When Should You Take a Break From Poker?

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
when u can´t win a hand at the tables.:elefant::elefant::elefant:

noLatenzy

noLatenzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you stop having fun and don't see it interesting anymore.

K

kaktus56rus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
kaktus

I take a break from poker when I get run over with good cards or combinations.after this, I need a moral rest.

geitenkamper

geitenkamper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you get too angry about a bad beat.
When you play too long poker, too many hours a day.....

When poker starts to look like a marriage, when its no fun anymore.....

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
When you feel like you are no longer playing your optimal game.

I see responses saying when the cards are going your way, well if that's the answer nobody should ever play poker ever again!

Poker is a game of streaks and variance, you must learn to embrace it and learn to win even during the slow patches. You will get dealt AA once every 221 hands on average, but occasionally, you'll get them twice in a row (it's happened to me twice), that means you can reasonably expect to not see AA for 442 more hands.

If you cannot deal with short term variance and cold decks, you are going to tilt and then you need to step away and take a break, but why would you tilt when these things are part of the game we know and love?

Igorek1313

Igorek1313

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never. poker is so interesting. I can’t live a single day without playing cash games or tournaments.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never. poker is so interesting. I can’t live a single day without playing cash games or tournaments.
you are a happy man. if poker is for you? can't get bored. the game, I see, gives you satisfaction, even when. there are a lot of losses.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you feel like you are no longer playing your optimal game.

I see responses saying when the cards are going your way, well if that's the answer nobody should ever play poker ever again!

Poker is a game of streaks and variance, you must learn to embrace it and learn to win even during the slow patches. You will get dealt AA once every 221 hands on average, but occasionally, you'll get them twice in a row (it's happened to me twice), that means you can reasonably expect to not see AA for 442 more hands.

If you cannot deal with short term variance and cold decks, you are going to tilt and then you need to step away and take a break, but why would you tilt when these things are part of the game we know and love?
This is an excellent answer, but I was saying that after thousands of hours spent at the poker table, it might be time to relax.

stuiter1331

stuiter1331

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
reason when you must be thinking to take a breake from poker or gambling

-when people say that you play to much,

-when you think you play to much

-when you can!t pay youre bills

-when you dont get enough sleep

T

tjgold

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
reason when you must be thinking to take a breake from poker or gambling

-when people say that you play to much,

-when you think you play to much

-when you can!t pay youre bills

-when you dont get enough sleep

Anyone who's reading this. Please don't do what previous poster suggests. How are people supposed to make money? Come on man, don't play with people's bread money like that.

Here are my tips:

-Play a lot of hands, the more hands you play the more you learn. Don't take breaks also, just keep a few piss jars before starting a session. This way you won't miss a single hand. What if you'd get AA when you go to break? Think about that!

-You know you can't win unless you play. ;) It's OK to put money in when you know you're behind (what if you're ahead?) because if you play enough hands you will win in the end. Don't forget quitters never win.

-Paying your bills. Come on man. Just take extra shifts at work to play poker. Do you really think losing a few hundred bucks a month gonna change anything? And remember, you've been very unlucky last 6 years. Luck always turns around if you play enough hands.

-Sleep is overrated, mang. Recent scientific studies clearly show that you're 87.3% more likely to win when you're dealt 78 of hearts if you don't get enough sleep.

Anyway, please stop spreading misinformation previous poster. Back your claims with stats and scientific facts like I do.

stuiter1331

stuiter1331

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone who's reading this. Please don't do what previous poster suggests. How are people supposed to make money? Come on man, don't play with people's bread money like that.

Here are my tips:

-Play a lot of hands, the more hands you play the more you learn. Don't take breaks also, just keep a few piss jars before starting a session. This way you won't miss a single hand. What if you'd get AA when you go to break? Think about that!

-You know you can't win unless you play. ;) It's OK to put money in when you know you're behind (what if you're ahead?) because if you play enough hands you will win in the end. Don't forget quitters never win.

-Paying your bills. Come on man. Just take extra shifts at work to play poker. Do you really think losing a few hundred bucks a month gonna change anything? And remember, you've been very unlucky last 6 years. Luck always turns around if you play enough hands.

-Sleep is overrated, mang. Recent scientific studies clearly show that you're 87.3% more likely to win when you're dealt 78 of hearts if you don't get enough sleep.

Anyway, please stop spreading misinformation previous poster. Back your claims with stats and scientific facts like I do.

so tjgold you feel so troubled by my answer.

to the question "when should you take a break from poker"

given you fierce response and rebuttals to all my answers

I am curious if the points might also apply to you.

Please be aware that help is available. The moment you are ready to accept it.

both online help groups or rehab clinics that do internal admissions, but also outpatient therapies

good luck playing poker with such attitude

A

ahweiss123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he was being sarcastic...at least I hope so.

so tjgold you feel so troubled by my answer.

to the question "when should you take a break from poker"

given you fierce response and rebuttals to all my answers

I am curious if the points might also apply to you.

Please be aware that help is available. The moment you are ready to accept it.

both online help groups or rehab clinics that do internal admissions, but also outpatient therapies

good luck playing poker with such attitude

stuiter1331

stuiter1331

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i know or i hope so...... but you never know... i have had a time that i have gamble to much. and some on told me this, so i am typing it forward

T

Tylerstevenson1919

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never

You should never take a break from poker keep on playing !!!

fruittree

fruittree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cold Streaks. Sometimes I will take a week off. Or reduce just to playing freerolls. Most the time I go back to betting horses instead. Fresh eyes and attitude is the answer. Playing through it is a huge mistake!

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm pretty much playing poker, but last year main job Boad all the time from poker, a year ago on the day I could iprepare steps doitt for 8 - 9 hours , now a week 20 - 30 hours! But friends know all the answers to the question - what to do when just in all the tournaments is not enough to ITM! Can there come a time when I stop playing poker completely?

:confused::confused::confused:
There are books on when to play, how to play and for how long to play. Ultimately, you have to answer this on your; and only you have these answers. I love playing poker. This minute, I am with my wife and children, on a campground and I'm using my phone to make this post. I can play mobile, but that is not the point. The point is that there are many other things that I love. One of those things is spending as much time with my loved ones as I can. I am so relaxed, that when I do start a game I do not have the cobwebs of many questions nagging my concentration and focus. Take your time and get there, or Rush and kurplunk! You have the ultimate choice and decision. I know you will make the right decisions and choices and I also know you are a Champion! GOD bless you.

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When should you take a break from poker? You should take a break from poker, any time you are asking, should I take a break from poker. Haha. But seriously, yeah, sounds like you need a break. At least a small one. That hand you posted, in the big picture, wasn't even all that bad of a beat. So if that one is getting you worked up, a break may do you some good.

K

kaktus56rus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
kaktus

rest is mandatory in poker.if you do not take breaks there will be mistakes and loss of money

V

valts102

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you stop having fun and feel tired from poker and bad beats maybe!

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
rest is mandatory in poker.if you do not take breaks there will be mistakes and loss of money
I completely agree with you, well, you can not show the best results without rest.