Does anyone else get bored/lose patience with online poker but not live?

subaru16162

subaru16162

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When playing live I love it. I stay engaged and think pretty actively on all my moves etc. but when it comes to online I just get bored and stand making stupid decisions out of pure boredom and I even know the decisions are terrible.

ms_attack

ms_attack

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I can understand what you mean. I think it's because online you have a shorter time to think and you play a lot more hands per hour online. In addition, you have the possibility to play another tournament immediately, which will also be noted in the back of your mind.

That's why it sometimes happens that you make hasty decisions.

ElScorcho008

ElScorcho008

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yes. I have had times in online poker where I said "well, time to double up or go out" and just pushed all in with garbage hands. I have NEVER even thought of doing that in a live game. And I really shouldn't online either. It doesn't happen often anymore at least

Delenia

Delenia

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes, I get bored if I am only playing 1 game online. I have to be doing something else too. Most of the time I am playing multiple games, but sometimes I am reading emails or browsing CardsChat (like I am doing now). It really keeps me from overplaying or getting bored.

Falai_san

Falai_san

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
When you play one game, you will definitely feel bored.
Because you make most of your focus on one game.
I usually play 4-6 games at the same time.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
I'd say it's only natural to get bored online only playing 1 game and focusing completely on it. You are basically staring at your screen, looking and numbers unfold. You can't make nearly as many reads, you can't really chat properly, you don't need to focus on how you act ect.

Lets make a simple comparison. How long can you hold a conversation online/by phone compared to talking to someone in real life. At least for me, in real life I always feel I'm running out of time when engaging in conversation with someone, while online or on phone 10-15 min and I can't wait to hold up.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
When you play one game, you will definitely feel bored.
Because you make most of your focus on one game.
I usually play 4-6 games at the same time.
I agree, you just need to play more tables, and then it won't be boring. I think on the contrary, playing 1 table offline is much more boring.

PupsikCat

PupsikCat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
You need to take breaks from online poker. Because these sessions at the computer are very tiring and, as a result, a lot of errors in the game.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
When playing live I love it. I stay engaged and think pretty actively on all my moves etc. but when it comes to online I just get bored and stand making stupid decisions out of pure boredom and I even know the decisions are terrible.
I don't think I get bored as much as I'm just finished w/my session which is usually around 5+ hours, depending. After that I usually read or watch some streams or ft's from around the pokerverse.
If my focus waivers from the game while I'm playing then I'll go ahead and stop and engage in the distraction, ya know, get it out of the way.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's the opposite for me. Bored of smoking clowns.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Of all the great ways to compromise your own game that exist, none is more common or more costly than impatience.An experienced player should be able to say "no". Saying “no” to calls out of position, and calls like “I just want to see the flop”, playing on tilt, or being tired – a winning player should be able to answer “no” to all this.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think you, like me, are so bored playing online and we understand that we are doing terrible things and that's very bad I would say to you and myself too, we just get bored to lick the Internet and watch movies or play another game so we don't get bored and in the meantime we don't pay attention to the table and make terrible moves and it's hard to give it up, so I play less and play when I want to play

Z

zingbust

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I get bored online, that's why I've swithed to live lately. Online where I play (wsop.om) you can't put a face to a name so it's very difficult to know who's who and who's doing what. I've tried just playing solid ABC poker at the lowest possible stakes, but the other players are too good for me. I don't know what they're using as additional tools than just note-taking ability but they must be doing something right because i lose in 90% of my cash game sessions at 1c/2c nl and find the players to be an order of magnitude better than the live game players at $1/$2 nl or $1/$3. After the flop is when they excel. They know when they're beat and they fold so if you finally catch a hand against them you only win a small pot, they know when you're bluffing and you get picked off, and when you have a fairly big hand and find yourselves engaged with 1 or more of them postflop, they always know precise bet sizing to use and it feels like they've had years and years of daily experience playing online.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, for me play in live is difficult because is not easy control your emotions and is easy to read me, and in online poker you can see in according how the villains act.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Maybe it's the rays emitted by the monitor or not having anyone to talk to. Ever thought you might have some kind of anxiety?

nameless

nameless

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Yes i think its better to play live tournaments the adrenaline is great.. i think im more focused and try to get tells from oponnents. Of course because i only play.one table so i have more time to focus on other things. online sometimes i just get bored and play lots of hands i shoudnt and try to make moves i shoudnt for boredom

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
If it's normal, that's why I prefer to play Hyper Turbo tournaments

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I understand you, but it is very easy to prevent boredom. Try to play just more number of tables, 3-4 for example. I assure you, you will immediately become more interesting and you simply will not have time for boredom :)

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that online poker is not safe, I think they favor certain players.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
i get bored playing live ring games .at least if you are online you can open another 3 or 4 tables ( mtt, sng or ring )

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You are not alone, I have the same problem, during a live game I have the added incentive of Social Interaction between players and have made many new Friends over the years, but with on-line Poker it just doesn't have the same quality, especially when you are typing out a message to a player who might be involved in a hand, and just as you click "Enter" to send the message, "Boom!" another player bite's the dust, and your message never gets to them, or they are moved to another table, So Annoying!
You cannot replace simple Conversation!

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
doesnt happen to me, i try to stay focused and make good calls

K

Ketoupitou

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Oh yes! Not having a face in front of me to apologize for bad beating me is making it worse than irl. No doubt.

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yep amongst other things. I.ve hardly played any online this last couple months, been playing live 4/5 times a week

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely play live poker, so, I don't get bored when I play live poker because it's always an event for me. But I get bored many times playing online poker, specially when I'm in a bad run.

Organize a Home Poker Game