Adding notes to a player

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Write down if they're a calling station, overly aggressive, weak, play too many hands, if they fold to 3bets, if they call flop Cbets and then fold to turn Cbets, things like that.

P

PYO88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was wondering what are the criteria you usually take notes for a player on online poker?
For example do you write down their aggression level or things they do wrong, etc?

* I am considering there is no HUD involved, so I won't have access to players' stats.

thats exactly what i do..like if they all-on all the time.. or big bet before the flop than fold

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use HM3 but I am a little overwhelmed by all the features of the software.
Anyone can recommend a (or several) either YouTube videos/Course, free or paid, that teaches exclusively:
- How to use all the features
- How to analyze hands and databases to get find leaks on my game and improve

Thanks in advance

I believe BobbyBones mentioned Jonathan Little, that he has something on HUD's, and how to use them to work best with your game. The nice part about HUDs is its flexibility in that it can be customized to what works best for each individual because we all look at the game and absorb information differently.

It may seem daunting, with all the features it has, but I find that it can be used to help block out noise that goes on in the game as well.

I love using the HUD to pick up tendencies in players, like everyone else here, and it's helped me in future situations against players. In a recent game, someone limp called my shove with unsuited broadway cards (I had Aces though my opponent covered me, but I probably wouldn't have shoved my entire stack without past knowledge on this player). I'm sure everyone has THIS story where they used past experience that they noted to help them in a current situation.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only wrote down two notes during the year. This usually doesn't do anything, because there may not be a new meeting. Poker is played by many players.

DEDbaradeddv

DEDbaradeddv

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was wondering what are the criteria you usually take notes for a player on online poker?
For example do you write down their aggression level or things they do wrong, etc?

* I am considering there is no HUD involved, so I won't have access to players' stats.

I write the range of cards with which villain come into play and his bet sizes.:icon_sant

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually put just the labels and don't write anything

MMaki1981

MMaki1981

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I will make notes on their aggression level but I also take notes on their betting style, what sort of cards they will push with. Really anything that I know about them that could benefit my game play against them in a hand. I also use different colors (if possible) for a quick reference tag to certain players/playing styles. It has definitely helped me many times;)

Raphael Zabel

Raphael Zabel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take note of the opponents' playing style.

I

iamKK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you guys. That wa so usefull.

The reason I ask this question is that I am preparing a template to paste in for every single player I play against so that I can fill it out for them during the time.
And some of the points you mentioned are so usefull for my template.

How many categoeies do you guys usually use to color-code your opponent? I only use LAG, TAG and NIT at the moment.

I would suggest not to fill out a template so that you could fill it out for each player. When you are on the table you want to focus more on what your opponent is doing and take them down and not filling out a template. This would just side track you as you will try to find the missing info in your template on each player. You should simply keep your notes simple and easy to read when you are in a tough situation because this is not a live game where you get a much longer time to think through the situation.

But if it works for you since you are only playing 2 tables then forget what I just said because I play 6 tables and there is almost no time to take notes on each player with a lot of details. What I do is save the hand history and go back to it when I am done with my session and take notes. During session I just give them a tag: NIT, LAG, TAG, Fish, and Whale.

vsawake01

vsawake01

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tom my mind any "strange" actions (from your point of view) should be noted. Call on second pair and so one.

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday all....i take notes occasionally...habits to notice...reckless shoves..mouthin off...constant 3-bets...odd bluffs...

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
once i pick up on a players tendency, i note it, if they play a lot of hands, and what they are going in with, what they call with, and how they bet when they bluff or have a strong hand.