When Should You Take a Break From Poker?

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, whenever poker is no longer fun or I busted my bankroll - I take a break. Poker is a cool game, but putting pressure on yourself to make the money is not advised. Instead, target an aspect of the game which you need to improve and work on that while playing the MTT's and record the results. Whenever you flatline, review the hands and target a new aspect of the game to develop. You must make you time at the tables strategic so you do not get frustrated and can have fun playing the game.

Some ideas;
Which seat or starting hands do you bust out on?
Which position is most challenging?
How can I improve on stealing the blinds?

Make you time spent playing poker targeted toward some aspect of the game and see the change over time.
Yes that's right say, without intelligence played games, neither of which the forward movement could not be and speeches! I always take notes on opponents!

S

sergo1203

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I play several tournaments in a row, I take a break in the game. two or three hours and i'm trying to play again.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I play several tournaments in a row, I take a break in the game. two or three hours and i'm trying to play again.

Oh no I'm not talking about a short break between tournaments! I meant the global poker break, which can be expressed in weeks or months!!

A

acetalker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If its aint fun anymore , like when you are pissed off, on a tilt or simply unable to think straight i guess thats the time that you have to say " ok im done for the day". I played about 2 to 4 hrs straight and then i get tired leave the table take the much needed rest.

C

crankmuppet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anytime you feel angry, stressed, pressure, tired or bored, quit the tables and take a rest

Any of those sensations will, more often than not, affect your game for the worst.

Great reply above. I would also add if you are sick, hungover (or still drunk), distracted or not feeling quite as mentally focused as you need to be, skip the poker session.

Last edited:
M

Maxi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You just need to not take bad beats too badly. The most important thing to ask yourself if you’re on an unlucky streak is are you still playing well, and did you get it in good and just get unlucky? If you get it in as a big favourite and end up getting a bad beat on the river, take that as a positive because you made the right decision.

If you get it in bad and lose well then you need to improve on that and figure out where you went wrong. I know it’s hard to keep positive if you’re getting lots of bad beats in a session, but if you’re getting it in good then you’re going to win in the long run.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If its aint fun anymore , like when you are pissed off, on a tilt or simply unable to think straight i guess thats the time that you have to say " ok im done for the day". I played about 2 to 4 hrs straight and then i get tired leave the table take the much needed rest.
Yes people are not robots and they need time to rest! From any class you need to have fun, otherwise why waste time!

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great reply above. I would also add if you are sick, hungover (or still drunk), distracted or not feeling quite as mentally focused as you need to be, skip the poker session.
On a remarkable observation about the game drunk!! It always ends sadly and bankruptcy!

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just need to not take bad beats too badly. The most important thing to ask yourself if you’re on an unlucky streak is are you still playing well, and did you get it in good and just get unlucky? If you get it in as a big favourite and end up getting a bad beat on the river, take that as a positive because you made the right decision.

If you get it in bad and lose well then you need to improve on that and figure out where you went wrong. I know it’s hard to keep positive if you’re getting lots of bad beats in a session, but if you’re getting it in good then you’re going to win in the long run.
Yes, I understand that you need to remain calm if it fails , but this knowledge I can not comprehend. I'd better get away from the game, I think it's the best solution.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a nutshell, if there is not even the slightest sense of joy from the upcoming game - do not sit down at the poker table! Don't torture yourself!

HobokenNJ

HobokenNJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should take a break when either (i) you're not having fun or (ii) you're negative impacting other aspects of your life.

For (i), why do it if it's not enjoyable? Presumably this is not a job for you, so why do it if it's not going to impact your life in a positive fashion.

For (ii), it's supposed to be a fun complement to your life. If it's making your life worse, why do it? Like anything (food, tv, drink, etc.), enjoy in moderation, shy away from excess.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should take a break when either (i) you're not having fun or (ii) you're negative impacting other aspects of your life.

For (i), why do it if it's not enjoyable? Presumably this is not a job for you, so why do it if it's not going to impact your life in a positive fashion.

For (ii), it's supposed to be a fun complement to your life. If it's making your life worse, why do it? Like anything (food, tv, drink, etc.), enjoy in moderation, shy away from excess.
Just a Golden words! Luck is changeable, and poker is part of luck! Yesterday luck was on my side, today someone else celebrates the victory!!

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When Should You Take a Break From Poker?

When i lose 3 times in a day with AA. The worse hand by far for me, and this keep goin.
I had AA and go all in, other players calls with 10J , and surprise...i get trips, he get straight...
In other cases the same with AA, other guy had just one heart and the flop and the river shows 4 hearts....
They made me wonder if i should fold anytime with AA...
You won't believe this week I have the same problem with AA. I even just dropped AA on the flop, there certainly is opponent street could be!

Barbarrossa

Barbarrossa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play to learn and have fun.. when it's no longer fun I take a break.. not a big break but a break. When real life throws major things into my path I also take breaks.. Lost my mom recently and sitting watching cards and trying to figure out what I was or wasn't going to do just wasn't anything I felt interested in for awhile. It's been awhile now and I'm starting to get my feet wet again. Enjoying this community also was a big reason for coming back.

Take your breaks.. come back when you're in the right frame of mind. Whether the reason for the break is big or small..

Freeman748

Freeman748

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello! I think that rest is needed in any industry, and poker is no exception! Everything should be a joy!

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To stop I think that radical good, although it is a a possibility with good EV depending on the situation.
I would take the time to analyze what I am doing wrong, no rush, no charge.

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The poker does not do without take-off and falling. From such changes your state of mind can sharply change from sad disappointment to delight. Long depression from failures badly influences a game therefore to the poker player it is simply vital to have a rest. In a condition of almost daily and round-the-clock game the player can not notice appreciable errors which are not peculiar to it at all. A game just becomes boring and there can be an autopilot. When you just "stick" it by buttons and especially do not think of correctness of actions. Good rest surely will help to reboot, properly to consider all wrong decisions which, anyway, led to failure at tables. At this time try to abstract completely from a game and just to relax.

Fishmasterbaiter

Fishmasterbaiter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I Agree

I agree with what you say here. I've had to take a little time off here and there. It also helps me to not throw any cards either by hand or poking buttons on the weekend.
Anytime you feel angry, stressed, pressure, tired or bored, quit the tables and take a rest

Any of those sensations will, more often than not, affect your game for the worst.

S

Seltz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Breaks

You should take a break from poker when you feel like it is starting to drain your energy. You should also take a break when you feel like you are digging yourself out of a hole. This is when you start to lose money and you start to take to many risks.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play to learn and have fun.. when it's no longer fun I take a break.. not a big break but a break. When real life throws major things into my path I also take breaks.. Lost my mom recently and sitting watching cards and trying to figure out what I was or wasn't going to do just wasn't anything I felt interested in for awhile. It's been awhile now and I'm starting to get my feet wet again. Enjoying this community also was a big reason for coming back.

Take your breaks.. come back when you're in the right frame of mind. Whether the reason for the break is big or small..
Yes, everyone has their own reasons to take a break from the game, but there are also many reasons to return ......

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should take a break from poker when you feel like it is starting to drain your energy. You should also take a break when you feel like you are digging yourself out of a hole. This is when you start to lose money and you start to take to many risks.
Yes, the first statement that poker begins to suck energy very precisely noticed! Yes this is from the best comments about poker!

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't play if you don't feel like playing. As someone mentioned, it's best to take a day or two break after a series of really bad beats.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't play if you don't feel like playing. As someone mentioned, it's best to take a day or two break after a series of really bad beats.
There were a lot of bumps, so perhaps in this situation you need a very big break!

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's right , when you suck the energy out of you - one decision, a break in the game!

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After big losing streak and tilt I guess...