Why can't you win at poker?

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most players are lazy. They do not want to improve. Me too:)

If you are honestly lazy and you do not want to work hard at becoming good at poker -- then just have fun playing and don't play beyond your means. If you want to play seriously and try to make money you CANNOT be lazy. Its just the reality of the situation.

my problem is the same as any non-winning player. I don't have luck: P

No offense meant here by any means, if you are to read many of my posts I tend to be direct and not sugar coat things so take this for what it is and with a grain of salt if you will. Players who say this are generally those who have no clue what they are talking about. Bad luck is not excuse for being a consistent loser - that means you are doing something wrong and to be fair, it could be maaaaaany different things. Why isn't there any truth to the statement of "i dont win because im not lucky"? Because there are professional poker players...do you honestly think the best players in the game today are the luckiest people walking the planet and they magically decided they could win substantial money playing a card game for a living? Its just foolish to believe poker is all luck. Poker is a game of mathematical probability and decision making. If you make the correct decisions and get your money in as good as possible over and over and over and put in substantial volume - you CAN win at poker. The issue is the game is not easy and to do so you cannot be lazy and you have to work hard on your game constantly!

I work full time and play roughly 160-200 MTTs per month - I cashed for a little more than $16k over the course of a year playing an average of $7 buy ins. Best year I've ever had - but I put in the work constantly and study at LEAST 3 nights a week.

Now don't get me wrong - I don't post this to bash anyone, to single folks out or to brag and gloat -- i just want to share my insight and experience as a source of inspiration to all of you! I'm not the smartest guy alive, I just work harder than most. If I can win at this game, any of you can do the same :)

Thanks for reading, I hope this helps some of you!

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am very skeptical of some online poker websites not being legit and I find online poker much harder than live.

I meant to quote this as well - online IS harder than live poker - know why? Because of all the free/paid content for players to improve their game - you encounter MANY more skilled players online than you do live - even in the lowest of micros. Not to mention you get to see maaaaany more hands - especially if you multi table - and so you get to see much more of variance than you would playing live. As far as the online sjtes being legit or not, i firmly believe most are fine. All of your biggest sites like ACR, ignition, pokerstars, wsop, Betonline and Global im confident enough to say are not rigged in any way. They are getting paid (rake) essentially for just providing you a place to play - they could care less who wins and who loses - as long as they collect their portion why would they care if you win or lose? Engaging in practices that would chase away their daily traffic is just hemorrhaging free money - in my personal opinion thinking anything different is just ignorant. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't leave my life savings on any of the unregulated sites out there, because the reality is they can shut down tomorrow and they don't HAVE to give you a cent of your money BUT, again, as long as they are printing money daily just for dealing cards, pretty unlikely they are going to cut off that kind of cash flow for no reason.

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
when I'm playing for more than three I start to lose focus and patience and that makes me not read correctly and make wrong moves!

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
No offense meant here by any means, if you are to read many of my posts I tend to be direct and not sugar coat things so take this for what it is and with a grain of salt if you will. Players who say this are generally those who have no clue what they are talking about. Bad luck is not excuse for being a consistent loser - that means you are doing something wrong and to be fair, it could be maaaaaany different things. Why isn't there any truth to the statement of "i dont win because im not lucky"? Because there are professional poker players...do you honestly think the best players in the game today are the luckiest people walking the planet and they magically decided they could win substantial money playing a card game for a living? Its just foolish to believe poker is all luck. Poker is a game of mathematical probability and decision making. If you make the correct decisions and get your money in as good as possible over and over and over and put in substantial volume - you CAN win at poker. The issue is the game is not easy and to do so you cannot be lazy and you have to work hard on your game constantly!

I work full time and play roughly 160-200 MTTs per month - I cashed for a little more than $16k over the course of a year playing an average of $7 buy ins. Best year I've ever had - but I put in the work constantly and study at LEAST 3 nights a week.

Now don't get me wrong - I don't post this to bash anyone, to single folks out or to brag and gloat -- i just want to share my insight and experience as a source of inspiration to all of you! I'm not the smartest guy alive, I just work harder than most. If I can win at this game, any of you can do the same :)

Thanks for reading, I hope this helps some of you!

This is absolutely spot on. So many losing players blame it all on luck and don't seem to even entertain the possibility that they are just not very good at poker and aren't willing to study to get better.

Personally, I have been a break even player for years. I was always the best in my group of friends so when I played online and could never increase my bankroll by more than just a few buy-ins I would blame luck and sites being rigged, etc. etc., but since lockdown I have studied more and learned so much and become a more fundamentally sound player, my results have improved significantly.

Luck of course plays a part in the short term, but luck in poker is like paying taxes; you can't avoid it, but it's not going to take everything. If you choose to give the rest away to charity, that's on you.

A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there are times when I find myself very conservative, and I have a hard time really growing my stack so that I reach a final table.

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mostly because I don't apply myself correctly.

Daddysprincess99

Daddysprincess99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get strung along by luck. It's not even about the money but the thrill of a sweet win gets me to follow along when I really shouldn't. <3

H

Hebens

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because sometimes i don't have enough patience.

L

Laynester

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure patience is INVOLVED. The issue all online poker players face is the almighty "RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR" algorithm. What is TRUE RANDOM? = can that really be answered? To letters end that question: NO. Thank you for your time.....

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The factors are many because one always has to wait for adequate preparation, what one always wants is to seek to study and practice but even so when we study, it is not always practiced, so we have to improve the techniques of each one at all times.

U

upizgany

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally for me, because I am not a pro player and I play poker for 2 years, the most frustrating is the river na stars, not to mention when you play a 3-4h tournament and e.g. you are eliminated one place before ITM with a "Supposedly stronger hand," and no matter whether preflop or on the turn.

Often at the beginning of the first 4-5 hands of cards I am top5 and with each passing hour I move away in the best position. I don't know if I have to start practicing some meditation or, like van Damme in bloody sport, to train endurance hmm? :D

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I fell like once I get really unlucky with a hand I tend to play more agrressively than I should and this leads to more loses and more tilts.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
My problem is that I play a lot of moments when you just need to fold.

NickeLine22

NickeLine22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because PS does not allow you to win. Every time the opponent gets the right card...

All-in on the turn... 2 outs

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-12-03-18-39-31.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-12-03-18-39-31.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 30
gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
The problem in my poker failures is bluffing and risk.When I pull myself together and play carefully, then I’m just unlucky.Poker is such a thing where there are many factors.One wrong move and all your efforts end in a waste of money and time.
beautiful, just exactly as said:icon_sant

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have trouble losing at poker most times is because I lose patience after playing for a long period of time. Another reason for losing could be some of the crazy calls or pushes I do but I think mostly it's because of the lack of patience...lol

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally win from time to time but i always struggle with bankroll management.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
One reason for a constant losing streak is the simple fact that we are creatures of habit, Some people have a favorite starting hand and it could be anything from 7/2 up to Pocket Aces.
But what you need to do is get away from favorites and begin to realise that any 2 cards can win, You need to play the situation not the cards,
If someone pushes All-in with only 3 BB and you are sat there with 30 BB then in that situation you should be calling with practically any 2 cards.
Likewise if you are on the short stack you need to push with a wider range of hands hoping the Poker Gods are on your side and trust to luck.
You also have to remember that what does not work on one table does not mean it won't work on another, You may have Pocket 9s crushed by a 6/4 off because they hit a straight or flush. yet on another table your Pocket 9s pick up a 3rd and make trips over a pair of Kings. But being creatures of habit it is natural to think "Oh my Pocket 9s got crushed in the last game by a 6/4 off, maybe I shouldn't play them here!"
That's Poker.
If you are having a bad streak at the tables, you need to Stop playing, Take a break and come back fresh and fighting fit on another day.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

P

Pokersavvy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's the way it goes. I have my good days. I just take it easy when not doing so good. Try and try again is all you can do. Hope for the best. :) Good Luck!

kara260588

kara260588

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm lazy. I can't start learning poker properly. I can read several pages of a book and quit reading for several months. I'm too lazy to follow what is happening at the table. More often than not, I don't think about the game. The head is full of the problems of the past day and plans for solving the problems that await tomorrow.

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't win because I also can't help but wait I don't have this patience I get very nervous

MoCoSolo

MoCoSolo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes hard to find the proper limits for certain bankrolls. People that try to do challenges with $50, lot of poker sites might not even have 1/2 cent tables and you're pretty short stacked to play 5/10 cent games playing no limit as the swings vary so much.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't win at poker because I make ill advised decisions.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you put in the time to study the game and your game and your hands you will eventually become a player that has the opportunity to win. Some study and catch on quickly while others take more time, doesn't matter just put in the proper time.