What do you think about home games?

HansWurst77

HansWurst77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And we have a kind of league, too. Every serie consits of twelve events, 1st place in an event earns 6 points, 2nd place 5 points and so on till one point for the last place (6th). The player with the most points at the end of a serie is the champion....and the next serie starts.

We have the results, the currant ranking and the overall-ranking online on a little homepage:
http://3pair.bplaced.net

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ever since the first time someone invited me to play poker when I was sixteen, it's been pretty much the same story. Every time I got invited to a home game, I did so well that I was never invited back. And that was well before I ever took poker seriously.

I did have some friends a little while back. They were all pool players. But more than that, they were the types that are always looking for action to sweat. They would get together a couple times a week to play low limit games. The pool hall also hosted a game on Saturday nights. Liquor sales were prohibited on Sunday, so they locked the doors and turned the signs off at midnight and set up a poker table. That's when we usually tried to set up serious action on the pool tables. So we did our thing on one side and they did theirs on the other. A couple of my buddies had tried their luck in the poker game, and had warned the rest of us to stay away from it. I had played, and did well in it a couple of times. In fact the only problem I had with it was that a lot of the guys who showed up for it were gangsters and drug dealers. They all had that "money ain't a thang" attitude. But at the same time I got the feeling that they might try to rob me in the parking lot afterwards.

Anyway, I didn't even really play in the home games with my friends. But one night someone mentioned me doing pretty well in the Saturday night game. One of my buddies acted like he didn't believe it, saying that he had even lost money in that game, like if he lost in it, there was no way I could have won. So I decided to get into the game and crushed it. I made it a point to punish my one buddy in particular. I would slow play big hands and set monster traps for him. I made it ugly too, talking trash every time I picked off one of his bluffs. Every once in a while I would show him a bluff, and talk more trash.

The next time they played, I showed up again, but didn't play. I let them know that, if they hadn't already realized it yet, they didn't really want me in the game whether they knew it or not. Instead, I sat with and enjoyed the attention of the ladies and acted as the designated joint roller.

I don't mind playing in a home game. But most of my friends never really played poker until they saw it on T.V.. None of them ever read a poker book or studied the game. The game at the pool hall was more my speed. I would play in it every once in a while when my best friend could come with me and watch my back, which was less and less often once his son was born.

HansWurst77

HansWurst77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ever since the first time someone invited me to play poker when I was sixteen, it's been pretty much the same story. Every time I got invited to a home game, I did so well that I was never invited back. And that was well before I ever took poker seriously.

I did have some friends a little while back. They were all pool players. But more than that, they were the types that are always looking for action to sweat. They would get together a couple times a week to play low limit games. The pool hall also hosted a game on Saturday nights. Liquor sales were prohibited on Sunday, so they locked the doors and turned the signs off at midnight and set up a poker table. That's when we usually tried to set up serious action on the pool tables. So we did our thing on one side and they did theirs on the other. A couple of my buddies had tried their luck in the poker game, and had warned the rest of us to stay away from it. I had played, and did well in it a couple of times. In fact the only problem I had with it was that a lot of the guys who showed up for it were gangsters and drug dealers. They all had that "money ain't a thang" attitude. But at the same time I got the feeling that they might try to rob me in the parking lot afterwards.

Anyway, I didn't even really play in the home games with my friends. But one night someone mentioned me doing pretty well in the Saturday night game. One of my buddies acted like he didn't believe it, saying that he had even lost money in that game, like if he lost in it, there was no way I could have won. So I decided to get into the game and crushed it. I made it a point to punish my one buddy in particular. I would slow play big hands and set monster traps for him. I made it ugly too, talking trash every time I picked off one of his bluffs. Every once in a while I would show him a bluff, and talk more trash.

The next time they played, I showed up again, but didn't play. I let them know that, if they hadn't already realized it yet, they didn't really want me in the game whether they knew it or not. Instead, I sat with and enjoyed the attention of the ladies and acted as the designated joint roller.

I don't mind playing in a home game. But most of my friends never really played poker until they saw it on T.V.. None of them ever read a poker book or studied the game. The game at the pool hall was more my speed. I would play in it every once in a while when my best friend could come with me and watch my back, which was less and less often once his son was born.
Very, very nice story and really nice written. Thank your for entertaining me.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Very, very nice story and really nice written. Thank your for entertaining me.

Preciate it. Sometimes I just start typing and don't realize how long I've gone on until I hit submit.

lyudiko

lyudiko

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Home games are cool. We play rarely with friends, unfortunately

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I miss the weekly home game this covid 19 is killing all the fun :mad: but hopefully it will be over soon and me and the boys will be back at it every Friday night till the sun comes up :D

The Riff_Raff :cool:

D

DenGybka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is very cool, especially poker, you can just sit and play.

BigDice75

BigDice75

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like home games because generally there are not many players that participate and therefore I have a better chance of winning some money.

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
It is a good way to have fun with friends and family, I rarely use it for private tournaments.

M

MoneyMaker4i

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
kk

Is very good to have fun at home on rainy dayzz

noLatenzy

noLatenzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's good to play with friends and have a little of fun!

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Home games is a good training ground for players who are starting to learn the game. You get to play with people you know, and you dont get traumatized by players who are sore losers that trash talks players who bad beat them.

P

paulokiyonaga

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play for hobby in this quarentine

doma47

doma47

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Three days ago i winned for me not so small home tournament , and cashed out 250 euros , we were playing just one table with 9 players , buy in was 10 euros same as a rebuy first 2 hours , and addon 20 euros , it was my first live "tournament" and i was so overconfident winning that tournament before i come there , i did one rebuy and zero addons , i was folding almost every hand to see opponents play style , and than i calm down and start playing when i see an opportunity for good pot situations , before this tournament i was playing most of the frerolls at partypoker and pokerstars and 20k hands in cash game , so idk now is it luck that i winned tournament or im getting better at the game , that players was recreational like me and i will go there again to see where im standing am i good for them or not , but that expirience was so good and i get more motivation for my future games.
ps i quited online poker 3 weeks ago and than i winned that tournament , i will come back at online poker when i get enouf bankroll so i can play at nl 50 or 5/10+ euros buy in tournaments

Last edited:
Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games