Poker table banter and cross talk: Viable strategy, or unacceptable behavior?

Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion, your strategies in the game should be based on your movements, actions in the game. Taking away concentration or using verbal devices is, I believe, considered to be good etiquette. Of course, you shouldn't remain silent at the table, but show respect towards your opponents.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It can be a viable strategy to get reaction from their opponent or get reads. But one has to avoid being disrespectful and annoying to everyone at the table.

R

Ron112355

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't like the guy or people of his ilk but in my opinion, this is a legitimate strategy and as long as you are not berating or abusive should be allowed. As well the rules should be applied equally to all players, I have seen Helmuth get away with a lot worse stuff than this.

dajallina

dajallina

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
In my country there is a saying: “Nothing that is not forbidden is allowed.” And here is the same situation. Commenting on the current situation at the table and various inclusions not directly related to poker are inextricably linked to the live game. Table tournaments are a show of their own, especially the broadcast ones in which poker stars participate. For poker you generally have to have nerves of iron and for live play you have to have nerves and additionally iron eggs 😉. Poker is a game of skill but also the art and ability to focus on the game despite a whole host of distracting things.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's fine and mostly part of the game.

But I do think Kassouf was way out of line in that one 2016 wsop hand with the player thinking hard , for her tournament life, and he wouldn't give her a few minutes to think, just needling and interrupting her, then called clock on her. I mean he did his thing, made his bet and at that point his chips crossed into play, he made his move, she deserved a few minutes to think. An occasional comment here or there might have been ok, but he KNEW he was going to distract her then call clock on her, he had to have that plan in mind which was pretty scummy to do.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think banter and social conversations that don't involve insults create a more interesting atmosphere at the poker table without affecting the flow of the game.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
its an age old question, ' how deep the needle ? '

Amigodzzz

Amigodzzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
The banter and discussion at the poker table can be used in many ways. They can be used to break the ice and create a more relaxed atmosphere, or they can be used to get information about other players' hands.

N

NKGB13

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
William Kassouf rose to notoriety during the 2016 WSOP Main Event for his use of verbal tactics to throw his opponents off balance and constant pushing of rules and boundaries. What is your opinion - is this type of play a valid strategy in live poker, or was Kassouf's behavior just way out of line and bordering on cheating?

reason why I put mi big JBL earphones on and keep idiots away..

Think it's valid though..

Fumogrosso

Fumogrosso

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In love, poker and war, there is no rules

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there is strategy for sure. but some people do cross the line with some things they can say.

78mariusz

78mariusz

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game of skills. One of them is reading the game. In my opinion if you don't feel like talking at the table then you don't talk, if you already start a conversation then with certain skills you are like an open book. That is why, in my opinion, bravo to William Kassouf for playing his hand well

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
William Kassouf, the master of words at the poker tables! His verbal approach was certainly something unique.
In my opinion, as long as it doesn't cross the line of established rules, playing with your opponents' minds can be a valid strategy.
Poker is a game of skill and psychology, after all.
But, of course, you have to be careful not to violate any specific tournament rules.

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
This is speech 🎤 play. Don’t know the rules but this is street poker. I am not a fan of this type of play I just think you should make your chips talk . But as a professional you cannot make another player throw you off your game with taking and gestures. I think it’s a good fold because you don’t want to stack off with just one ☝️ pair. But why bet all in ? If he had a good hand he would not bet all in he would value bet but the speech play throw her off. He is a Maniac so you will catch him again.

Sebbour

Sebbour

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
William Kassouf rose to notoriety during the 2016 WSOP Main Event for his use of verbal tactics to throw his opponents off balance and constant pushing of rules and boundaries. What is your opinion - is this type of play a valid strategy in live poker, or was Kassouf's behavior just way out of line and bordering on cheating?

In my opinion Kassouf's behaviour was definitely out of line. Okay, I know what his motivation is but I definitely don't like that strategy. Not just in poker but in any other sport (I could name several sportsmen who use it a lot but that's another topic). He was using subtle potentially "offensive" words (young lady, this is a friendly table, I'll keep it friendly) to get her confused and distracted. What didn't help her was the "clock" that other player called. Then she found herself "attacked" from two sides.

After the hand was revealed he said: "9 high, like a boss" and that shows he had no respect. And on top of that he doesn't see that he is doing anything wrong. He is even bragging in front of his friends what he was doing. I really don't like those kind of people.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think he was just being himself

I have looked into word play and unnerving opponents
What he did
thats just a bad way to do anything
I'm suprised he is even famous at all

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
william kassouf is way out of line. if its not your turn to play you shouldnt be allowed to talk or distract other players during the hand because players should be able to focus when they are making decisions in the hand.

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like verbal bullies at the table .Even if money is involved it's supposed to be fun . I'd like to see some more rules instituted to prevent the really offensive talk or delaying .Perhaps some kind of ' restraining order ' type of request should be available by contacting the floor people/tourney director.

ebazynski

ebazynski

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I get that some people use talk as a means to project a table image or gain information. I don't mind some friendly banter over the course of a session, but find it annoying when people go on and on about anything and everything. Respect my choice to remain silent and not engage, not get upset and/or pester me about it.

slysilvosilvo

slysilvosilvo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
Its all about a sporty behaviour
" win or lose, you respect your opponent "

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
played different home games my entire life and there were many table talk liars and it definitely works
on your head but you just got to learn to ignore them. there wasn't much you could do in a home game but in
a live game, there should be a line you can't cross.
online it's easy to ignore.

ODRAGD3

ODRAGD3

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The rules should prohibit all types of speech until the cards are shown! because talking or listening to someone creates distraction and the game requires concentration and patience!
I'm one of those who doesn't like to talk even to people outside the table! At the table I think I talk a lot less!

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A little bit of speech play and trash talking is ok.

But people like W. Kassouf and Tony G cross the line and it gets pretty disrespectful when you mock your opponent play.

What they do is borderline bullying.

x patrice x

x patrice x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
The special feature of live poker is the interaction at the table between the players - both through verbal (the spoken word) and non-verbal (through facial expressions and gestures) communication.

However, whether behavior at the table is legitimate or a violation of the tournament rules is primarily at the discretion of the organizer hosting the live poker tournament. If the behavior shown by William Kassouf during the 2016 WSOP Main Event is not explicitly listed as not permitted and is not prohibited at the table by the organizer, it is within the scope of what is permitted and cannot be considered cheating be considered.

The organizer/director is free at any time to warn the players of any violations or, if necessary, to directly disqualify them and exclude them from the tournament.

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I consider this to be unacceptable player behavior as it interferes with others' focus on the game. "Too much is not healthy" so there should be the limit regarding some kind of behavior.