First hand, AA, terrible play?

R

RedMatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live 10 player tournament, unlimited rebuys and add-ons for the first 2 hours. I sat down with 60 big blinds, as did most of the table.

First hand, I am big blind, and I find myself with :ac4: :as4:!

5 limpers to me, and I raise 3xBB. All 5 called. I am happy inside.

Flop comes :ks4: :qs4: :10c4:

SB checks.

I am weary of the flush draw,

but since I have the ace of spades, I feel okay.

I bet 6xBB.

UTG folds, next guy raises to 12xBB.

Folds back to me.

Is he on a flush draw, or straight draw, or does he have it?

Or he has a set maybe?

I push all in and get insta-called.

He flopped king-high straight with :jc4: :9s4:

Turn comes :7s4: leaving me with 11 outs (3 jacks and the other spades)

The river is a :qc4: and I'm out in the first hand.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You raise small enough to get 5 callers & you are happy? Why?

R

RedMatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You raise small enough to get 5 callers & you are happy? Why?

Cuz there is more in the pot, which means I can bet more after the flop. Maybe I should have gone all in when I got the option?

I know these people, and if UGT+1 hadn't raised, the others would have called with their 4/5 and A/3. The flop had other ideas. And now I have learned my lesson.

S

StressMit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough break because early on a lot of players will call with anything & bust the AA

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In that type of tournament you have to give everything with those types of hands.
A x3 is usually paid with marginal hands that end up hitting.

ProblemPlaya

ProblemPlaya

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
way too small a raise with all that dead money out there. should be like 7x, not 3. 3x is for when nobody else but blinds are in the hand

ProblemPlaya

ProblemPlaya

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cuz there is more in the pot, which means I can bet more after the flop. Maybe I should have gone all in when I got the option?

I know these people, and if UGT+1 hadn't raised, the others would have called with their 4/5 and A/3. The flop had other ideas. And now I have learned my lesson.

are you defending your sizing preflop or do you want to get better? 3x is waaay too small a raise with all those limpers.

Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Having pocket AA, your goal is to be heads-up with a premium hand before flop, so you should bet a lot.
Reason is simple: having a second player in the game doubles the chances you lose. Having a third one triples, and so on...

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hi

You should have played it from the beginning in a more aggressive way, so as not to open the door to more than one opponent.
In general, I prefer play pocket ace all-in in order to avoid more than one opponent

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With that wet board,you have to be willing to fold,,, or lose your shirt. :joyman:

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If you had raised 6BB and just two players calling the pot would have been just as big on the flop. J9 might have folded.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Next time don't try to trap players or slow play your AA's go all-in.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't understand the 3x raise with 5 limpers. It's not enough to get rid of them (priced in) as you found out. For me, it's a pot sized bet, get rid of at least 3/4 of them. If they all muck, then great, i take down the pot.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Your 3-bet seizing was not adjusted for the number of limpers in the pot pre-flop.

Prince Mantis

Prince Mantis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise sizing preflop

To be honest, I am not a tournament player but I play cash. In order to make an appropriate bet sizing preflop we need to add to our normal bet sizing(2,2bb or 3bb) 1bb per limper that doesn't have possition on us, and 2bb per limper that has posotion on us. So in your case with AA you needed to make a raise 3bb(2,2)+5*1=8bb(7,2) depends on your normal bet sizing.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
this is awful advice

My advice could be awful🤔, but I think it will keep me in the game, and instead of putting myself in the trap, I will be the one to set the trap for them later.
In general, pocket ace is a strong hand and it is tempting if not played properly, but unfortunately it will only be strong before flipping the flop my dear ;) that's all there is to it

Akuana

Akuana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Terrible situation. Was recently with QQ in the freeroll)) The first distribution I have is QQ. I'm going for broke. There is only one opponent left, he has TT and on the river he beats me.
I understand that these are different situations. It is not always clear what bet to play with such a hand. It's a shame when you're not lucky on the river :) It's even more annoying when it's a live tournament.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
way too small a raise with all that dead money out there. should be like 7x, not 3. 3x is for when nobody else but blinds are in the hand
Unfortunately, in some cases, none of these rules will help you, especially in the Freeze-Out tournament, and also if you do not read well your opponents at the table, especially if one of them is aggressive, angry or a beginner, because you will be surprised by an unpleasant result. Plus if an opponent is a good or a professional player in a good position, you can't imagine which hand he'll call, and he won't care or be afraid of your raise, the only thing that might make him fold is an all-in, because often and even if we win a hand We are not always the max on the board if we see the other folded hands.
I think if we want to continue in the game, we also have to defend our strong hands properly.

Vegas77

Vegas77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Don't count on AA. She'll teach you something, but it wont always be pleasant.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be honest, I am not a tournament player but I play cash. In order to make an appropriate bet sizing preflop we need to add to our normal bet sizing(2,2bb or 3bb) 1bb per limper that doesn't have position on us, and 2bb per limper that has position on us. So in your case with AA you needed to make a raise 3bb(2,2)+5*1=8bb(7,2) depends on your normal bet sizing.

This +1, 60bb deep I usually use 2.5X plus 1bb for each limper, but basically the same idea. As played if you think of it from each of your opponents' perspectives they're paying an extra 2bb for a chance to win 18bb assuming no one folds -easy call for all of them with any marginal hand. Also, premium hands are going to lose a lot of value multiway like this versus heads up against a single caller, which is why we want to isolate the original raiser/limper with a larger bet size.

Hope that made sense!

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its the risk you take when playing AA for value post flop, admittedly you are far more likely to get folds pre flop (if you jam) but simply said - initial raise was too small and invited trouble, the flop is wet and so therefore you can expect there to be 2 pairs/draws and possible flushes as outs.

Personally - i want to put a player to a decision - with it being the first hand, im jamming all in pre flop and taking my chances that way but the real question is..a larger initial raise may have eliminated more or less.

The value side of playing AA post flop is always fraught with risk

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
jamming pre first hand with 100bb+ is the stupidest poker advice i've ever heard

Maybe not the stupidest, but close nevertheless.
In this case, actually like you said before, a preflop raise to 7-8 BB is pretty standard.
Making it 3BB with 5 limpers is like just flatting, slow-playing.

With 5 other people still in the hand, no matter AA being your starting hand.....every flop is a wet flop.
You are going to be behind on about every flop.

Imo jamming 60BB is bad, but such a small raise with 5 limpers is even worse.

Also, post flop is terrible taking in account OP says he wanted to bloat the pot to be able to bet more postflop.
So, what is more ?? I mean postflop betting 6BB OOP in an at least 18BB pot....on a wet board ?
After the preflop mistake of just raising it to 3 BB, on that flop I would check-fold without any other thoughts.

JMHO

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands