When to shove pre-flop (Day 13 Course Discussion)

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am tired of hearing about the long run. We don't have unlimited buyins. There are so many things wrong with the way poker is taught I don't know where to begin. Follow this course at your own peril. I have.

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Power poker, a concept that is also very important, like all the others in this course, I don't know in any post I said that, but I will repeat it and it won't be just this time not in. Congratulations to Collin and Katie. All the classes I've attended so far have been very well recorded, all very well explained, really a content that can be marketed, my deep thanks to the entire Cardschat team as well, you have been doing a wonderful job with this forum, over 15 years of history already, thousands of players from all over the globe here, I am very happy to be part of this community, almost half way through the course and let's go!

13/30.

J

Jruedrew

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KW
Chips
This is something I really need to work on. My goal for when short stacked is to not get put all-in, but rather to go all-in myself. It seems like I have been playing passive too often in this situation and getting put all in by my opponent and then calling them and--you guessed it--losing.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the push-fold strategy. You will be picking up pots that are folded to you also. Position seems to be not as important in these situations.

jonasz warzecha

jonasz warzecha

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In booklet # 5 says all in if 25% of our stack is in the pot arleady in video in this situation it says that 25 % of the effective stack

AQ
effective stack about 20bb with antes shove
AT
shove but would worried 3 way all in from villain to my left

AJo
Effective stack 18 bb and shove

In this case I would wait for better hand.villain on BB has 14 k and he might call this all in. Assuming that it’s final table so jump in prize is involved. Would wait for another hand. Two more chances to another BB

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, class number 13 is finished, good topic about how to act in preflop, to shove of according of the 5 situations.
Thanks for the course.

MrCryJoker

MrCryJoker

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In terms of procedure versus rules, I believe guidelines are true in terms of shoving ranges and then there are the absolute minimums that are going to be profitable to shove regardless of your opponent (Ie hands that I would shove regardless of any specific knowledge of my opponents because they are so +EV). An example of that that first pops in my mind of a rule that I will always shove (or play in some way) any Ace for ten bbs or less in the small blind (with the exception of very extreme ICM situations). Someone’s procedure in that case could be something as simple as shoving wide with 10bbs in the small blind.

I try to avoid looking at run outs whenever possible. I don’t find that much good really can come from it. We should be focusing on making the correct plays, getting our money in correctly and then zooming out to the long run when we will win the % of the time we’re supposed to. If we watch every run out, I’ve found it’s very easy to feel like we’re running bad. The negative is unfortunately way more remembered than when we ourselves suck out on someone, which is just human nature. So for me personally, I always try to avoid watching run outs, though I can’t help but peek in the big spots ;)
About the same way I behave, only when I have experience playing with the opponent (notes on it), I can play it differently.

Anamembu

Anamembu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Day 13 completed. Important information that sets the stage for discussing the significance of pre-flop decisions in poker and introduces the topic of when to make aggressive moves. This paves the way for a promising and educational discussion about poker. Thank you for the lesson.