How do I turn online poker into a career?

C

callmebuddha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
A good first step would be to look at your hand history and post the last hand of a bunch of your MTTs (the hand that knocks you out) into our Tournament Hand Analysis forum: Tournament Hand Analysis

By doing this, you will start to get a better idea of when you make a mistake vs just losing the game to chance. Really dig deep in this practice and your game will vastly improve. ;)
Ok, that's nice. Thank you

C

callmebuddha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I think the biggest thing is just to keep playing and putting in the volume, learning just how many games you can play in a day while still playing your best possible poker.

But about making poker a career, in my opinion you need to learn enough about the game to know what you are talking about, get a few good wins in and then start looking for other people to stake your play, then consider trying to create your own content and work up to relying on others to bankroll you on a regular basis for bigger games - both online and live.
bro, all that is mtt winnings since september. Putting 10-20$ BR. Completely not-strategy, but a wanted to put in pratice what i've beem learning from the freestuff. Do u really think that for me make 200$ a mounth, with that initial results, is just analyse my own games ? ok . how to do the analyse? just see the action with EV+ and adjust ? Another question, I can make that 200$ more easily on cash game NL10?
CccccccccccccccccccccccDdddddddddddddddddddd

C

callmebuddha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Keep it simple. Forget your charts. Just track your tournament progress

Start off at the beginning of January. Pick the same tournaments every week and by end of the month review it.
How to know if I need continue with my game theory ( exp on tabbles + math theory) or need to change?
CccccccccccccccccccccccDdddddddddddddddddddd

C

callmebuddha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
guys, continue with mtt and review my own game because I'm on a good way( graph green) or jump to Nl10? cash game saved my bankroll sometimes. What u all think about this guide ? thank youFffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

paddyswarrior

paddyswarrior

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
I suggest you invest in your knowledge before on the tables... practice and practice as many times as necessary until you reach a good level that makes you feel safe to play tables with a medium or high buy-in.

For example, you invested a ticket between USD30-USD50, you could win prizes between USD120 to USD200 as minimun... keep in mind there are fewer players in that tournaments and if you have a good level there is a higher probability of winning prizes.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Poker is one of life's mysteries
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
In general, any profession must be mastered in order to pour its profit on us, as well as the game of poker, my friend.
You can play poker and profit from it only if you master it very well.
Good luck

P

puzzlefish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
bro, all that is mtt winnings since september. Putting 10-20$ BR. Completely not-strategy, but a wanted to put in pratice what i've beem learning from the freestuff. Do u really think that for me make 200$ a mounth, with that initial results, is just analyse my own games ? ok . how to do the analyse? just see the action with EV+ and adjust ? Another question, I can make that 200$ more easily on cash game NL10?
View attachment 319317View attachment 319318
So that looks like 450 games about 3 months? About 5 games per day? Based on that graph, which is not showing how you will do long term, you won't be able to make $200 per month. In fact you may be barely a break even or a slightly losing player. It is too small of a sample to be sure, but it is quite possible as you play over the next few years.

How well do you do at 2NL and 5NL? Have you done well at those limits? While you have the potential of making more money quicker at higher limits, you can also lose more money quicker. There's no easy answer here without seeing some long term results. Play 50000 cash hands and see how you do.

Your volumes are way too small to say anything for sure, but you are probably not at the level where you can make $200 per month. To get there, spend more time playing poker, watch poker videos of people who do make that amount or more, and see how you do on your own before deciding to get coaches and courses. Just my humble opinion.

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have like 300 reais or more to invest, and all day to study. My strategy was study freestuff, put 10 bucks on 888, and let's go. I had 10 bullets, and one of them I make 74$, and paid some bills. I made another 10$ deposit, and won 34, 1 week after. Next mounth,10 bucks = 74$ I made it again. And november, i beat the carmanhani freeroll,another 74$. The problem is that I dont make it consistently, and that's because Im bad. I think that the freestuff is good, but is something miss. What did u say about that :

"Okay buddy, here's the straight dope from a straight crusher. Play cash games. You need around $1000 to be rolled for $1 tournaments, whereas you should be able to play 25nl with the same roll. You can achieve your target profit at 10nl or 25nl cash games with substantially less risk than playing tournaments.

Step 1, learn pre-flop. GTOWizard ranges should work fine, you can use it for free daily to practice. Notice how the EVs of 3-bet/call can be similar when facing aggressive opponents. Think about how this changes when your opponents are less aggressive (which is probably/hopefully true in your pool).

Step 2, learn how EV math works, and play BU vs BB, BB vs BTN CO vs BTN BTN vs CO UTG vs BB BB vs UTG in wizard. Do srp then 3bp. Check out their youtube. Get pokertracker4.

Step 3, use EV math to exploit fish ranges using equilab from pokerstrategy.com. This is where most of your winrate is going to come from. Often times the key question you'll ask yourself is "Is his betting range wider than his calling range?" You can be very creative in how you play vs fish.

If you get a sample of say 100k hands hit me back. Good luck!

Edit: Eventually you'll want to buy a month or two of GTO wizard and go hard studying. It'll pay off."
Weeee, way to go!!! won the Carma tourney? Congratulations bro. Seems you're no bad at all!
I know what You mean, so many questions going through Your mind. You need just take Your time, training fine, take it all the most the better. You need feel the table though, put it all in practice.
For consistency just rinse and repeat.
one question though: are You a cash player or a tournament player? You know the rule, don't mix it up.
1$ buy-in tournament is too much mixed-up, a little higher I guess is more stable, 3$-7$. and the number is 50x buy-in.
Keep up the good job/study/improvement!!!

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Do u think that's good at least pay someone to analize my games? I think that if I'm learning and gettin exp, I'm not alowed to analyze my own game. I dont have the knowlegde to do this. Make sense ? thank you
If you are trying to make money from poker I would try not to pay money out, at least not initially. There is help on the forum, and loads of free content. Also you need to develop your own critical thinking when reviewing your hands, ranging villains and considering which lines would have worked best ( not just v the villains hand but v his range). You do need a certain amount of natural feel for the game/critical thinking to do well in poker.

Also remember it will take time to get up to $200 a month, just try to win and keep track of your winnings and if you play well and improve you should increase your profit each month

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
The secret to success is simple - you need to spend a lot of time training. So many people today dream of stopping going to the office 5 days a week and doing something more interesting. You should not have any illusions - if you dive into the poker world, you have no systemic allies here.Poker life must be planned step by step. Do not think that you have found such a cool thing for yourself, acquired a skill and now you will earn it in the same way as a doctor earns when working in a clinic - this is not so, you have not acquired anything, your skill is temporary and has no foundation - you are just temporarily better than your competitors in place. But you will be bypassed and you will end up in the trash if you are not ready for it, so you should plan your exit strategy before you enter.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You need to move up the stakes.

Below 50NL I cannot think tht you can make so much money that you can live solely from poker. But winning 50NL is very good, you will make some money.

Mahmudov041

Mahmudov041

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello.i think.to make a career in poker you need to have a good bankroll.and you must have some luck and good game

Duxflux

Duxflux

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of this has already been said. What I can add, however, is patience and constant work on one's own mistakes. Once you have a good run, you quickly forget your own mistakes.

X

Xcalibur

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
strength and patience to you. The main thing is discipline and study

D

discintildeath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand you, but poker will never be an exact science.
When I joined almost 5 years ago I also thought it was going to quickly change my life, but poker changed my mind.
what are you wanting, thousands are too, poker does not favor anyone, not the best, not the richest, not even the one who took 30 expensive courses.
poker privileges those who persevere, those who learn their nuances and those who have more control to withstand the tragedies of this card game (which are daily).
poker is a wild horse and will only let whoever wants to ride it.

Poker is 3 or 4 different science subjects. The more you master all of them and combine them the more likely you can be a professional. My main bit of advice would be if you treat it like you're an amateur then you will get amateur results. Study hard and play a lot of hands. You need at least 2 million hands to start to actually understand different spots. You will experience so much more that you can use if you pay attention and study after you play. Look after your hands how you played and plug leaks.

Dasha_21

Dasha_21

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You need to have a lot of perseverance and a lot of patience) Nothing is that simple

K

korkust

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Quite difficult, but everything is real. First of all, it takes time, and playing in live tournaments is also very important, without such experience it is very difficult to play even online.