Why do I always lose on the river?

POKER_CHAMPION

POKER_CHAMPION

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Doesn't it happen to you that you always have the best hand on the flop and on the turn, but on the river you end up losing the hand?
It happens to me almost always and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.:confused:

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
If you play freerolls, it is general. But play and learn more, and you will see, even the river can be a good thing. ;)

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Doesn't it happen to you that you always have the best hand on the flop and on the turn, but on the river you end up losing the hand?
This is probably the most "tilty" part of poker. I can't stand it and I don't know of any player that can.
The best way to try and avoid this is to make sure you're playing a limit that you can read players or play against better players. Also when you flop a set or straight don't slow-play them. Go ahead and make a nice 2/3 to pot-sized bet to get them to either lay it down or shove. If they shove then you have to calculate possible outs for flushes and bigger straights. If set over set occurs then it was just a cooler situation and that's not what this thread is about, lol. If a dry-flop presents itself then a slow-roll might be appropriate, other than that I wouldn't chance it.
I hope this helps you some. GL.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's because of the algorithms(not because online poker is rigged)!!! These online sites use algorithms not random card generators so they are set for this to happen to encourage play is the explanation I always got but I must say in my opinion that simply means they are sort of rigged with a weak excuse!:D:D

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes you are going to win with the river card and sometimes you are going to lose with the river card it poker but if you have the best hand at the flop or turn don't let player see the turn or the river for free.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I feel your pain my friend.

I go through the same.
You gotta study those hands.

Review and evaluate the decisions process: Position, Villain Stats, Pot Size, equity and therefore.

If you can, do hand analysis at CC and get some pointers.
Cash: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-game-hand-analysis-50/
Torney: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/tournament-hand-analysis-51/

Use Equilab (free) or Flopzilla to do some hand reading study.

Study, don't stop studying.
There's so much material out there.

Mental game.
To me mental is the main thing and is neglected by many.
You need to be cool at the felt so you can make the best decisions.

A really important thing is to practice.
Only with practice you get to apply and learn new things like, you're not getting a lot of pots at showdown.

Giving those tips as someone that is going through same and wants to exchange.

MMaki1981

MMaki1981

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seriously, this is the story of my life!!!!!

It seems I'll hit a good hand on the flop and so I'll push or raise big and some fool with no hand will call and luck out on the river. Just last week, that was how I lost out on almost every tourney I played. Finally I just walked away and chalked it up to 'not my day':(

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you don't always lose on the river, but you likely remember the times you lose on the river more often than you do when you were behind on the flop or the turn.

my theory is that losing on the river is more impactful for a lot of players, most likely because it ends all hope of improving on a later street since the hand is over. when you're behind on the flop or on the turn, you still (in most situations) have some equity left to make a winning hand in the end. that doesn't happen on the river.

there is also a possible situation of players, who are ahead, not taking into account how their/their opponent's equity hand changes as more cards come out. yes, you might have the best hand on the flop and on turn, but if the turn gives your opponent more equity, then the odds of them improving on the river increases. and, therefore, you losing on the river will happen a lot more often than you originally expected.

so, all of this has to be taken into consideration but, the main thing to remember is: just because you're losing when you're (way) ahead doesn't mean you're doing any wrong. it's just how things worked out for you. poker is a game of decisions and not results. results are secondary because you don't make profits off of results, you make profits off making proper decisions. results will come naturally if you get your hand in ahead more often than not.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe you do nothing wrong, but unlcuky. ;)

But when u are not playing on fair poker table, u should leave soon.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't it be that always? Sometimes I'll lose too. It happens, often, I will lose on the river. There is a saying in poker, the river decides everything.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Because you got chance to lose... If you reach the river with 100% chance of winning I ganrantee you will not lose the river

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The downside is that we only see the times we lose, but if we also count the times we win on the river, the percentage would be very similar.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No comment, just interested in what others have to say about this.

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Maybe you must be under betting on Flop or maybe the villains are doing more gut shots than often!

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
We all encounter this sometimes. We just have to decide whether we enjoy this enough to keep letting it happen, or not play.

Me personally, I try to deal with it by just playing 3 times as many games as the soul next to me. I average a score about once every four games. If I get my four games in one day, I will pull out a winner. So the sooner I play four games, I know I will win some money. If , however, I take a month or two to get in four games, or a year, then I will just be allowing myself to be frustrated for a long time, due to nobody else's fault but my own.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You haven’t felt all the charm of variance, when with absolutely correct play you can play negative for several months. Poker, especially at micro-stakes, is almost a lottery.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

In freerolls get all the chips in the middle! They pay to draw! Your losing anyways! So do something different and see if it works for you!

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The river is where you have to show the best hand to win. If you can't do that, you should never let it get that far by making opponent fold or folding yourself. You are probably playing too many hands. Tighten up ur opening requirements. There are gonna be so many suck outs so expect them and let's deal the next hand. Make an extra effort not to get involved in a hand unless you have position.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be competitive on the river, you need to be a master of thinking about the situation.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Just part of the game, things run in streaks but seldom last very long. The term lasting long is relative to the number of hands one plays per hour, per day, per week and per month.

C

CourtJester

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"I'd be a rich man if not for the River."

Like others have said - the River can help you or hurt you.

If you find the River frequently hurting you, then you are possibly not betting at pots aggressively enough. If you give people free cards they are going to take it.

If you find the River never helping you, you probably fold a lot prior to seeing it, or you are playing hands too long that have too little outs.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you lose to much on the river either your hands are not strong enough or you are going to the river too often. To fix this you can tighten your range and if you are betting too small increase your bet size.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
I have the same problem on the river. The best option is to push the opponent with the best cards on the flop so that the opponent does not see the river.:)

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with you. Have the same problem. When i have flop on the best hand and pot is increasing, almost always river ig going to complicate my game and i loose. This makes me nervous a lot of times and i'm starting wondering why? why? why?

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some great advices to put down onto the "strategy book".

Thanks for sharing guys.