T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Unfortunately the river can be brutal. But more often than not the best hand on the flop or on the turn is going to be the best hand on the river too :) But losses can happen in poker as one card can change everything. Most people tend to keep bad beats longer in mind than successful hands. Just be cautious when a dangerous card hits the river :)

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most likely, you are not working on your game in specialized analysis programs. Holdem Manager or Hand2Note or Poker Tracker. Try to work in them and you will learn a lot of interesting things.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cause the river hurts the most they like to see us in pain!

No but really it just happens, we always remember when we lose on the river and never win on the river, just part of the game

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All these questions at times are our inability to embrace the variance inherent in the game. I agree, Rivers at times are brutal for our range and its difficult to cope with them.

Couple of days I lost a 250BB pot to a fish. I had AJ UTG, he called me with A6o on the button and hit 2 pair on A 9 6 rainbow flop. He raised my flop c-bet and I failed to make a disciplined lay down. Turn was a J which gave me 2 pair and he went allin. I called and he hit a 6 on the river (2/44 probability) and I lost a 250BB pot.

At times I lose interest in the game when this happens, but I think 5% probability doesn't mean that it will never ever happen. So better deal with it.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You dont "always" lose on the river, but as others have said, it can feel worse, when you do. Tournament players are all very familiar with the situation, where we got TT all-in preflop against a hand like AK. The flop comes 3 low cards making us a 3:1 favourite to win the hand. Turn is another low card increasing our hope further. Now we just need to dodge that one last bullet, but BOOM the river brings the ace from space, and we are out of the tournament just before the final table. Somehow this feels worse than, when the ace came on the flop, or when we ran our TT into KK and were behind the whole time.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Couple of days I lost a 250BB pot to a fish. I had AJ UTG, he called me with A6o on the button and hit 2 pair on A 9 6 rainbow flop. He raised my flop c-bet and I failed to make a disciplined lay down. Turn was a J which gave me 2 pair and he went allin. I called and he hit a 6 on the river (2/44 probability) and I lost a 250BB pot.

Ouch I bet that one hurt. Remind me of a hand, I played at 16NL on pokerstars, when I was a cash game grinder. Fish limps the button, SB complete, and I raise it up from BB with A7s. Fish now min 3-bet, SB call and getting absurdly good pot odds I am like "ok whatever I call and see a flop as well". Flop came a wonderfull 77J rainbow essentially giving me the second nuts, since I dont think, J7 is ever played this way. I check to the fish, he bet, SB gets out of the way, I check-raise, and he now jam. I quickly call, and much to my joy he flip over AA. I have him drawing to one out, but of course it comes on the river sending a 35$ pot his way :D

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Poker is a game of probabilities and if there is at least 1% of the fact that the right out will fall on the river, be prepared to get this out. And no need to say that there are algorithms or the RNG is tweaked, it just happened. After all, out of 99 hands on the river you will be ahead and the most offensive 100 times when you really need the river will fall out not what you need. And you will remember this river for a long time, put up with it and then you will understand that there is no need to worry about this.

M

manIk5

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It happens to me too , but I dont look at it that way . I try to concentrate and play good poker . Sometimes you win , sometimes you lose ....
But I honestly sometimes I feel the same , but only on online poker . Happened me alot of times while playing , and I'm not playing for long . Keep your head up , learn from your mistakes , and move on .

GL m8

davidkimtai89

davidkimtai89

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I all in with A K , Floping K - 6 -Q , hand of opponent player is J 6 and he called ; he won with J 666 ,