why do people bother going all in with low pocket pair?

P

poslannik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Because usually some1 who calls have a better pair or AK and there is always one of them on flop :D

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm not the one that came into a general thread and called anyone out, so I'm pretty sure I have the right to defend myself. You can put me in the corner if you want, but I'm like Houdini so I won't be there for long.

-HooDooKoo

Don't put baby in the corner =)

K

kmichaels

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would play it that way only if i had a short stack like less than 10bb or if i´m playing a super turbo mtt/SnG. But if you feel unstoppable and a poker god it´s a legitimate way to play it but i am sure it will cost tons of chips to the poker fella.

Dalsue214

Dalsue214

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I think shoving small PP is more of a tournament move then a cash game, also it's a short stacked tournament move.

If you start shoving small PP with a big stack or in a cash game I think it becomes more of a -EV play

I agree with this a little bit.

More of a tournament-style play due to position, etc.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems like crappy pocket pair basically gives you around 50% pot equity, IF it's head's up. So, why do people bother going all in with pocket pair? If one person calls, and it's H2H, you're getting even odds on your money with 50% odds of winning. That's break even, so why the hell do you bother? It seems like the pot is NEVER in your favor with shitty pocket pair. 50% ...60% at best.

It seems like you'd only go all in when you have like 75% pot equity, and then you're getting 50/50 even money on your bet. But, at 50/50 with crappy pocket pair, why bother?
If you take down the pot 50% without a flop and win 50% of the time you're called this play has a 75% winrate. Problem is, if you do this alot you'll get called alot and often enough you'll be an 80/20 dog to an overpair.

P

PrecisionBets14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel that the player making the decision to shove with the small PP (Im assuming this is an educated and veteran poker player) is making this move based on a lot of other factors...not just the fact that he has a PP. If he has shoved with a small PP then he has probably taken into consideration and is factoring in these things...1) his position 2.) his stack size 3.) remaining opponents to act stack sizes 4.) depth in the tourney (how long does he have to last til the bubble burst)...I think if the player is considering these factors and has shown a solid game in the tourney up unitl this point that this can be a very profitable move a vast majority of the time.

Salvete777

Salvete777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I right to go all in with low pair, in tournaments or SnG (heads up), when you have very small stack or you have highest stack (play vs low).

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
u can always hit a set lol

Can I get that in writing? :)

I will stop shoving low pp when it stops working. Sometimes I lose flips, but I'd rather go out swinging than calling with the intent to fold to a shove, or calling a shove.

a true nit

a true nit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2s-10s all basically have the same odds against ur standard 2overs hands..AJ-AK or KQ..so im not really sure what ur point is about so called small pairs

C

cpgd176

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well in tourneys sometimes you have no choice but to shove theses small pp. For example, when you are short stacked and blinds are coming around to you, shoving 44 in utg or utg+1 can be very profitable as it seems very strong. Some players realize this while others are just thinking, "all i've been getting is 9 high for the last two orbits, time to go with it". Regardless in tourneys is extremely standard to see all ins with spp late. As for cash games, there really isnt much need to shove theses unless you are extremely short stacked. Should just set mine and hope to get paid off

redcross

redcross

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You actually have better odds than 50/50 vs AK, it's the positive side of a coin flip. Vegas is built on "better than 50% odds". Most the time you steal the blinds anyways. If you do get called most the time you are already ahead. It just sucks when you run into the over pair then you are sitting dead in the water from the get go.
The only time I think it is a donk play is when the blinds are really low.

W

waikato08

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I can see where you are coming from, and why you'd bring it up about low pocket pairs. I have seen this, expereinced this, and it doesn't feel great when you hold a high pocket pair, or a premium hand, and you get stung by the likes of 44, 33 or even 22.
But it is simple, people play these hands now BECAUSE of how dangerous they are becoming. people have cottoned on to playing low pocket pairs like 22, because they ARE dangerous, and such an underrated hand now that it can be the most dominant hand at times. As the saying goes; pocket twos never loose. And yes, I have been on the stinging end of 22, many times.

J

Jeschant

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd rather setmine, but if I have someone in front of me raising every hand I limp into and the blinds are high enough to be worth stealing, I'll open shove with a small pp. Or early in a freeroll if I just want to double up or bust out early.

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can see where you are coming from, and why you'd bring it up about low pocket pairs. I have seen this, expereinced this, and it doesn't feel great when you hold a high pocket pair, or a premium hand, and you get stung by the likes of 44, 33 or even 22.
But it is simple, people play these hands now BECAUSE of how dangerous they are becoming. people have cottoned on to playing low pocket pairs like 22, because they ARE dangerous, and such an underrated hand now that it can be the most dominant hand at times. As the saying goes; pocket twos never loose. And yes, I have been on the stinging end of 22, many times.

Are you saying pocket pair is dangerous b/c they can become a set?
On their own low pocket pair is junk, and is often beat by a higher pair by the river. I think the main advantage of shoving low pocket pair is the fold equity + the 50% pot equity if it goes to head's up.

Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see this move a lot in freerolls and it is rather surprising how often they win without improving. There is also a trend developing in these games to do the same with A,rag.

What amuses me, more than anything, is that these players frequently run the clock and shove on the last second. I am not sure if they are trying to represent deep thought processes (joke) or think that this 'sudden' move will surprise you into folding. :D

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Question arent I sapposed to win 60%of the time a pm would be helpful becayse im not shovibg but raising big

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

S

smidjet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its olp if they lose then just go to lobby and get in another

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Avoided some losses by folding all of my low pocket pairs last night. In a large table, you will pretty much be beat by someone.

trolaAa

trolaAa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because everyone knows that the next freeroll is not later than 1 hour.
If they were real money they will think about all in with 55 or 33 :)

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it´s a kind of semibluff here, because one tries to fold everybody else with the movement and take the chips for blinds and limpers, if somebody calls then has a coin flip, but in late postions work pretty good, and sometimes when one is shortstack and needs chips in despair is a good way to make a shot, something like double or nothing

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not 50/50. A small pocket pair is ahead of AK. Depending on the spot, it can be a very good --- and profitable --- play.

-HooDooKoo

I agree. If I can get the villain HU it's prolly gonna be a push (in a tournament.) Sometimes it's a way to clear a cuppla nits between you and a LAG villain.

-

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some people think 22 is the nuts preflop.

When I say "some people," it refers to losing players and lucky winners who will soon be losing players.

Play them passively most of the time and dial up the aggression only in certain spots against weak villains.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've been busted out of several tournaments already by people limping low pairs in EP with <20BB, then calling when I shove an Ace from MP or LP.

Should I just forget shoving two overcards and only shove TT+ when there are limpers in EP? I don't understand the thought process behind picking up 44-22 and limping in with a short stack in EP, then calling a shove for most or all of your stack. If you're going to call a shove then why not just shove yourself?

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You got the point PG, but you need to remember one thing, dont try to find the logic in donk moves, if they were logical they wouldn't be called donk...