Why is not good to be a limper?

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I read a lot about poker and almost all the articles and books says that is no good to be a limper and like to play this way.
Why is this incorrect?

Winning poker is about aggression.

Sometimes limping is correct - but that is rare.

Good luck !

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is different though. If you are set mining, you don't mind a bunch of limpers to build a pot for you and if you miss, dump it cheap.

The question is more of an overall strategy. It is much easier to play against one opponent than it is 5 or 6. By raising and limiting the field, you not only are able to better predict situations but also open up your options on how to play against your opponents.

Another thing about playing with low pairs is, I would rather see that the pot on the flop is already raised (for example 40bb in the middle or something like) than a poor pot size. In this case, It's more likely I will get paid with my set. That's why I try not to use limp in my strategy at all even when playing with low pairs. If no one is in the pot yet I would raise with 22, not limp. Especially in 6-max game.

I can only limp with 22-88 from EP in full-ring game if I know there're a lot of 3-bettors around there. It's just a cheaper price for set-mining. I know It'll be not OK to raise and call 3-bet with 22 due to mathematical reasons (I'm talking there about usual 100bb stacks) so I can limp-call instead sometimes.

Or I can use over-limp with mediocre hand if there're already about 4 limpers due to these tempting pot odds.

But I don't use open-limp in my game most of time. It sucks.

Last edited:
V

voker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on the situation and the game. Most of the time, you do not want to limp and leave the opening for others to take advantage, unless you are trapping.

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because it will create a pot with many players involved. This decreases the equity of your hand.

chatocham

chatocham

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for feedback guys.I really appreciate that.

C

clasrasmusso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's best to play your hand in the best way and to win as much as possible at the same time do not invite the others and keep up with it all the time you will lose. Do you have a bad hand put it.

MrSkinny

MrSkinny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who Limps?

Yo!

Think of the ranges of player and why they would limp:

1. New/Recreational Players. They limp to see more flops and to get lucky. The risk is creating pots with more players/variance and being pot committed with a weak hand.
  2. Experienced Players. Strategy: to disguise other play types (eg. TAG). Tactics: eg. to create multiway pots then duck out to create a fight amongst the opposition.
  3. Geniuses. Can play any hand and push/fold at the right moment virtually every time.
(1) Shouldn't be doing this. You will be shark food.
(2) At the right time and right place, no problem.
(3) Fine, you can do anything you want. You. Are. A. God!!

If think that justifies a link to the Dunning–Kruger effect!

Peace out all,
Mr Skinny

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I read a lot about poker and almost all the articles and books says that is no good to be a limper and like to play this way.
Why is this incorrect?

Example:(simple)

I have decided to limp with AA from UTG.All fold to SB.SB decides to limp with 37o ,BB check.... flop comes 77A, turn 7, river K...:ciao:LOL!!

Because of this, it is not good to limp.

NinjaHands

NinjaHands

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping can be good, but it's almost never good. Limping is the mark of a fish.

Usually the people who limp regularly don't know what hands are good, or don't have a strategy behind their plays. Which means they will make mistakes. The only reasons to limp are weak hands or weak minds. If you know what you're doing you can limp in and trap players when you score on the flop. But playing weak hands mostly leads to losses.

Why would you want to limp in anyways? It's a waste of money unless you have momentum, and know the table will fold to you.

Empress

Empress

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some times its a good strategy to limp, but if you limp constantly it's the equivalency of playing tight.

NinjaHands

NinjaHands

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some times its a good strategy to limp, but if you limp constantly it's the equivalency of playing tight.

Playing tight means you fold everything but premium hands (AA KK QQ AKs etc).

K

karlperron88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if its good enough to limp its good enough to raise has always been my motto

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello

When I use to limp with big starting hands all I would do is trap myself into a losing hand.

Jayplay916

Jayplay916

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to limp in with AK AQ AJ bepending on my spot
i agree with this post limping can actually help you if you catch a great flop i think that all the strategies that poker players talk about is in general you must always be flexible depending on how your competition is playing

deform fedot

deform fedot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not agree with the fact that it is bad to be a limiter.
Most players do not like the limpers because they are very hurt to lose through them. There are people who smear even from 66 against aces or kings, and I am so a witness to them often fairly good in these cases.

neiroob

neiroob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a multipole it is also useful to limp with suitable connections or small pairs.

B

babboonnexx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only limp or slow play if i have the nuts. otherwise i do not want to leave a bunch of hands on the table which could catch runners or trip up. thats happened way too much to me and its the most frustrating way to lose

B

babboonnexx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
limping can always allow someone else to improve your hand. Unless you have the nuts I wouldnt limp or slow play too much.

well_cap1302

well_cap1302

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends a lot on the opponents and their position on the table, there are times when you should be aggressive and in others play with care.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you limp you only have one way to win- you have to hit your hand(and you have to get paid). When you raise you can win the hand when the villans fold or when you hit your hand, and you look stronger by raising so your cbet is probably more likely to work. The other thing to consider is the higher up you play the more likely you are going to see players punish limpers or isolate them.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why is this incorrect?

In poker, there are a number of problems directly related to limping:

Calling the big blind, the player allows you to enter the bank several more players, creating a multipot, postflop in which it can be quite a difficult draw;
entering the bank limping, you should always expect a raise from the opponent in the best position;
when entering limps, it is difficult to read opponent's cards;
entering limped with a premium hand, you can not build up a bank;
after limping in, it's psychologically difficult post-flop to convincingly portray a strong combination in poker without getting into the flop.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What they said. lol
I do like to add that I will limp against an overly aggressive player when I am sure that he will raise me.
I do love it when someone limps when I have the BB, I have flopped some great hands that I would have thrown away at the first hint of a raise.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you limp you only have one way to win- you have to hit your hand(and you have to get paid). When you raise you can win the hand when the villans fold or when you hit your hand, and you look stronger by raising so your cbet is probably more likely to work. The other thing to consider is the higher up you play the more likely you are going to see players punish limpers or isolate them.

Love this response, I feel you said it best.

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really, very good this post, especially for Messrs. Limpers of life.

I'm particularly not a limp fan, it's a very amateur move.

Almost always I am raising (even with letters of type 45s in bad position as UTG) or fold. Limp does not please me at all.

One is because you're halfway through your game (or you have a monster hand and you're setting the trigger, or you do not have much and you're crazy to see the flop). Another is because it is also not possible to get a reading about the villain in that particular move, in the case of more limps ahead or even the BB check.

In short, I think limp is not worth it, in fact it is very rare sometimes that it is worth going limp, very rare indeed.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LIMP

I think playing Limp time is valid for example out of UTG + 2 position but you see when you have hand value and limps you can not find a hand Range idea of ​​his opponent and this makes the post game harder flop
:jd4:mateuspoker