How do I turn online poker into a career?

C

callmebuddha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I seriously want a carreer on poker, and i'm really exited because with 1 year of effo, on free stuff yt, I got some good place's on mtt mode,playing on 888poker, 1$ buy-in. In my country, the minimum wage is 189$. At least, i want make it or, of course, even more,every month. What i need to do to be my own boss ? review more the free stuff ? (jonathan little,felipe carmanhani), or a need make some invest in courses? (raise your edge,pokercoaching), or just pay some good player with good graph, to tell me what im doing wrong ?(I promisse to myself get better and do not have anymore a C game graph. Its tough sometimes, but I'm gettin better.) This wins are since september.SharkScopeChart

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
relax buddy, if it's above zero, it's going in a good way.
patience.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
but i want that 198 $ at least. Im not doing that amount. Just have these good wins
I understand you, but poker will never be an exact science.
When I joined almost 5 years ago I also thought it was going to quickly change my life, but poker changed my mind.
what are you wanting, thousands are too, poker does not favor anyone, not the best, not the richest, not even the one who took 30 expensive courses.
poker privileges those who persevere, those who learn their nuances and those who have more control to withstand the tragedies of this card game (which are daily).
poker is a wild horse and will only let whoever wants to ride it.

PokerEdge

PokerEdge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
Patience, practice, it's a long way, a process.....
In the past, you could learn mainly from books (of course, they are still useful now), nowadays it is better to watch as many game analysis videos and streams as possible. They don't reveal all the secrets here, but you get a very good overview of the strategies.
Starting hand charts are very important. If you have a good preflop game, it's half a win. After that comes the deepening of the more complicated postflop game.

YevheniiKobliuk

YevheniiKobliuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I understand you, but poker will never be an exact science.
When I joined almost 5 years ago I also thought it was going to quickly change my life, but poker changed my mind.
what are you wanting, thousands are too, poker does not favor anyone, not the best, not the richest, not even the one who took 30 expensive courses.
poker privileges those who persevere, those who learn their nuances and those who have more control to withstand the tragedies of this card game (which are daily).
poker is a wild horse and will only let whoever wants to ride it.
Well said.
Yes, patience is the main thing in poker, but sometimes it infuriates when you have to press fold for a long time, and sometimes people can’t stand it and start playing a mediocre hand, thereby making mistakes.
Many novice players need activity, they do not enter the game constantly to reset ..)

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm also from brazil. :)
Do you have other job or do you only play poker?
I think it depends of how much money do you have to invest in poker. If you don't have much money, I would keep studying poker using the free resources, because I think it's possible to beat $1 buy in mtts with basic/intermediary knowledge plus discipline to follow a bankroll management.

C

callmebuddha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I'm also from Brazil. :)
Do you have other job or do you only play poker?
I think it depends of how much money do you have to invest in poker. If you don't have much money, I would keep studying poker using the free resources, because I think it's possible to beat $1 buy in mtts with basic/intermediary knowledge plus discipline to follow a bankroll management.
I have like 300 reais or more to invest, and all day to study. My strategy was study freestuff, put 10 bucks on 888, and let's go. I had 10 bullets, and one of them I make 74$, and paid some bills. I made another 10$ deposit, and won 34, 1 week after. Next mounth,10 bucks = 74$ I made it again. And november, i beat the carmanhani freeroll,another 74$. The problem is that I dont make it consistently, and that's because Im bad. I think that the freestuff is good, but is something miss. What did u say about that :

"Okay buddy, here's the straight dope from a straight crusher. Play cash games. You need around $1000 to be rolled for $1 tournaments, whereas you should be able to play 25nl with the same roll. You can achieve your target profit at 10nl or 25nl cash games with substantially less risk than playing tournaments.

Step 1, learn pre-flop. GTOWizard ranges should work fine, you can use it for free daily to practice. Notice how the EVs of 3-bet/call can be similar when facing aggressive opponents. Think about how this changes when your opponents are less aggressive (which is probably/hopefully true in your pool).

Step 2, learn how EV math works, and play BU vs BB, BB vs BTN CO vs BTN BTN vs CO UTG vs BB BB vs UTG in wizard. Do srp then 3bp. Check out their youtube. Get pokertracker4.

Step 3, use EV math to exploit fish ranges using equilab from pokerstrategy.com. This is where most of your winrate is going to come from. Often times the key question you'll ask yourself is "Is his betting range wider than his calling range?" You can be very creative in how you play vs fish.

If you get a sample of say 100k hands hit me back. Good luck!

Edit: Eventually you'll want to buy a month or two of GTO wizard and go hard studying. It'll pay off."

Last edited by a moderator:
Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Start playing? That way you should learn 1000 times more than via some study, course or whatever.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Studying is only part of the process. In order to win an amount like $200 per month (as an average) you also need to play more expensive games than $1 tournaments, and for that you need a bankroll. So dont set specific earning targets in the beginning, dont withdraw winnings, and dont quit your job. Play poker during your time off, use solid bankroll management like never investing more than 1% in an MTT or 2% in a STT, and let it take the time, it takes.

Ketienne

Ketienne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stay patient and disciplined. Also the will to always improve the poker theory should be there. The other things come with experience, but always play within your limits and possibilities.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learning, patience, and lots of play (at stakes that don't hurt from a potential loss) are the key, with slow deliberate level steps.

C

callmebuddha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Studying is only part of the process. In order to win an amount like $200 per month (as an average) you also need to play more expensive games than $1 tournaments, and for that you need a bankroll. So dont set specific earning targets in the beginning, dont withdraw winnings, and dont quit your job. Play poker during your time off, use solid bankroll management like never investing more than 1% in an MTT or 2% in a STT, and let it take the time, it takes.
how much bankroll do u think is adequate and what i need to study? or just pratice on the field and study my own games?

C

callmebuddha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Stay patient and disciplined. Also the will to always improve the poker theory should be there. The other things come with experience, but always play within your limits and possibilities
6 month's ?1 year ? I alredy study free stuff realy focused 6 mounth straight. with 1 year before of 70%recreational 30% study

C

callmebuddha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
you will have to be patient and work :)
this guy has playing with me or sounds resonable ? what is your strategy if u being in that situation? how much bankroll and what's the game ?
"Okay buddy, here's the straight dope from a straight crusher. Play cash games. You need around $1000 to be rolled for $1 tournaments, whereas you should be able to play 25nl with the same roll. You can achieve your target profit at 10nl or 25nl cash games with substantially less risk than playing tournaments.

Step 1, learn pre-flop. GTOWizard ranges should work fine, you can use it for free daily to practice. Notice how the EVs of 3-bet/call can be similar when facing aggressive opponents. Think about how this changes when your opponents are less aggressive (which is probably/hopefully true in your pool).

Step 2, learn how EV math works, and play BU vs BB, BB vs BTN CO vs BTN BTN vs CO UTG vs BB BB vs UTG in wizard. Do srp then 3bp. Check out their youtube. Get pokertracker4.

Step 3, use EV math to exploit fish ranges using equilab from pokerstrategy.com. This is where most of your winrate is going to come from. Often times the key question you'll ask yourself is "Is his betting range wider than his calling range?" You can be very creative in how you play vs fish.

If you get a sample of say 100k hands hit me back. Good luck!

Edit: Eventually you'll want to buy a month or two of GTO wizard and go hard studying. It'll pay off."

C

callmebuddha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
you will have to be patient and work :)
6 month's ?1 year ? I alredy study free stuff realy focused 6 mounth straight. with 1 year before of 70%recreational 30% study.
what is your strategy if u being in that situation? how much bankroll and what's the game ?

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you want to start taking this sport seriously as poker is, you want to take it as a career, what you have to do is start playing at low levels and learn every day, to beat the micro-limits, then start another story when you enter at higher levels, always with perseverance and discipline studies can achieve the objectives.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
if a I play incorrectly, a loose money. In the currently moment, im beginner.
If you are really that afraid of losing money then you should stay miles away from gambling (incl poker) ...
Btw pretty much all poker sites offer some kind of stuff to newcomers so technically at start you literally dont risk too much :unsure:

Also most poker sites still offer freerolls so in them you can probably try all kind of gamestyles etc while not losing anything (apart from time spent?) ...

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
study and put into practice what you learned. and respect the whole process and also bankroll management.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
if you have problems with a limit above $1 then you should already study above the limits, hire a coach who plays higher than you and he will teach you how to climb the limits and generally improve your game up so if you are already winning small tournaments it's time to move to higher limits and learn from coaches who will teach you and give you a lot of knowledge