Why in the world would you ever limp in?

leshausa03

leshausa03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always play aggressive poker. So much fun

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
are we talking about open limp or limp behind? If the question is when to open limp i'd say its in one and only in one case in poker, and that is NEVER. Seriously guys, open limp is probably the worse habit that player can incorporate in his game, it can generate so many troubles in a hand both preflop and postflop, whether youre having a premium or questionable hand youre either losing value of your premium cuz youre missed one good round of betting, pot is smaller on later streets, harder to get all the money in if you hit the nuts, not to mention that thinking player would instantly have you on a polarised range of either uber premium or utter crap, when i see a limper i tag him as a fish instantly, i take a note of what he is doing when he is isolated how often he limp raise how often he limp fold (i also added stat to my hud with it) so whatever trick that player thinks that he can do with limping is either of a short life or dedicated to be pulled at 2nl and do we want to stay at 2nl for life or want to move up stakes, if second, please delete limp from your vocabulary, its for your own good...

Yep pretty much my thoughts so far, but what is your view on limping behind? I tend to do that sometimes, especially in limp heavy tourneys like open skill league etc.

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont do that either, the only difference between open limp and limp behind is that i dont insta mark someone as a fish when he limps behind, i insta mark as fish anyone i see at my tables, it is the fastest way to recognize a fish and usually pretty accurate.

I can probably understand some isolated scenario where i would be sure that players that act after me wont isolate and i have like 56s, 45s, i dont know but even in that case there's need to be more limpers in front and even than i dont see it as a good idea

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I go limp with small pairs and suited connectors from late position - if the table is still deep stacks and a table generally passive.
Another situation, where I'm playing at a table with a few aggressive players. In this situation it is good to apply the "limp-raise." Make limping with a strong hand in the hope, that one of the aggressors will raise after me. Moreover, my limp can cause other players in the same action. Once the course has passed to me, I reraise, which will allow me to pick up the pot either immediately or already on the flop.

Jancianna

Jancianna

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it feels that people limp in simply because folding 90% of your hands gets kinda boring and I think everyone hopes they will hit the nuts on the flop with whatever.

I often times feel like limping in like all the other guys around me but I know that is probably not a very good idea.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we face a player who raises all hands or most with any kind of hands sometimes make Call is not so bad as it raises the size of the boat and with a very strong hand we can take advantage of this

J

Jeffrey Uitbeijerse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never open-limp because that is just a bad play in every scenario. I very rarely limp behind. There have to be at least 2-3 other players in the pot and I have small pocket pairs or suited connecters. The post flop play is really straight forward, you either don't connect and get out of there, or hit good and take down the pot!

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I will limp if my stack is 2bb and I have AA KK and I want many to call , I will limp early position with a small pair early in a tournament to see the action that follows and see if I will see the flop or not . Sometimes to see very cheap some suited connectors when some others have also limped or when I also want to see the action that will follow .I read what Draza said . So I am a fish :D . I knew it :eek:

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to avoid using words like always and never. You'll be surprised how often you find yourself doing those things that you "never" do, or not doing the things that you "always" do.

Generally speaking though, I am more likely to raise or fold than to limp. However, there are some circumstances under which I might limp. For instance, I might limp in with a small pair in the hopes of flopping a set. Or I might consider limping in with a hand that I might normally raise with in a spot where multiple players have limped in front of me and I don't feel a standard raise would be effective at getting the limpers out, but my hand may not be strong enough to make the kind of raise that might clear out the majority of the limpers. I would probably be more likely to just fold, but I might consider limping.

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to limp in when I have a really good hand: trips, flush, straight, etc

rohankamble9

rohankamble9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
limping in early position with very strong hand like AA,KK can be profitable only if your post flop game is strong. It also reduces the value of your hand.. Hence dont ever limp even with a strong hand.

F

fernandoprrt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I very rarely limp. I limp behind sometimes.

R

rehanov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it has its place like everything in poker.

If you end up with a bunch of passive players that all want to limp, I will limp with hands that usually get folded to a raise... ie. Suited A-rag, 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77 and so on. I would only limp with hands that if I hit can turn into monsters like a set or nut flush, just about everything else goes in the muck. Limping too much is obviously a hole and often can lead to winning small pots and losing big ones.

totally agree

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You limp in because you have a monster and aggro player to your left that you are going to stack once they raise your limp.

jimmy andres

jimmy andres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello if I am a limp, but only at the beginning of the tournament since stealing a blind of 50 chips is not worth it would be an unnecessary risk, I better keep my chips for the highest levels of the blinds, clear that if I get a good hand At first try to exploit to the maximum the players who are aggressive and those who are playing sports.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments I raise more often then limp. If I limp I just want to look at the flop. Cash game I just limp cause it's all about the jackpot.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to limp and see a cheap flop with certain hands especially small pairs. If you flop a set you can get busy and win a huge pot. If not it is easy to throw your pair away when faced with raises after the flop.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate to limp preflop with AA or KK because anyone stays with 2 9 off will beat you. If it is post flop and I catch the nuts I will then limp to try and trap my opponent if they happen to catch a little piece of the hand.:D:D

Jhon Lozano

Jhon Lozano

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are splendid hands for each position of the table, the aggressiveness depending on your position and the number of people; In my opinion always try to be close to the button to study the possible letters of the villains.

O

OgnianMikov

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have added a statistic in my Hold em manager that shows me Total Open Limp percentage. During play I check this and pay attention and if I see someone limps and his stat open-limp is 0/50 for example, it's obvious he has a monster, especially if he is limping from early position. Really useful little stat :)

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping in can be a very profitable move especially when you are playing in a game like a freeroll, I limped in a tournament preflop with KK, I got raised to 4 BB by the guy after me, to which I obviously called.

The flop cam K, Q, 3 rainbow. I checked it and the guy shoved over top after I checked to which I insta-called and had him destroyed.

It was a nice double-up late in the tourney, ended up getting like 9th place.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I limp in end position when I have a drawing hand. Maybe not the best plan, but I just gotta see if I can hit on the cheap.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limp,,Call,Call,,,,,,,All-in,,,,lol,,,,drives em crazy:deal:

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I have the nuts or close to it and others are betting around me I let the pot build. On the river I check raise and sometimes get paid because there's so much money in the pot it's hard for my opponents to get out.