When Should You Take a Break From Poker?

M

mclaughlinph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you stop playing properly and start making bad calls and loose perspective on your game and what kind of hands your playing against and the stop paying attention to the style of the other players at your table IMO.

davidkimtai89

davidkimtai89

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take break from poker

How do you take break from poker ? it mean you bet freedomly , although you do not have a suited cards you still bet , like out of your principles , any poker regularly own particular principles . If you break the law you will get lost ,

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the best time to take a break from the game are the times like when you are constantly getting beaten by the 2 and 3 outers on the river. When you know that you are getting your money in good all the time but you keep getting outdrawn. This will happen occasionally and there is nothing you can do about it. I just quit the game completely and move on to other stuff like video games and watching movies. I think studying the game can only get you so far. Another idea is to watch poker streams and videos.

Last edited:

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Look forward to time away from the bad cards...

When you play your "A" game, entire tourney, to get to the bubble and have the bottom drop out, unplayable cards, OTM, that's a tell. Laugh at your self, take a break, you need to get away from poker.
After a poor outcome, the last thing you need to do is to keep playing, and expect to win, "because I'm due.."

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely have a point where I think I should take a break from poker as I try to play several mtts online every day. I much rather play live but try to find a live game at this point! I do get a little sick of the bingo players that seem to only have 1 button on their device, the all-in button. They never win but do sometimes build a massive chip stack before their demise which I never understood why once they got the massive stack why they didn't start to manage their chips and at least make the money? I guess they may actually not know how to play the game!!!:D:D

C

chattydb4567

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m like Phil Ivey

Phil Ivey says only take a break if you tired so follow his instructions

C

chattydb4567

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Long losing streak

And if you are on a long losing streak can mess wit your mentality for poker

B

BamaRaised

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes when I am on a string of bad beats I will take a break.

georgel2384

georgel2384

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you start to lose money, i think you should take a break, that are the times when you risk more money to recover your lost funds. I lived that in the past.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a break from poker when you play uncontrollably and when you are not in your own waters.

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually take breaks when tournaments have their 5 minute breaks for every hour. The other aspect I encounter is do i take a break from poker when I just started off with a bad beat very early in my first 10 minutes of poker? Do I then take a break away from poker to regather my thoughts and resume at a later stage?

jovan123

jovan123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best time to take a break from the game are the times like when you are constantly getting beaten by the 2 and 3 outers on the river. When you know that you are getting your money in good all the time but you keep getting outdrawn. This will happen occasionally and there is nothing you can do about it. I just quit the game completely and move on to other stuff like video games and watching movies. I think studying the game can only get you so far. Another idea is to watch poker streams and videos.
Depending on your experience and skill level can be a choice factor...but for me i
(I normally average 35 hours a week so basically full hours and even with my biggest downswing ( -23,000 over a 2 month streak including some of the biggest river coolers I've ever had) I only took 5 days and I'll be honest in saying that the first 2 days were great but by day 3 the poker bug hooked her deep claws into me and there was no point trying to resist her charm

pykubepx111

pykubepx111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone, I think this is a purely individual question for everyone. For me, this is building a stable bankroll.

G

gersom

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If nothing is working, the best thing to do is to stop for a while ... Analyze your moves, study the game better, and when you're ready, come back!

A

andrzejaa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only take a break when I have to wait for payment to lose everything again.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually take breaks when tournaments have their 5 minute breaks for every hour. The other aspect I encounter is do i take a break from poker when I just started off with a bad beat very early in my first 10 minutes of poker? Do I then take a break away from poker to regather my thoughts and resume at a later stage?
No for me a small break is not suitable, you need a long absolute break.

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is absolutely no shame in opting to take time off to save some potential hits to your bankroll. Returning to the game at a later point down the road can often help to produce better results. And if you’re worried about missing out on a potentially juicy game, don’r worry, as there will always be another game to come along.

W

wildjoker68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when playing poker become's more important than the loved ones around you.
if your poker playing becomes something that makes your loved ones look at you in a negative way, it may be time to consider taking a break from it, or reduce your playing down to 1 day a week.
Every day we all grow 1 day closer to death. time is short. and very precious.

Make sure to spend as much time enjoying your loved ones, and the outdoors as much as possible, before all is said and done.

In the words of Roger Waters, of Pink Floyd,
Time..

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
When You are young life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over,
Thought I'd something more to say.

B

BDR-83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you lose everything then you rest.

lyudiko

lyudiko

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In the game, as soon as you start losing money, you need to stop.
If you lose, don’t transfer money and don’t play.
Emotions will interfere with making the right decisions.

This is from my own experience.

A

andrzejaa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I take a break in the game when I run out of money.

S

sheldon20264

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't say that poker tires me, but I take a break from it at night, or in between coaches.

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm taking a break right now due to a bad hand three of a kind A beat by a flush on the river for the second time today just a bit much too deal with right now need to vent :mad:

The Riff_Raff :cool: