Adding notes to a player

M

mps

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was wondering what are the criteria you usually take notes for a player on online poker?
For example do you write down their aggression level or things they do wrong, etc?

* I am considering there is no HUD involved, so I won't have access to players' stats.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was wondering what are the criteria you usually take notes for a player on online poker?
For example do you write down their aggression level or things they do wrong, etc?

* I am considering there is no HUD involved, so I won't have access to players' stats.

The main thing I use the notes for are cards they play that are normally outside their range from that position. Example would be if they open raise 78s UTG or they over limp with a strong hand, do they have bluffs in their 3 or 4 bet range (3 bet IP with 56s) and stuff like that. Another thing I do is I color code people (requires paying attention) and I normally only play 2 tables at a time online. Red=NIT Green=fish etc, that why when I sit at a table I can already see what type of people I am sitting with.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. This is a very good question. I take notes on the cards they play. I also note if they play junk and get very aggressive with that.
Dan'O

M

mps

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. This is a very good question. I take notes on the cards they play. I also note if they play junk and get very aggressive with that.
Dan'O

The main thing I use the notes for are cards they play that are normally outside their range from that position. Example would be if they open raise 78s UTG or they over limp with a strong hand, do they have bluffs in their 3 or 4 bet range (3 bet IP with 56s) and stuff like that. Another thing I do is I color code people (requires paying attention) and I normally only play 2 tables at a time online. Red=NIT Green=fish etc, that why when I sit at a table I can already see what type of people I am sitting with.

Thank you guys. That wa so usefull.

The reason I ask this question is that I am preparing a template to paste in for every single player I play against so that I can fill it out for them during the time.
And some of the points you mentioned are so usefull for my template.

How many categoeies do you guys usually use to color-code your opponent? I only use LAG, TAG and NIT at the moment.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
If you are not using a HUD, your guts are the best thing to rely on when taking notes. I mean, you take notes of what's more relevant to you in terms of information about your opponents. Examples proposed by Dhendrixon above are very useful.
Like you, I only color-code LAG, TAG and NIT, but some people use a lot more, up to 9 colors...

G

Germanets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I add notes and color notes for player if I played enoгgh hands with him on the same table and definitely think that he do something in same manner. For example - see flop with too many hands, plays too aggressive every hand or folds too often on flop. Also I add notes for regular players, who definitely plays good and do that on few tables in the same time.

R

redsfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you play alot of free rolls i do like to take notes.The main reason, is there are several players that just want to go allin every hand.I like to know who those players are.I also make notes of those that are very aggressive,who tend to bluff alot.I want to also know who plays tight,normally these players usually have a good hand, when they raise or go all in.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never note, but i remember players' name. :eek:

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you guys. That wa so usefull.

The reason I ask this question is that I am preparing a template to paste in for every single player I play against so that I can fill it out for them during the time.
And some of the points you mentioned are so usefull for my template.

How many categoeies do you guys usually use to color-code your opponent? I only use LAG, TAG and NIT at the moment.

I use four color codes, red, orange, yellow and green. Red is a NIT, Orange is a TAG, Yellow is a LAG and Green is Loose Passive player. You can determine these by how many hands they play and do they raise when they come into the pot.

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont take notes, because I play a lot of cash games and tournaments , also lot of players (nowadays) change styles and adjust . Very skillfull new generation of players

Z

Zeke67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As much as possible

I put as much info on a player as it allows. However, I usually’note’ a player when I meet them in a cash room unless a tournament player makes an impression. Usually in a MTT people are in and out pretty quickly. If I spend any amount of time with a player I have tagged them with notes one way or another.

Z

Stay Safe

M

ManiakKK

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I started to color players on big tournaments...or ZOOM..

I never have used it as I have used HM2 plus note caddy. But anyway that didnt help. I have as I have came back asked a refud as it doesnt help much.

Anyway once I develop big on cash or torunament I put comments as -> called with 78, bluffed or waitied for 1 out and won. Or gambling on less then 30% odds... etc... or to agressive with big hands...short comments!

Sometimes i just put tilts too much :D

Detailed hand explanations i dont think you need it. I use it like psycho analisis, More about to check what kind of the player it is.

If i am in a hurry .e.g. ZOOM i color them, green means loose, orange lucky on the river or raising on the river non agressive-> means i need to raise them too much and risk.

Red is wild one...

Gold is too tight etc...

People can mix their play, but they cant mix their personality and go loose player, to smart player or non tilting one in less then 30 minutes or 1h...pros can..

A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes I write down something from the sharkscope, add colors as well, and watch what cards are involved and the way they go to the showdown

B

bixbixbix

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I use HM3 but I am a little overwhelmed by all the features of the software.
Anyone can recommend a (or several) either YouTube videos/Course, free or paid, that teaches exclusively:
- How to use all the features
- How to analyze hands and databases to get find leaks on my game and improve

Thanks in advance

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The notes I give the players are based on their playing style and player types examples: loose, passive, caught, donkey or regular. You can also add how they play preflop and post-flop, if they like to open with marginal hands or like to steal pots out of position ect ..

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I note those who go all-in a lot, whom I easily beat, who collect combinations and go to the end.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use Notes. Usually I used to describe the style of play for the given player (I mean, how he played when we were sitting at a common table. For example: passive, aggressive, tight, etc ...)

Bobbybones1950

Bobbybones1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use HM3 but I am a little overwhelmed by all the features of the software.
Anyone can recommend a (or several) either YouTube videos/Course, free or paid, that teaches exclusively:
- How to use all the features
- How to analyze hands and databases to get find leaks on my game and improve

Thanks in advance

It is overwhelming for me as well

Search you tube "Jonathan Little Poker Hud"

Good Luck see you at the tables :beer:

D

DevaCat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My main notes are via the PT4 HUD, and NoteTracker, which I've customised and added a number of custom notes to, to reflect some of the crazy stuff you see at micros (eg "Mindonks with air"). I also colour code every villain with 30+ hands, although that's only for lobby purposes, with different colours for whales, fish, LAGs, TAGs, nits. Helps me table and seat select (eg, happy to play a table with a LAG on my right but not really happy when there is one on my left; vice versa with nits). Until proven otherwise at the micros I assume unknowns are weak, as after a few 10k hands most of the decent players have been allocated to a category, as they play regularly, so it also helps me to keep track of the general levels of players' experience.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I put a note if the player goes limp strong hands AQ, AK, QQ, KK, AA.
The player strong hands goes standard raise and weak hands goes limp.
Collates all streets with a small pair, telephone exchange )).
Often plays aggressively weak hands, loose player.

KasyakoFF

KasyakoFF

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only tag weak players! these are those who limp a lot or go all-in at the beginning of the tournament

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I see that someone play really loose, I tag him/her with green colour, and in the future call he’s bets wider than I usually do. Also take note with what they play, and most of the time that helps, but it has to be with caution, because even lose players can hit some good cards.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The more information you can gather on a player the better, up to a point. You want to have a lot of information, but not too much that you can't absorb it quickly. I started keeping notes back before HUDS were widely used. So over time, I've come up with numerous terms that I use to describe different players, styles or tendencies as well as my own shorthand for describing a hand. I can usually describe how a hand played out from pre-flop to the river in a single line.

I usually start with a color code. Then I will use two or three terms or phrases to try to encapsulate my overall impression of a player. I follow that up with two or three hands that I feel are typical for how I think that player plays. Occasionally, I will end with a single line suggesting a strategy to employ for that player, such as "let them lead" or "give them a chance to bluff the river".

One time played a hand where I raised pre-flop with A-Q suited. The small blind called and we saw a flop of Q-9-9 heads up. He checked and then called my two thirds pot bet. After a 2 fell on the turn, he jammed all-in. I usually don't take very long to act. In fact, I play with my time bank turned off and have to activate it if I don't want my hand to be folded after the action clock winds down. In this case, I was considering a fold, thinking that this guy might be holding a 9 and have gotten lucky on me. Then I realized that I had notes on this particular player. I activated my time bank and waved my pointer over that player's name and saw:

FOS
ConRep
Bully bluff shove

> check/call flop, turn - shove river 5x5

*make him show

As soon as I saw those notes, I recalled having played against this guy several days before. Once my notes sparked my memory, I recalled so much more about this player than was in my notes. I made the call. He turned over Q-2. He had Qs and 9s, just like me, but with a 2 kicker against my Ace. The river didn't help him and I took down a huge pot and left this annoying player crippled.

As I said, I had been very close to folding before reading my notes. After reading them, I felt much more confident about calling him. What my notes told me was that this player was full of shit, that he constantly and repeatedly went all-in, and that he often bullied his opponents by bluff shoving. I saw that I had previously seen him him check/call the flop and turn before going all-in on the river five times out of five hands that I watched and that I should call him and make him show me the best hand if he indeed held it.

I typically keep notes on what I consider "bad" players, or when I see obvious leaks in a player's game that I feel like I can exploit in the future. With so many players out there, it's hard to keep notes on all of them. I tend to focus on one or two players at a table that stand out to me or do something that catches my attention. I have a tendency to remember good players, and don't tend to keep notes on them. Besides, I expect good players to switch their game up enough that expecting them to play a certain way from one session to the next might actually get you into trouble.

Last edited:
R

romamirr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, really a very useful thing! I think it is always very important to try to follow the actions of your opponents in order to understand what style they are playing and what they are capable of. Especially in hold'em, it is imperative to be able to play from your opponent and not from your own cards.
Therefore, the simplest and most effective way is to take notes (notes) based on your previous experience with him.