When Should You Take a Break From Poker?

FlushyFab

FlushyFab

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
When you constantly keep getting unlucky AF!

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Last year I really hammered the pokerstars site playing 8,9, sometimes 10 games every day, because I was on a mission, I rarely played that much On-line before, because I was into the Live games more and played a lot more live games.
When the Pandemic shut down my Live games I returned to Pokerstars with an account of just over $200 Dollar's (free-roll winnings) and decided I wanted to double it before Christmas 2020, I did it and now my account is close to the $600 Dollar mark, but since Christmas my buy-in games have almost stopped to a point where I only play them once or twice a month, I still enjoy the Cardschat free-rolls, but I play purely for fun, I have very little interest in making money from Poker, not because I am rich already, but I just enjoy playing Poker! Which I do totally free, from money I have won from free-rolls and the odd buy-in game I play.
Maybe soon I will set my sights on the $1,000 Dollar mark and grind away for another year, who knows? I just like to keep the game fun!

When the fun Stops, STOP!

Ziadfox

Ziadfox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you realize you’re spending more time on your phone or computer or tablet rather than with your family ������

dorivaldojr

dorivaldojr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
see you've lost a lot of money, go do something else like play ball or go out with friends

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to take a break when you start to go beyond your plan.

JohnWayne329

JohnWayne329

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When u tilting and thinking bout bad beats too much

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When it interferes too much with your family life or you lose too much money, you should think about quitting.

A

ALVY_MARRAS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When your mind is not concentrated and is tired for reasons that do not allow you to have a good time throughout the day!

D

Dan Perkins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you are on a bad run. walk away for a few days.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
You should take a break, when you tired and have no motivation to play poker. Or when you are (still) tilted and want make up your losses. You need to be in a fresh state and to have a positive mindset to be successful :)

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
When it feels like a chore to play and you feel a sense of dread when sitting down at the table or opening your favourite online poker client.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I am going to have a break now! Christmas is close and I feel it is more of a Family Time than a Time to play games, I will be back after the New Year with added vigour and ready to win more games.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

B

berkyt20

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When to start poker? I don't even know I'm not a professional I'm just a poker lover, he doesn't bother me to take a break, you can skip a couple of tournaments in the event of a labor order, this will be a break. Happy holidays everyone !!!!!! !!

E

ejsch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
take a break

I think you should take a break when you feel like you are going on tilt. but that is easier said than done

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When the doom switch is pulled there's nothing you can do except walk away.

Skill can only do so much. Ultimately is how the cards fall that determines if you win or not.

People will say as long as you put the money in when you are ahead you will come out on top. That is not necessarily true.

Sure, the concept is straight forward. If you are getting it all in with 70% equity for example, you would think that over the long run you will win 70% of such showdowns.

That (hopefully) does work out in the long run, but what's more important is the size of the pot in those situations. If you get unlucky in huge pots, you will end up winning less money than you SHOULD be winning.

It's perfectly fine to feel ripped off because you probably were ripped off. Feeling like you did nothing wrong and therefore you should feel fine about how you played doesn't really help things. If you played perfectly and still lost, then you have the right to feel angry. But, if the anger is affecting how you normally play, quit playing until you mentally reset.

IF you did make some mistakes and can improve by correcting those mistakes, then go ahead and study and improve, but if you did things perfectly and still lost, then it really IS luck and you should quit if it ain't your day.

I've been in a terrible run and I was supposed to not play cash games until 2022 but I broke my own rules cuz I felt good. I played today and got screwed by two more river 3 outters. Had I won those hands, I'd be up about 300 bbs today. Instead I lost nearly 200 bbs.

(I don't multitable and I don't play many hands a day so that's actually a pretty big swing for the low volume that I put in)

It's affected my game now as I am overthinking and assuming I will lose, so I am gonna really have to not play again until the calendar flips.

H

hcuervo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The ideal would be 10 minutes of rest to be able to prepare something to drink or eat and go to the bathroom:D:icon_sant

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If I find myself constantly topping up my account with real money then i deffo take a break from it all