Why is not good to be a limper?

chatocham

chatocham

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read a lot about poker and almost all the articles and books says that is no good to be a limper and like to play this way.
Why is this incorrect?

T

Tadpole70

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to limp in with AK AQ AJ bepending on my spot

HypnoT0AD

HypnoT0AD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on who your opponents are, but limping shows weakness and it's telegraphing that you don't have a strong hand.

Think if it this way, if you see an opponent limp in, what range/hand are you putting them on?

That said, limp isn't always bad, some players use it to trap but usually checking is better than limping for trapping.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
With limping you are also inviting other people to enter the pot with weaker hands.
They can easily catch their draw and beat you good hands, that you had preflop.
You want to get the out of the pot usually.

pimpbot5000sp3

pimpbot5000sp3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When books say "its not good to be a limper" they are assuming a lot. They are assuming that you want to play a tight aggressive strategy. They assume that you are not trying to trick anyone. They are also assuming your opponents are good, and they are aggressive. So in this "book case" you are first to act with A-10 and limp. You get two more limpers...then someone late puts in a big raise and the limpers all fold. In this case its not good to be a limper.

But if this happens often at your table, then you can limp first to act with A-A. A few limpers and a big raise late. Then you can put in a bigger re-raise to put the late raiser in for at least half his chips. Your looking to take down a nice pot with no flop, or go heads up for a huge pot with the best starting hand.

Sometimes limping is just the way the table goes. Everyone limps. If this is the case do NOT limp with A-A. You want to play A-A vs 1 person not 5 people.

And sometimes you have some chips to play with, and want to play loose. If the table is weak and people are limping why not. I would say in general, limping is not bad...its just seen as weak. Playing weak is OK, as long as you are doing it for a reason.

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By limping, you allow players with weaker hands to see the flop cheaply and give them the chance to outflop you and get ahead of you. If you have strong hands, you should raise to try and pick up the blinds. If weaker hands now play, you have the edge over them with your stronger hand and you've got a bigger pot to play for.

R

RicardoTolfo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depending... more times limp with AA is good. You are hiding the strength from his hand and surprise opponents

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You play what you want and what you feel is the best in particular situation. So not one strategy should be followed all the time.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a limper and it does come back to bite you. I need to be a more aggressive player.

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to limp with low pairs. Figure if I smack a set Im looking good. Otherwise I can cut my loses for a discount...

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Firstly, because with limping you cant win blinds and antes by making others fold. Raising gives you two ways to win the pot, either you have the best hand or you get folds. You cant get folds with limping.

Secondly, why to limp?

- If its because you have a hand that you like to see the flop but dont feel comfortable enough to bet on it. What does that tells to your opponent? That you have a weak hand. Its never good to telegraph the strenght of your hands in poker and playing your cards face up. You can be easily exploited once your opponent smell weakness in you, and understands that if you are not comfortable at least minimum betting your hand preflop, you are certainly not comfortable calling a shove or a big bet with your hand. And everyone understand that limping is a show of weakness.

- Based on limping=weakness, you may limp with a premium holding, or a really nice hand to trap others believing you have a weak hand. But thats not a good strategy. Because you allow more players into the pot, making your premium holding odds to win plummet and even if you manage to make it heads up on the flop, you cant build easily a big pot from a small preflop pot.

While I am pretty sure there are exceptions to this like limping with a marginal hand and flopping a monster, or limping with a premium when you fear that if you raise everyone will fold and there will be no action, (although thats a recipe for disaster, and for "bad beats" lost-aces-when-7 2-flopped trips). The thing with limping I believe is in the long run you are losing money, or at least not winning the most for the 3 reasons described above.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
1. You have just lost an opportunity to win the pot pre-flop with a raise. 2. You have just alerted players that you don't know what you are doing. 3...

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker the limp is a sign of weakness. It means, you have a hand with what you want to play, but it's not so good to raise it. Flop cheaply you want to watch, to strengthen your hand.
With this game you bring yourself difficult decisions,because you pass the initiative to your opponent.Poker is always the most aggressive winner,

A

aj43615

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the situation of limping i think...if you have 2 pairs and top 2 and its rainbow flop and no straight is starting i think is good time to limp....or other night i had 34 and flop came 33j...turn was 3....and river was j....guy 3 bet me after river and i went all-in he called...obviously assuming i was betting the board and maybe he had a J....same thing similar happened when i flopped a straight....i let them catch 2 pairs to go all-in...but i believe it is bad to limp just with 2 pairs...assuming your opponent can catch up with a straight or flush or trips...

A

aj43615

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
also...if i may add...its always nice to limp when you have the nuts...and you know you cant be beat...so your opponent WILL act aggressive thinking you have nothing...as i said with the qaud 3 situation....

L

Lightmeup9

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends.. i like to limp sometimes depending where im on the table and how aggressive the players are after me... always have to mix up your play so they cant get a read on you

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Limping pre-flop allows for more variance. Eliminate weaker hands and your results will improve.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to limp and raise with hands. If you only limp with speculative hands then you'll weaken your limping range. You have to play with balance and put you opponent in bad spots.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to limp with low pairs. Figure if I smack a set Im looking good. Otherwise I can cut my loses for a discount...

This is different though. If you are set mining, you don't mind a bunch of limpers to build a pot for you and if you miss, dump it cheap.

The question is more of an overall strategy. It is much easier to play against one opponent than it is 5 or 6. By raising and limiting the field, you not only are able to better predict situations but also open up your options on how to play against your opponents.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping and calling are passive moves and look weak.

hemlok

hemlok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
better to play poker with a hard one than a limper?

sorry.
couldn't resist

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see a problem with limping, other than you are giving away info about your hand. I mean, you're going to raise any premium hand so what else can you have? Suited connecters, an off suit broadway ...

L

Luckylu1980

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Limp hands

It's not good to be a limper because it's hard for you to put your opponent on certain hands

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think limping can be used a little bit not a lot. If you can get by with limping with a big pair only to re raise someone later it is a good thing.

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limp only if you know your opponents, otherwise is not a good way to win in poker.