Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey all!

So, in my last two online sessions, I've been happy with my play over all (I'm still learning of course). However, in two specific hands, I've made bad calls with the worst of it...these aren't calls that were marginal or can be justified. Without going into specifics, upon the hand review, I knew I should not have called or re-shoved. I don't know what I was thinking.

On both those hands, I sucked out....one was just a river card, the other was both the turn and the river to give me winning hands. I actually felt really bad about it because I know I shouldn't have made those calls. My opponents, both times, had me crushed.

My question, then, is in the title. Do any of you feel bad about sucking out?

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The important thing is that you review your game and realize where to improve, that will take you far and your game will become very solid, I think the feelings for bad decisions will always be there, it is best to deal with it

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
I feel bad NOT sucking out. Gets me tilted:giggle:

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The important thing is that you review your game and realize where to improve, that will take you far and your game will become very solid, I think the feelings for bad decisions will always be there, it is best to deal with it
Interesting. I know that if I'm the one sucking out too much, I'm doing something wrong. But perhaps the nature of the game is that we all suck out once in awhile?

Thanks for your input!

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
EDIT/UPDATE: Today, I was playing a sit and go. Villain raised in the cutoff a standard amount, I was holding QQ in the BB, so I re-raised him, he shoves (I had him covered by almost twice my stack) and I call. Heads up....he held AK off suit. Flop has an ace, but I rivered a Q, sucking out on him. In situations like that, I don't feel bad about sucking out. Because I *technically* had the best hand pre-flop, it is a sit and go, so accumulating chips is crucial, they move fast, so making "hero lay downs," to me, is not necessary unless I am well ahead of the blinds.

Worked out for me, I guess.

Side note: is there a way to edit your posts on the forums? I'd like to do that instead of adding a new entry.

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The most important thing I've learned in poker is to lose... without getting hysterical. To part with what could not or did not want to become mine. Good, by the way, life skill ..))

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No reason to feel bad. Its part of the game. The important is to realise, you did not play well, and then take a different line in future hands :)

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nope . it is part of the game and it happens to me too often . so i actually want to also suck out too lol

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I do not feel bad about sucking out, it is quite the opposite. I really about winning the hand. But like you said, I am rather angry or dissappointed about myself that I made a bad call. However, there are of course certain situations, where you made a right decision, but your opponent sucked you out first but then you redraw and get the better hand through. In this case you put a bad beat on your opponent but you had the better hand in the beginning, so there is no need to feel bad. :)

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
EDIT/UPDATE: Today, I was playing a sit and go. Villain raised in the cutoff a standard amount, I was holding QQ in the BB, so I re-raised him, he shoves (I had him covered by almost twice my stack) and I call. Heads up....he held AK off suit. Flop has an ace, but I rivered a Q, sucking out on him. In situations like that, I don't feel bad about sucking out. Because I *technically* had the best hand pre-flop, it is a sit and go, so accumulating chips is crucial, they move fast, so making "hero lay downs," to me, is not necessary unless I am well ahead of the blinds.

Side note: is there a way to edit your posts on the forums? I'd like to do that instead of adding a new entry.

Situations like these are almost coin flips anyway, so I wouldn't call them sucking out. There are lots of combinations of QQ vs AK where one or the other hand wins and it doesn't really matter what cards come when if all in preflop.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
we must always study and review our hands after each session, we can also go correcting mistakes to never make them and thus go learning every day and go far in this sport.

pocketace222

pocketace222

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey all!

So, in my last two online sessions, I've been happy with my play over all (I'm still learning of course). However, in two specific hands, I've made bad calls with the worst of it...these aren't calls that were marginal or can be justified. Without going into specifics, upon the hand review, I knew I should not have called or re-shoved. I don't know what I was thinking.

On both those hands, I sucked out....one was just a river card, the other was both the turn and the river to give me winning hands. I actually felt really bad about it because I know I shouldn't have made those calls. My opponents, both times, had me crushed.

Hahaha it sucks it happens that's poker live by that. Don't get well ok get mad get frustrated but don't let it make you play differently. Don't get aggressive and seek retribution against said player.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never feel bad, it will happen to you too. But it will not happen every time, what's more important is that you are recognizing you are making these mistakes.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey all!

I don't ever feel bad about winning. I get sucked out on enough that it SHOULD happen for me too, and occasionally it does, usually it is more of a cooler situation (AA v KK or something similar) or a set orTPTK v a flush or straight (or combo) draw -- I have been on both sides of those. It's going to happen (especially in tournaments where variance is crazy -- especially online). Be a "pro" and just take the results no matter which way they go.

85champ07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
When I suck out I have some monster hand, when my opponent sucks out its with a 7-2o, so no I don't generally feel bad. I just feel bad when my opponent sucks out with junk, which happens all the time. Sucking out with good cards is not a bad play. If you have TJo and opponent has AA and your all-in, you have probably made a bad call, but variance and luck is not in anyones control and sometimes you can catch with a short stack. Same goes for the opponent.

treblek1

treblek1

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sucking out with good cards is not a bad,but if there is a situation where the opponent wins with bad hands, for example 3/6 or 4/8, then it makes you angry, especially if the tournament is deep.

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
People talk about "bad beats" and "sucking out" because of the odds being strongly in favor one way. For example, a common one we see is the "2 outer on the river". So that's 5%, right? 1 in 20, right? Statistically it is just as "lucky" to have 20 people have 2-outers on you and not have one of them hit. After all, one of those 20 should have hit, right?

But we don't notice that or call it "good/bad luck" because it is spread out over time. We don't finish a tournament and say, "wow, I got so lucky today. I had 26 people that had 2-outers on me and none of them hit!" Why not? Because we feel we were "supposed to win" those. All of them.

It happens. We've all been on both sides.

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yes no ,I hate it when its done to me, luv it when I doit, my bad

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Making mistakes in Poker most of the time is fatal, what we should do is, know how to live with mistakes and successes, congratulations for recognizing mistakes.

smuckenfart

smuckenfart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips

Since you had all the money in pre-flop I wouldn't consider this a suck-out since it's a coin flip from the get-go. Had you put all the money in post-flop after the A hit the board, where you had 8% equity vs his 20% equity (discounting straight or flush draws) then, to me, it would definitely be a suck-out.

There's nothing to feel bad about, because when push comes to shove, it's just a mathematical probability.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since you had all the money in pre-flop I wouldn't consider this a suck-out since it's a coin flip from the get-go. Had you put all the money in post-flop after the A hit the board, where you had 8% equity vs his 20% equity (discounting straight or flush draws) then, to me, it would definitely be a suck-out.

There's nothing to feel bad about, because when push comes to shove, it's just a mathematical probability.

Ah, good point! I didn't even think of that haha.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But we don't notice that or call it "good/bad luck" because it is spread out over time. We don't finish a tournament and say, "wow, I got so lucky today. I had 26 people that had 2-outers on me and none of them hit!" Why not? Because we feel we were "supposed to win" those. All of them.
And even more so with situations, that are much closer and more common, like being all-in preflop with a pocket pair against one overcard like QQ against AJ. When we win such a hand, we dont feel particularly lucky, but if we win three such hands in a row, that was actually quite lucky, since statistically we should have lost one of them.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey all!

The law of averages will take care of any bad feelings...they will stop instantly when your pocket aces that hit a set on the flop lose to a 2, 5 of clubs that hit the turn and river to flush your set down the toilet.

O

oldbutslow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cant see a reason as to why i should feel bad about sucking out every now and then because i will be in the losing side of it alot of times to.

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, it is sometimes an impulsive reaction. If I stand up before deciding, I tend to make better decisions, especially after having played for hours already. The mind gets tired and it becomes harder to surpress tilt feelings. You have 20 seonds or so - use them!