Poker table banter and cross talk: Viable strategy, or unacceptable behavior?

M

MF.Brn

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion, in all sports, not just poker, talking to your opponents is good, but there are limits, you have to respect the players, I think that's the basic of being human. You can talk to anyone at the table in good faith, unless you're acting in bad faith, in which case it's not acceptable.

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think you can talk and joke at the table; but what Kassouf did with his gestures, it seems to me that it was disrespectful and he did that repeatedly

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is not correct, at the poker tables there should always be respect, there is a saying that says, a gentleman is known at the gaming table.

sabir

sabir

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
William Kassouf rose to notoriety during the 2016 WSOP Main Event for his use of verbal tactics to throw his opponents off balance and constant pushing of rules and boundaries. What is your opinion - is this type of play a valid strategy in live poker, or was Kassouf's behavior just way out of line and bordering on cheating?

Hello,
William Kassouf acted in an unprofessional manner
on this one.
if we compare the Daniel Negreanu's reads and the way he reacts verbally, w generally he do not disrespect his opponents

have good reads and share them at a poker table with players with whom you are used to play many times , it's not the same with players you don't know
Poker its a game of respect and certainly several tactics but rather focus on Ranges and SPR's of your opponents its better than intimidating them

laihuynh

laihuynh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
If the atmosphere of the table is too boring, we can talk to each other, it is also a way of socializing and getting used to it, that is my feeling.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If person isn't wearing a helmet and willing to talk, then why not talk to him and extract some value from such conversation... its not illegal isn't it??

xico_moita

xico_moita

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Obter informações verbalmente sobre a força da mão do outro jogador, talvez tirando-o do seu estado de “poker face”, é bom, mas se se transformar em abuso verbal já não é aceitável.
Se alguém é bom em equilibrar táticas verbais, sabendo quando recuar, tudo bem, porque isso faz parte do pôquer ao vivo, é assim que as informações são coletadas.
Excellent comment, I think that was short and the best answer..

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ve only ever played 1 live tournament that was for a local fundraiser. I found that to be stressful enough and there was not anyone being rude or obnoxious. As I watch these clips, I feel even stronger about feeling too nervous and not wanting to even try to play live games. As an online poker player, I had hoped to one day build up my confidence and give live poker a try, but this seems very intimidating and is not very inviting for new or women players.

I think friendly banter would be one thing, but I don’t feel there is a good enough reason to be rude to another person while playing poker, let alone other times in life. Chattering like a chipmunk the entire time she is trying to make a decision is just plain and simple world class ass material.

Last edited:
Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
The truth is that Kassouf created unbearable confusion at the table to the point that it affected everyone, even the dealer himself🤨.
He provoked and upset everyone with his bad behavior, and this is not the etiquette of the game of poker, nor the ethics of a professional or even an ordinary player. Unfortunately, Matuson was the victim of this unjustified recklessness.
How would you feel or react if you were Ms. Matuson?😒😡🤬

Last edited:
lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
It all depends on not losing certain boundaries. As for simple banter, I think it is also a form of poker strategy. Poker is not just a game of cards. It also plays with your own and even other people's emotions, which is why it is so important to learn your own good mindset first and only then poker. Without a good mindset, poker makes no sense. As for behavior at the poker table, of course everything should be in moderation. However, boorish and boorish or vulgar behavior should be immediately suppressed and the player, in case of lack of culture, should receive a warning along with possible consequences of exclusion from the game. Banter is OK, but rudeness, vulgarity and lack of civility are not.

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, he sums it all up for himself doesn’t he. He can’t even re-tell what took place to the people he speaks to afterwards which just goes to show it was all bluster to put the other player off their game ( not necessarily a bad thing in its own right) but did so in an intimidatory manner which was clearly out off order. He simply thinks he is better than he really is. I’m surprised someone hasn’t punched him by now.

Damo

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, to a certain extent, conversations at the table should be limited, especially when it comes to important online events. Sometimes, comments, remarks and criticism of the opponent can throw off the balance, and in my opinion it will not be a fair competition. Often there are opponents who frankly deserve to be banned in the context of communication, because they start abusing this communication.

Sheepodog

Sheepodog

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If I can elicit information from other players with chitchat, i'll do it.
I don't believe it's in illegal ploy. I believe that you can be friendly, but still learn about the tendencies of other players.
And if it gets under the other player's skin they'll make mistakes.
Just don't make it personal. Xenophobia, bigotry, Etcetera, Etcetera. Not acceptable.

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I dont think he was that bad have heard alot worse

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Personally, I prefer when my opponents play silently. I am a supporter of banning any conversations that only distract other players at the table.

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
A conversation about ways and thoughts of the game to try to extract information from your opponents, I think is good. However, this attitude of trying to confuse and take away the opponent's concentration, I think is unethical.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Well, depending on the tournament, generally the ones I played in couldn't have any say in the action, of course with other players who weren't in the hand, I think this is clear for all tournaments, they are rules, but among the players who are in the hand, I think it's normal, It's up to the player to become distracted and lose focus due to strange and normal speeches that happen during the game, in my opinion I think this is super normal!

Miyagi not miyaji

Miyagi not miyaji

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I think it's part of the game. I really enjoy this part of poker. It's not just about GTO and solvers. Speech play and mind games are a huge aspect of live poker.

You can see it really works and it gets in people's minds

userX

userX

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
When I play poker, I try not to get distracted, so I'm just not interested in conversations during the game, or rather, I don't pay attention to them. But I only play online. When playing live, sometimes it must be difficult to just ignore the conversations, so I think it's better if all conversations are not allowed.

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I see the players at the poker table only as opponents. For me, these players are not friends or even my acquaintances, they are all competitors for the first place and the main prize. I have nothing to talk about with my opponents and therefore I am against talking during the game.

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I don't know if it falls under cheating, but it certainly falls under a major lack of common sense. I think that at the game table there should be a certain respect both towards the other participants and towards the dealers and organizers. An etiquette of common sense and civilized behavior should be implied that each player must demonstrate during the game.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
William Kassouf rose to notoriety during the 2016 WSOP Main Event for his use of verbal tactics to throw his opponents off balance and constant pushing of rules and boundaries. What is your opinion - is this type of play a valid strategy in live poker, or was Kassouf's behavior just way out of line and bordering on cheating?

I quite dislike Kassouf in general, but my perspective on his antics is that if it's not in the rule book that someone has to keep quiet or avoid talking in a certain manner, then what he is doing is fine, even if it is annoying. It's easily countered with some headphones and nice music, or earplugs.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I rarely interact with other players when I play online. As for the live game, that's another matter. In my opinion, the ability to communicate during live play is somewhat necessary, but at the same time, I believe that the dealer should monitor the conversations of the players so that there are no abuses, and if necessary, the dealer should have the right to simply stop the conversation. I think conversations should not go beyond discussing aspects of the game.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Table talk is part of the game, being an obnoxious A**Hole is not. Kassouf was also wasting time early on by taking a minute or longer to muck his hand after looking at his cards preflop which irritated the table immensely. Poker is full of people with huge egos who have to show everyone how smart and talented they are and this leads to confrontations. I ignore the drivel of the idiots but I mark them for special attention and will play them more intensely.

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This is just my opinion so don't through me to the dogs. There was a time where Mr. Kassouf's disrespectful talk or actions would have got him shot dead where he sat but that was in the 1860's today they just ask you to tone it down. There are rules to the game they can and have been bent before so it appears this has become apart of the game and we will all just have to get use to it! Some people can just block it out and some can't for those who can't well get yourself some ear buds.
Happy poker to all :giggle:.