Feeling bad about sucking out?

D

DrBadBeat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Variance is part of the game. You can feel bad for your opponent but at the end of the day you want to win every hand.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey all!

So, in my last two online sessions, I've been happy with my play over all (I'm still learning of course). However, in two specific hands, I've made bad calls with the worst of it...these aren't calls that were marginal or can be justified. Without going into specifics, upon the hand review, I knew I should not have called or re-shoved. I don't know what I was thinking.

On both those hands, I sucked out....one was just a river card, the other was both the turn and the river to give me winning hands. I actually felt really bad about it because I know I shouldn't have made those calls. My opponents, both times, had me crushed.

My question, then, is in the title. Do any of you feel bad about sucking out?
For myself not at all. Today anyway, tomorrow who knows lol.

Here's the thing though a poker coach told me you should take the emotion out of the game. I forget not everyone is like that and Ifind I have to work on it quite a bit as well. But if I take a really thin line on a play because a) its early in a tourney and I want to stack so I get overaggressive and make bad actions, but win a flip i have 20% or less chance of winning. b) convince myself the person that shoved is bluffing, and in fact they have me crushed, but I suckout and hit a set the next street.

I used to feel bad about it but that was years ago. I have played enough that others have done the same ridiculous moves against me and won so its easy to move on. And there are many reasons people make those plays and actions and they are not necessarily done with malicious intent.

What i find interesting though is I get a little put off by anyone that calls anyone out on it in a derogatory fashion. If I truly took the emotion out of the game this would not bother me , but my attitude is unless you just started within a year and don't study you are either ignorant or delusional about how the game is played. So while I don't enjoy losing to bad beats or losing hands my opponent has a thin line on, I never ridicule that player just make a mental note of it or if online put possible range and position given the action in his notes.

The other funny thing is people look at push fold charts and think they are to be followed to the letter. While a number of pros insist it should be used as a starting point not as if its written in stone. So being completely imperfect all of our ranges are going to vary to some extent. And if someone is not studying and playing a non GTO strategy it changes even further, I just see it as there are various styles of play. And it takes some people a long time to realize this.

Sorry for the long winded response but i just took a bong hit 🤣

As to your original question yes its can look quite dirty sometimes, but poker is an imperfect game, and even if you play it perfectly you are bound to lose some percentage of the time. And there is no reason you have to feel bad about it when you win in those spots.

Anyway that's my take on it today maybe as I learn more that view will change but for now ...

Last edited:
Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker, you can't assume that you played badly because you lost, unfortunately in poker, the game depends on luck, of course, to a lesser extent, otherwise everyone would have played bingo))
For example, on the turn, you and your opponent put all-in, you have a ready hand, the opponent has 1 or 2 outs to win, and the opponent catches his out with the river, can we say that you played badly? no, on the contrary, you played well, you were just lucky.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do feel bad when I suck out terribly! I will even write sorry in the chat bar just because it shows some respect, I guess.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I dont feel bad when I do suck out but I do feel sorry for the other player many times. The reason I do is I know how it feels to have it happen to me.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow, good discussion here! Just played another session of NL Hold'em and "sucked out" twice....once beating trips and the other one two pair. But, it was mainly because my opponents were not betting their good hands....they were either betting 1/3 of the pot or slow-playing by checking, allowing me to draw. I did not feel bad...they kept me around lol. It actually made me think about my own play....when you have it, bet it, and deny odds to the drawing opponent. Whether you win or lose, doesn't matter. "Over-trapping" or fancy play syndrome is something to be aware of.

J

Jerlim

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A variação faz parte do jogo. Você pode se sentir mal pelo seu oponente, mas no final do dia você quer ganhar todas

I do feel bad when I suck out terribly! I will even write sorry in the chat bar just because it shows some respect, I guess.
the least you have to have to suck the opponent is a pair of hands, or high cards, otherwise, it was a bad bet, and the point is that you can't get into the habit of making bad bets

testing826

testing826

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i feel bad and unlucky when i sukout with AA ,but what else to do and learn from

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey all!

So, in my last two online sessions, I've been happy with my play over all (I'm still learning of course). However, in two specific hands, I've made bad calls with the worst of it...these aren't calls that were marginal or can be justified. Without going into specifics, upon the hand review, I knew I should not have called or re-shoved. I don't know what I was thinking.

On both those hands, I sucked out....one was just a river card, the other was both the turn and the river to give me winning hands. I actually felt really bad about it because I know I shouldn't have made those calls. My opponents, both times, had me crushed.

My question, then, is in the title. Do any of you feel bad about sucking out?
If it's a bad beat at a very important tournament, really make me feel bad, but not 4 the whole day.