Why in the world would you ever limp in?

W

WisdomMan87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is a lot of good reasons to limp
1. it good to mix up your game to keep them guessing
2. you have a small pocket pair and are looking to set mine with it but cant take the heat of a reraise of your hand, It keep your opponents wider so when you do flop a set there more people in hand sometimes that will hit there kj on k 4 5 vs your 44 pocket pair
3. to keep people who like to limp in with ace rags in the pot to stack them with better kicker
4.as part of balancing my range i will limp some very strong hands to say aa early position vs agro players late to mid position to give them the opertunity to raise because raiseing myself will shut down action from them
5.to build an certin image at the table to try to misslead them later

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Depends on the player.In a MTT an open limp[approx. 20bbs] most of the times implies a semi-strong hand with lot of potential post flop. Regulars do that move if they have observed that there are some really aggressive players after them to act and they can 3bet them pretty lightly, so in that case a flip scenario is the best outcome for that move.

If someone keeps open limps from early position yeap I believe we can give him the fish tag very easily! :p

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WisdomMan87 - I like your thinking. Thanks for that post.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
One of my favorite expressions is ' limpers seldom prosper ' .

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The idea of being a poker chameleon with limping. It worked for me this morning although it's going to take time.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I`ve noticed the only people who don`t like limping are the people who are being trapped by it or else why does it bother you? i have a strong post flop game so i say,Limp on! :D

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
limping to often allow players with marginal hands to see the board and then they often end up having made monster hands. I normally raise it up when im in to get out the players with the marginals hands

J

John Bor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will limp with a premium hand
but we must be careful

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I much prefer to open ATC (That are with-in normal boundaries to limping with ATC) but their are times when limping In Is a must.

For Instance, you have 4 options.

1) When you know the rest of the table will call your opens (As that table Is full of stations), In this case, opening=Bleeding chips. Even If you open 3.5x-4.5x with a hand such as AKs/AQs/AJs/KQs/A10s/AKo+AQo+AJo+A10o and 10s<. If you're getting like 3+ players to call you every-time, than you must also realize that AK type of hands, only flop about 29% of the time, thus you're missing almost 70% of the time. Now are you really still gonna open these types of hands all the time, knowing damn well you're actually still gonna get called?

I'm not saying that you should be limping with these hands either, but generally speaking (Being the lone wolf/opening all the time) when the table Isn't gonna fold regardless, Isn't the brightest move Is It?

2) Limping with small pairs-mid pairs to flop sets and/or being able to call raises, rather than raising and having to call a 3bet vs aggressive players, seems like a sound rule to live by.

3) Limping to trap the overly aggressive players with your "Top tier monster hands", I've done this move In the past, but this move only works under certain situations and Is not a move to do all the time.

4) Lastly by limping In (You're not winning the most and/or as much as you can), since the pot will always be tiny pre. Yet at the same time depending on villain tendencies, we're able to get the most when we smash the flop and lose the least when we miss the flop.

Again, I sure don't limp, I much prefer to 3bet/4bet and GII and/or open myself, but I do switch It up depending on the type of table I'm actually at

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I ordinarily limp with mid range hands in late position.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to limp in when I have a really good hand: trips, flush, straight, etc

You can't limp In with "Trips/Flush's and/or straights" Pre-Flop can you;)

R

rushdaman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you have to mix it up against opponents or they will get a read on you fairly quickly so yes limiping even with a monster hand can be very beneficial in the long run. You cant just play like a robot mix it up.

B

BukuDuckets

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know if it's a tell tale sign of a monster. I find myself playing in a robotic routine. One time I was at Borgata in Atlantic City playing $5/ $10 and I was talking to the waitress or something and didn't notice the action was on me UTG, so I just limped without looking at my cards, then looked to find I had aces. of course everyone was playing like maniacs 3 betting and 4 betting, so when it finally came back around to me, I 6-bet and everyone folded. That was the first time I ever limped in and ever since from time to time I do it. Strategically though, I find it's best to min raise if you think there is a chance no one will bet after you because the big blind can have anything and you open yourself up to all types of nonsense after the flop. It's always the hand that everyone and their mother would fold in the big blind to a min raise that ends up cracking aces. Another reason to limp, in my opinion, is if you have a hand like 910 suited or 56 suited, or maybe even QJ. In all honesty, I think with hands like that you want as many people as possible in the pot to get as much value for your hand as possible, as most people will stay in line betting, so long as no one has something monstrous and you will be able to squeeze out the straight draw or flush draw. With a hand like Aces, or Kings, you really just want to be fighting over one big pot with one or two other players (less is best). Just my thoughts on it.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I enjoy limping in lets me see more flops and saves my chips if my premium hand does not hit. All depends on the table though and my chipstack. Many times this strategy has kept me in the game longer, other times it backfires.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I limping if someone has gone limp in the pot. . But only if my stack is more than 25 blinds.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Isn't the term "Limp" a pre-flop thing only?

I'm confuse here.

Might be this player plays PLO, and limps with 333 or 4 card flush's? Shoot might as well be limping with Quads:eek::p

MKaizer07

MKaizer07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually like to limp in when I have a very strong hand against a very aggressive player. that way they don't know I have a hand that can possibly beat them. I also like to limp in during early position and let people raise me to disguise my hand.

B

BetterNot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to stick some variation in my hands so i dont get too predictable. I dont like it tho when the BB can just check pre-flop since then he can be holding anything

Vlad symrak

Vlad symrak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is very risky game and one mathematics is not enough!Luck is on par with the theory of probability breaks the game even for professionals!;)

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I limp from the SB or BB with other limpers in the pot because I'm getting good odds to call a hand I would otherwise fold.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I`ve noticed the only people who don`t like limping are the people who are being trapped by it or else why does it bother you? i have a strong post flop game so i say,Limp on! :D
I like you more and more