Would you rather have KQ or a pocket pair?

B

Boa_Raposa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Thansk Cardschat for have accept me, I don't speak English very well, but I am trying to write this post. In the your oppinon is better one pair or king and lady ?

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

With a Balloon to the Moon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello and welcome new member.

One pair is a bit better than kq but its basically a coinflip.
Good luck.

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Welcome to CC! You would be able to brush-up on your English in the forum. You're doing fine.

On your OP, it depends which pair you are referring to, AA is way ahead of AK.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Welcome to Cardschat, you should be active in Cardschat and participate in a lot post, to level up and you get more opportunities to play more freerolls.
Good luck.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I've seen so much barbarity in online poker that I'm starting to wonder what's best, anyway my option is a pair, preferably AA

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thansk Cardschat for have accept me, I don't speak English very well, but I am trying to write this post. In the your oppinon is better one pair or king and lady ?
Depend on pre flop action and position.. Any two cards regardless of a pair can be a potential monster

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Depends on the action, stack sizes, number of players involved in the pot... but to answer only the question about the KQ or (I assume) a small pair: because I like playing post-flop, I like KQ more and I can definitely win way more pots with this hand(maybe by bluffing or by hitting something good), while with a hand like 55(or other small pairs) most of the time you can be 'pushed' around if you don't hit a set on the flop(the odds of flopping a set are 7.5-1, or roughly 12%.).

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I would still pick a pair. Since you will often be ahead on the flop, you need to look at your pot and bet size. If you mean low pairs, then in some situations you need to pass, if you have a pair of 10 or more, your opponent will just be lucky if he wins.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would usually pick a pair, I usually don't have good experience with KQ.

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Nowadays I'd rather have a smaller pair than KQ!:2h4::2s4:

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
KQ unsuited is generally a hand with very few ways to flop a monster and often looks better pre-flop than it actually is. Hard to play post-flop, especially against several opponents.

Any pair can hit monsters like a set (ca 12%) or remain an overpair if it is a high one like QQ-AA. The "lower pair (22-66) rule" is often: no set no bet. At least multiway.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
High pair is better then KQ of course, for me even a lower pair is better. Personally i haven't got luck with KQ. Very occasionally i hit K or Q in a flop with this hand.

machinm19

machinm19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd rather have any pair even though KQ is such a good looking hand.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It depends on the spot and occasion , and how high the pocket pair is . RNG rewards specific moves more . KQs is very good hand

CNXRegie

CNXRegie

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
As a newbie poker player, I would recommend experimenting with both KQ and pocket pairs in different situations to gain experience and learn how they play out. I would observe and adapt to my opponents' actions and always make informed decisions based on the available information. Over time, this can help me develop a better understanding of which hands work best for me and my playing style. Good luck at the tables!

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion it's equivalent, but I prefer another pocket pair!

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I prefer KQ, because post-flop it opens up a lot of possibilities for play. And if it's not favorable, I simply abandon the hand.

P

pltelles

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For a preflop allin I think a pair is better, but a KQ is an excellent hand.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It depends (is a phrase you'll hear a lot in poker strategy) on which pairs you are talking about.

Of course mathematically a small pair, will win slightly more often if there was no more action after the pre-flop round. The trouble is, there almost always is, which makes it very hard for small pairs (22-55) to realise their equity. Unless you hit your set, your going to be faced with over cards that are going to put your small pair under a lot of pressure and probably cause you to fold.

Conversely with KQ, you have much more chance to improve to the best hand. If you have a small pair, there are only 2 more cards you can hit to improve to a set, whereas with KQ, you have 6 cards to hit, which will likely give you the best hand, plus the increased chances of hitting straights or flushes (with KQs)

This is why when you study ranges small pairs are often missing, but KQ is in 100% of ranges.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Definitely a pocket pair.
It's a done deal, either way we take it. This is not a guarantee of victory, but it is definitely an advantage. With KQ (or any other hand) there is nothing even at the beginning, because a board of 4 7 A 10 5 can be placed on the table.
There is a difference between a 'High Card King' and a 'Pair of Tens'...

Trismegisto

Trismegisto

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
KQ suited is a strong hand, but AA is better because you will need at least 2 pairs to win it, which is statistically low

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would prefer KQ when short stacked..
Pocket Pair when deep stacked..

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would always pick a pair over KQ.
Its better to be on the advantage early on.
Problem is online games it seems always favor the underdogs. 🤔🤔