why do people bother going all in with low pocket pair?

Q

Quasimodo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've tried placing 2nd heads-up preferring the cash to my account that neared the price of the ticket which the sat was tourney for and failed. A small pair is a bigger tool than bluffing is, and if you're head up, you can't say you're beyond bluffing.

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not 50/50. A small pocket pair is ahead of AK. Depending on the spot, it can be a very good --- and profitable --- play.

-HooDooKoo

Sure it is.
It's 52/47.
Pretty much a coin toss.

Notice how people don't shove with 10 Q, which is also a toss up when H2H.

Totally idiotic to shove with small pairs, unless you're looking to go home in a few mins.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure it is.
It's 52/47.
Pretty much a coin toss.

Notice how people don't shove with 10 Q, which is also a toss up when H2H.

Totally idiotic to shove with small pairs, unless you're looking to go home in a few mins.

Blanket statements like this are unhelpful and factually incorrect.

It's not at all incorrect -- let alone "idiotic" -- to shove either small PP's or QT in the right situation. Also not sure what to make of your QT comment in general. QT against a small PP actually has more equity than AK.

T

terryg642

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
low pocket pairs

I agree not enough situational information,but I'm mostly a tourney player if I'm
in the small blind and get ten to 20 bb I'M shoving with any pocket pair against the big blind when it's folded to me.Most people will fold and less they have a premium hand I'd rather make the decisions than have the blinds make them for me.

princippitoo

princippitoo

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sametime is the posibility of returnt to the game , another s its only a feeling and others is becouse you believe in your pair

developer716

developer716

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to go all in on a few occasions,I would personally went all in when the big blind in the size of my Bank, and be unto me Yes I would bet !!!

well, if it's the middle of a tournament, and with a small pair to go all in I don't understand this game !

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As others have said, it depends on variables which you don't indicated in the OP. Stack sizes, action before you, player images, bubble scenarios, position (who is left to act), etc can all factor into a decision to shove a small PP. In some cases it might be a fistpump snap shove, in others a clear fold.

The point being, in poker there are few situations in which "always" or "never" will apply.

^ this

radman

radman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow read everyones post and can't think of anything I could add., Walked away with some insight. But, it seems like the general thought process is that SPP have value. Just how much value is the question. And that depends on what set of varibles (as mentioned above) apply to you at that point in the game.
I myself like SPP esp against someone who is loose/agress

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of times a pocket pair shove is not something you want other players to call. As a blind steal, low pocket pairs can be ok to shove with. And if you do happen to get called chances are, your opponents are on a draw so they actually have to connect on the flop, turn, or river to have a chance against you.

When i do shove with a small pocket pair, I am either shortstacked or am applying an aggressive blind-steal strategy with a more than average stack size. Small pocket pairs simply become another tool in your BULLYING arsenal when you are deep stacked. And when villains decide to call your bluff every once in a while, you are not completely vulnerable: at least you have something!