First hand, AA, terrible play?

xaj9x

xaj9x

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I think that you yourself have driven yourself into this situation, because having AA preflop, with a bunch of limps, you need to isolate with a large bet size so that people understand that you have a very strong one there, your 3bb raise , more like a pair of deuces,[emoji3] yes, often you will see a fold from everything, well, there is already so much dead money in the pot that you can’t let people see the flop, especially with a pair of aces[emoji3]

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi! The key word is a rebuy tournament - here people will exhibit very loosely!

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you raise that small, and you are out of position -you are basically pricing the limpers in to draw out on you.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I present to you David Fishman as he folds Pocket AA Preflop��
watch

He was really sure, I think he folded this hand because of his position on the table, because the raise was so ordinary, he made up his mind in just a few seconds.

Last edited:
H

Holdem Tycoon

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you absolutely know, you won’t get away from it and you will end up all in anyways….….then shove all in preflop with AA, Limit the range of hands your up against preflop…….

It’s my opinion that you didn’t raise enough preflop, and also allowing 5 tag alongs to play is not good isolation

Rule of thumb type thing

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live 10 player tournament, unlimited rebuys and add-ons for the first 2 hours. I sat down with 60 big blinds, as did most of the table.

First hand, I am big blind, and I find myself with :ac4: :as4:!

5 limpers to me, and I raise 3xBB. All 5 called. I am happy inside.

Flop comes :ks4: :qs4: :10c4:

SB checks.

I am weary of the flush draw,

but since I have the ace of spades, I feel okay.

I bet 6xBB.

UTG folds, next guy raises to 12xBB.

Folds back to me.

Is he on a flush draw, or straight draw, or does he have it?

Or he has a set maybe?

I push all in and get insta-called.

He flopped king-high straight with :jc4: :9s4:

Turn comes :7s4: leaving me with 11 outs (3 jacks and the other spades)

The river is a :qc4: and I'm out in the first hand.

You played a big hand with little invested even with a preflop 3x BB raise with blinds should be nothing at the beginning of a tourn and you only have an over pair to that wet board. If you have a low buyin of under $300 for a live tourn then they're coming for a ride and you just have to know that. You should be able to get away from a hand like that with just an over pair especially multi way with heavy betting on the flop. Go plug AA into a odds calculator against any 2 random cards to see your results as so many folks go to a flop and Ill tell you they go way down the more callers you get to enter a pot. But the main point is this is a tourn and you have little to nothing invested in the hand.

In cash games of $1/2 I can't tell you how many times I've hit sets with boards like that and we'll have like $15 in a pot with 1-2 people seeing a flop and I can tell they're on a draw and not have the nuts or something really nasty and I'll shove all in for $300 and folks will still call looking for a straight or the flush draw so that "protection bet" doesn't work if you're playing live on the lower levels either cash or tourn.

You need to recognize the type of people you're playing against by going down to the card room and watching some tourns beforehand and understanding tourn structure where you have almost nothing invested in the hand although its a nice over pair. Hope that helps. GL.

R

RedMatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
are you defending your sizing preflop or do you want to get better? 3x is waaay too small a raise with all those limpers.
I was answering a question. Of COURSE I want to get better. Sadly, I was a donkey. I wanted to build the pot preflop. This could be forgiven if the flop wasn't so wet. I have learned a valuable lesson.
Having pocket AA, your goal is to be heads-up with a premium hand before flop, so you should bet a lot.
I now know, thanks!
With that wet board,you have to be willing to fold,,, or lose your shirt. :joyman:
Yeah. :(
If you had raised 6BB and just two players calling the pot would have been just as big on the flop. J9 might have folded.
YEah, bet bigger, got it. Won't happen again.
Next time don't try to trap players or slow play your AA's go all-in.
Si.
I don't understand the 3x raise with 5 limpers...
Yeah, trying to build the pot preflop. Was being stupid.
In order to make an appropriate bet sizing preflop we need to add to our normal bet sizing(2,2bb or 3bb) 1bb per limper that doesn't have possition on us, and 2bb per limper that has posotion on us. So in your case with AA you needed to make a raise 3bb(2,2)+5*1=8bb(7,2) depends on your normal bet sizing.
If you raise that small, and you are out of position -you are basically pricing the limpers in to draw out on you.
...if you think of it from each of your opponents' perspectives they're paying an extra 2bb for a chance to win 18bb assuming no one folds -easy call for all of them with any marginal hand... Hope that made sense!
Yeah, it does actually. Was hoping for a dry flop and that was just silly of me.
You need to recognize the type of people you're playing against by going down to the card room and watching some tourns beforehand and understanding tourn structure where you have almost nothing invested in the hand although its a nice over pair. Hope that helps. GL.
Now that I have been there a while, in many low stakes tourneys, I have gotten a feel for how they play, and who has big bank rolls. --they don't gaf about rebuying 2,3,4, 5 times.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands