How toxic is online poker really?

MrrrRock

MrrrRock

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I notice the people at the table have gotten grumpier lately, you can even see it with the way things (throwables)are flying around . Maybe that's one of the reasons party poker removed the chat option. The good old: "good game" is close to non-existent anymore. Your opinions on the subject?

joan moreno

joan moreno

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's really something you see every day but personally it doesn't bother me because I ignore those things.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
*Shrugs*
I'm here to make a bit of side money for enjoy myself honestly don't pay attention or let it affect me. Fact is I search out and look for tables where everyone is involved in drama, worthless chat and insults. When they're focused on that garbage they're not focused on poker and playing the hand to the best of their ability.

I love players on tilt. Easy as taking candy from babies.

Cheers!!!

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
your odds still the same, don't fool yourself
Yep the card odds are.

The odds villain is playing good, without emotion and gonna win money are not. 20+ year proven fact. If you think they are idk what to tell other the fact is you're the one being fooled and don't know what tilt is or understand it.

Cheers!!!

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
the chat (where it is allowed) is often unpleasant , the HUDs (where allowed) are too useful, the rake is very high and site rewards minimal. available real time assistance is completely unsportsmanlike , and collusion everywhere is likely as well . the online game now is justly called 'poker on steroids', a totally unfair set-up . we should all stay away , and yet we keep logging in !

slysilvosilvo

slysilvosilvo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
oh, i thought all those things thrown has some meanings
horshoe - means "good luck"
firework means "congratulatins!"
snowball - "calm down!"

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Yep the card odds are.

The odds villain is playing good, without emotion and gonna win money are not. 20+ year proven fact. If you think they are idk what to tell other the fact is you're the one being fooled and don't know what tilt is or understand it.

Cheers!!!
I agree with you. In a time when almost everybody knows how to play at least NLH half-decent, the mental game becomes more important and makes more of a difference than before when people made horrendous mistakes all the time just by not knowing the basics.

Flower2211

Flower2211

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can only speak about pokerstars from my experience. The players there are quite restrained, I haven’t seen anyone write anything in the chat for a very long time, and throwing things happens, but rarely, mostly when someone is stalling for time, they can throw them at him.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I notice the people at the table have gotten grumpier lately, you can even see it with the way things (throwables)are flying around . Maybe that's one of the reasons party poker removed the chat option. The good old: "good game" is close to non-existent anymore. Your opinions on the subject?

Personally I think removing chat features, is a good thing, There are too many Idiot Poker Players who start spouting off like a spoiled child, when they lose and feel perfectly safe in their armchairs calling abuse out to everyone, because they spit their Dummy out.
If you get two of them at a table, they are name calling back and forth like 2 angry dogs separated by a fence, only to shut up when there is a gap in the fence. As for the Throwables they are so childish I stopped trying to win them by playing games I really wasn't interested in.
There is no excuse for bad language, at a Poker table, If you lose except it with grace and move on, because nothing you can say or do is going to change the fact You Lost!

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, I really don't care about these things, I just don't pay attention and I stay focused on my game

Saul2025

Saul2025

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Life is hard. Emotions are not reality.

I don't care about so called "hurt feelings".

MrrrRock

MrrrRock

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the chat (where it is allowed) is often unpleasant , the HUDs (where allowed) are too useful, the rake is very high and site rewards minimal. available real time assistance is completely unsportsmanlike , and collusion everywhere is likely as well . the online game now is justly called 'poker on steroids', a totally unfair set-up . we should all stay away , and yet we keep logging in !
very well said. the things you listed have a huge contribution to the state in which the modern poker player is. unfortunately, of course...

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yep the card odds are.

you against a villain in tilt, your odds is the same, you can't read minds
you can't comprehend a text and play for 20 years and don't learned

Last edited:
D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chat means nothing for my game but was nice to say high and good luck to your fellow players making bad words on chat out of hand.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Honestly, I think it is a general problem in society, that people become more and more anonymous, more rude, and with less manners.
And the same development you also can observe online at the poker tables, unfortunately.
Around 15 -17 years ago I played a lot at the former room PKR and there was always a nice and friendly community with friendly chat
at the poker tables. Similar to the FRC games in the past, but even there it became less in the last few years I think.
And this is the reason why I love to participate in the League of CC so much because there you still can have this friendly chat among the community members. :)

N

Niykk

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've switched off throwables and chat and it definitely helped my online game.
For the last year I've been playing only tournaments and I enjoy live action more... the energy is different and I have better results playing live than online, may be because I'm much more patient and in the moment playing live than when I play online tournaments.

Last edited:
MrrrRock

MrrrRock

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, I think it is a general problem in society, that people become more and more anonymous, more rude, and with less manners.
And the same development you also can observe online at the poker tables, unfortunately.
Around 15 -17 years ago I played a lot at the former room PKR and there was always a nice and friendly community with friendly chat
at the poker tables. Similar to the FRC games in the past, but even there it became less in the last few years I think.
And this is the reason why I love to participate in the League of CC so much because there you still can have this friendly chat among the community members. :)
of course it is:)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
. Easy as taking candy from babies.
I agree with what you were suggesting... BUT, idk what babies you've had experience with. Personally I have found when you attempt to take ANY of their candy, they will whail!!! It is not an 'easy' situation at all. Very stressful.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
online poker has changed A LOT!

I recally back when playing on Fulltilt, it was a 100% given that if you were playing a tournament, you'd be likely engaged in chat with almost every person on every table. (50% anyways).
I met some of the pros on there and actually ended up hooking up with them in person (as a direct result of chat box during a tournament).
Today if you chat on a table, you'll be the only one.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
you against a villain in tilt, your odds is the same, you can't read minds
you can't comprehend a text and play for 20 years and don't learned

Well my bank account and myself will disagree. Thanks for your wrong opinion.

Cheers!!!

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never look at the chat personally as it is rarely anything positive.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I agree with what you were suggesting... BUT, idk what babies you've had experience with. Personally I have found when you attempt to take ANY of their candy, they will whail!!! It is not an 'easy' situation at all. Very stressful.

Haha.

This is where you have to be mentally tough, just let them keep whining in chat and keep taking their money till they're broke and can't reload anymore. You can tell they're just about to the end when they start raising pre-flop and shoving it all-in on the flop no matter what comes into an almost nothing pot lol.

Cheers!!!

Last edited:
LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's just a sign of the times. The newest generation wants instant gratification and has less patience. They were never disciplined at home or in school. They eat all meals in front of the computer by themselves, so they never learn manners. Their noses are so buried in their phones that they don't notice others around them and never make polite contact like smile or a nod. Of course they have less options as us old baby boomers have used up the best. Next time you play online, try saying hello or good luck.