go hungry, than to be rich and suffer from mistrust, sadness and not being able to control your desires.
I'm just happy with poker, but first God brings true happiness.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think when players rely on poker to pay their bills it becomes a lot less fun for them.
That's what you're saying.. but do you trust poker to pay your bills?:)

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You are happy as long as you do what you truly love doing. Poker is not for everyone just like 9-5 jobs are also not for everyone or just like sports are not for everyone. I simply do not care about stability and jobs. I'd rather get rich or die trying, but many feel safe and comfortable with mediocrity. That is just a fact. For happiness, you need more than money or stability or never having time for anything. There are no rules for everyone and each should go their own way, risk or no risk, money or no money, job or no job or whatever. It's best to find your own path that makes you content with your own life.

I want kids but I don't want kids while never being there for them when they need me, and never having the money to provide them with a decent life, so I'm working towards achieving my goals and I want to bring another life to this planet that will have what many don't. I may never reach it and I may never have a kid if I don't meet my first condition which is to have the money and time to provide a nice life to my kid. These are my rules and I'm actively trying to achieve my goals. If I never do, so be it, I'll die happy because I have at least tried.

Poker is risky and potentially rewarding. A business is risky and potentially rewarding, Anything that is risky is potentially rewarding. A job is the opposite of rewarding and it somewhat helps with survival, but not entirely. I trust everything that is risky and rewarding to pay for my survival and more.

Last edited:
heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Yes, at least for awhile, but at its core, poker is a selfish game. You take other people money for yourself, often from people who already has a financial problems, witouht giving anything back. No one get their food suplies because of you playing; no one gets new car, or house, or their application filled in some office; - and that what we seek to do,be useful for others. Our basic need i would say.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are happy as long as you do what you truly love doing. Poker is not for everyone just like 9-5 jobs are also not for everyone or just like sports are not for everyone. I simply do not care about stability and jobs. I'd rather get rich or die trying, but many feel safe and comfortable with mediocrity. That is just a fact. For happiness, you need more than money or stability or never having time for anything. There are no rules for everyone and each should go their own way, risk or no risk, money or no money, job or no job or whatever. It's best to find your own path that makes you content with your own life.

I want kids but I don't want kids while never being there for them when they need me, and never having the money to provide them with a decent life, so I'm working towards achieving my goals and I want to bring another life to this planet that will have what many don't. I may never reach it and I may never have a kid if I don't meet my first condition which is to have the money and time to provide a nice life to my kid. These are my rules and I'm actively trying to achieve my goals. If I never do, so be it, I'll die happy because I have at least tried.

Poker is risky and potentially rewarding. A business is risky and potentially rewarding, Anything that is risky is potentially rewarding. A job is the opposite of rewarding and it somewhat helps with survival, but not entirely. I trust everything that is risky and rewarding to pay for my survival and more.
I wish you the best of luck on your way. Perseverance!

K

KING1805

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
If you are a professional poker player and only earn money by playing online, I feel like it is important to try to look for social events and hang out with your friends. If you don't, and stay home all day you are going to get super lonely and not happy.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know any professional poker player, but I imagine that unless you already had won one or a couple of big tournaments, it can't be an easy life. The pressure to be profitable player every month and not having any other source of income must be very stressful. Also I would not like to spend 7-8 hours (or more) playing online poker everyday.

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My friend didn't work for any official job for last 4 years and he is professional online poker player.
But honestly: he is not happy about his life and lost his health due to very passive style of life and constant stresses...

Do you know someone who is professional only poker player and he is happy about it and dont want to change anything?
yeah I rather play poker than work. you can make a living and be happy

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm retired, my life is summed up, in travel, house in the capital and house on the beach, in addition to outings and once a week at a poker house, I live well, I don't survive from Poker, but I have fun, it's a good distraction.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips

Hi:)
I don't think it's a good idea to adopt poker as a job, because sometimes poker closes the door to profit, even for professionals as well.

jaime

jaime

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think so, but it's good to have some financial security

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sitting for long periods is very bad for your health and since you only get one body it is not what you should be doing every day. The poker rooms are terrible in that they promote long long hours of playing with things like freeroll satellites that take hours with only a handful of seats to be won and leaderboards that in order to win anything you have to play night and day.
For a living it is beat to work at a job outside that involves physical exercise because you only get one body and one life to live.

Duxflux

Duxflux

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont have any friends who work in poker
But all work can destroy ur health or if u have billion dollars u havnt guarantee became happy or have a good health
Happy and health its not only about ur work or money its something MORE. And what is "MORE" u must ask and answer for urself.
What u need, what u want and if u get it how will it change your life? Philosophy say that the purpose of life dont make u happy but way to ur purpose CAN.
So choose ur WAY in life and feel the pleasure. Dont think about negative, bcs it crash ur nerves and all sick burn after negative minds.

Absolutely agree. If you have fun with it and enjoy every day and every moment you will not worry about such questions.
Only loneliness could then become your biggest enemy.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
The best is to have a regular job and to play poker from time to time.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.No,I don´t mate.To be honest, I couldn´t deal with all the stress that implies trying to become a poker pro.I´m aware that is just a dream that will never come true.I just try to enjoy this game the most I can and if I can earn some extra money with poker,it will be fine.I really like this game but real life is different from dreams.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think I could be very happy making my living off of poker if I could but to do that would be a choice. While many of us dream of winning enough to live the high life most wont. To make a living off of poker and not working required one big thing. Poker becomes your job. Its not just winning easy money but takes work and commitment to play well enough to make a living but also the time you put into it as well. I may have this saying wrong and dont recall who said it so if wrong please forgive me. Poker is a hard way to make an easy living.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't think it's safe to have poker as a primary source of income. The ideal is to be fun that gives you a financial return. Now if you hit a big jackpot that gives you 3 years security. It might be interesting to try. Another interesting option is to play when you retire. It won't be your only source of income, but it will be your only job.

Dasha_21

Dasha_21

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think poker is more of a part-time job than the main type of earnings

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Sitting for long periods is very bad for your health and since you only get one body it is not what you should be doing every day. The poker rooms are terrible in that they promote long long hours of playing with things like freeroll satellites that take hours with only a handful of seats to be won and leaderboards that in order to win anything you have to play night and day.
For a living it is beat to work at a job outside that involves physical exercise because you only get one body and one life to live.
Agreed

R

rgk684

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
У меня есть друг, учитель, учитель истории. Он ушел из школы, чтобы играть в покер онлайн. вымотался за 2 года и вернулся в школу, чтобы преподавать. устал катать каждую ночь. Но играл в плюс. Это хорошие деньги для нашей страны

A

amitmanchanda

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you love poker like PH or DN does then yes but most of us who are not pro thinks they love poker. I recently played for 12 hours straight with few breaks and I felt I need to stop playing for sometime. Someone who loves poker won’t feel that way after 1 session of 12 hours.

BOXING71

BOXING71

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have two friends who are professional poker players. They earn good money, enough to live on and travel. Currently, there is a war going on in our country, which has changed our way of life. However, most of my acquaintances who play poker use their profits to help the army and volunteers on the front lines. Satisfaction in life does not depend on the amount of money; it is a deeper question, and you need to understand what you enjoy and what you strive for...well, that's another topic. Once you win good money playing poker, please write again in this thread. Good luck to everyone.

pansipos

pansipos

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips

I have a few friends who make a living from it. I don't know if he's happy, but if he wasn't, he wouldn't do it.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

A Friend of mine hit a big win in a Tournament and bought his first property, being on the road so much he didn't use it that much and decided to live with his parents when he comes home and rent out his own place, he now owns 17 properties and lets them all out, other properties he has bought that needed to be renovated and worked on them himself and sold at a profit, especially during the Covid Pandemic
He does admit that the rental business provides him with a decent living and overall makes more money from them, than playing Poker, but He loves Poker and the rental business lets him do that.
As for repairs etc, he lets them through an Agent who takes care of everything from repairs to evictions if there comes a time for that.

AdiS18

AdiS18

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I also try to be able to combine my work with the game. It doesn't always work out but.....I keep going forward!