What's helps you recognise a "fish"?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the quickest ways is pre-flop raise-sizing. For example, with a 15bb stack, a player raises to 3bb. It's very likely that someone doing this is a recreational opponent as almost all regs would be shoving, folding, or min-raising, or occasionally open-limping.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The fish can always be recognized. Such players, hoping for luck, call with a bad card of other players' bets. Go to all-in with any card.

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
You put it quite good there yourself. :)

If there is "a fish", there is other categories. Possible "pro" is likely multi-tabling, playing single situations by the book or default values and possibilities.

Evaluate both, use qualities against each other an appropriate extent, and you`re champ right? :)

Last edited:
akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A weak player always plays a lot of empty hands, big raises both in position and out of position, at the beginning of the tournament he plays at big stakes and does not worry about losing his stack in the "freezeout" format. A bad player plays hesitantly in the middle of the tournament, this is the case when the bubble can be opened soon.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think there is any single way to tell a fish - just some ways that are more reliable than others.

Yes, lots of statistics can identify fishy play (really high VPIP, lots of limping etc.) but so can HOW they act - sometimes even more so than what the action itself is.

Take a "simple" action like "open-raising" - are they consistent with what appears to be a method (doesn't matter if it is 3X raise, 3X + 1X per limper etc, but are they sticking to it most of the time?). Lack of a method may indicate a fishier player.

Another action is table chatter. Are they talkative "consistently" or not? A fish may only become chatty when they have a hand or vice-versa. Even regs are sometimes guilty of this, but pros like Tony G are capable of table chatter with a monster hand as well as complete air.

Similarly, HOW and WHAT are the complaints/chatter about? A bit frustrated at a suckout straight hitting the River for the opponent? Perhaps legitimate? Complaining that the AK they limped into a multiway pot with lost to an Ace-rag Flush...maybe they are a fish (most players wouldn't slowplay AK this way or at very least not limp into a multiway pot like this; with decent effective stacks, they should be raising and isolating).

Likewise, Isolating! Lots of fish don't isolate as much as they should. A good player knows that hands with less equity can still outdraw you, if you let them in too cheaply by not raising earlier on.

There are a ton more "fishy clues" to watch out for, but these are a few highlight ones I think.

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, guys!
Does anybody know special signs which helps you recognise a "fresh blood" in poker?
What's common newbiers mistakes allow you to recognise them?

As for me, due to my observation, the most common failures happens when player forget about position, and takes too much risk. If they got a pair of kings etc,
their brains turn off instantly. Also it can be disrespectful relation to oll-in bets.

What's your point of view?

I believe it depends a lot on what you're playing, are you talking about cash game, mtt or sit&go?
I think for every situation there are different ways to specify something, in fact, sometimes we think that certain plays are bad when in fact they are not.
Good luck at the tables!

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually the first orbit you can identify the fish. They will limp to see cards, but you have to be careful as some fish will raise their premium hands and some will only limp their premium hands. You have to be able to distinct the differences in the two. The first example is the easiest to play against.

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
what helps me to identify a fish is the size of the bet and if you throw yourself very out of position.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If they:
1. limp to sitters
2. fold to sitters
3. high blind limp
4. button limp
5. if they dont call short stacks when they are priced in
6. if they have a large vpip-pfr gap

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many ways to identify a fish. It could be the cards they play, how many hands, they play, how often they are limping in or calling raises. Typically it tends to be more than one thing, or more than one time. It's usually a combination of things. For instance I might notice someone limping into a lot of hands, then realize that they're playing passively, check/calling the flop and turn before check/folding the river. Then I'm going to want to see a hand at showdown for verification. Until I see a hand play out and go to showdown, it's all just speculation. But if you've played the game enough, and you've seen the signs before, you'll know them when you see them again.

Last edited:
Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, guys!
Does anybody know special signs which helps you recognise a "fresh blood" in poker?
What's common newbiers mistakes allow you to recognise them?

As for me, due to my observation, the most common failures happens when player forget about position, and takes too much risk. If they got a pair of kings etc,
their brains turn off instantly. Also it can be disrespectful relation to oll-in bets.

What's your point of view?

I've seen this a couple of times lately.

A player that doesn't bet or raise with the stone-cold nuts!

Can't believe it. So I put it in their notes.

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
limps and just calls a lot

never raising except monsters

Z

Zeke67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limpers

They like to limp a lot of hands. Big time chasers can earn you a lot of money if you can catch that fish. They generally overplay there big hands. Most will go down guns blazing with AK! That’s been my experience has been!!

Z

Stay Safe

Daddysprincess99

Daddysprincess99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Didnt you know that the most common addage in poker is, that if you cant recognize the fish at the table, its you.

I'll have to remember that one!

Fishes for me are players that limp alot then go all-in when they get raised. More than often they have nothing.

NickeLine22

NickeLine22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fish in poker falls into two broad categories:
1. Callers. Who do nothing but call even the highest raises. They need by all means to bring the distribution to the showdown. Often they turn out to be the winners, because opponents blinded by trying to squeeze more money out of the fish forget that there are fish with teeth.
2. "Bluff Kings". They play all hands as aggressively as possible to knock opponents out of the hand.

C

clave7777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys pounding in omaha pre flop and folding by the turn. Same thing next hand??

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The obvious fish tell I notice the most is silly bet sizing. Betting 2 cent into a 30 cent pot type of thing

Dimission

Dimission

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People who go all-in a lot and then still win with a lot of luck.

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rather not call him a fish or dunk(out of respect) I rather call him a weak player. He is someone who doesnt have an understanding of good starting hands, will call with starting hands that have negative value,like calling raises with weak Ace,etc..
and as whole ,is game has a lot of holes in it

W

williemays56

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fish

plays to many hands but get lucky onece in awhile and that how justify [;ayin donkey hands

I

isportsec

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a person who bluffs 3 out of 10 hands consistently.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Everybody that isn't a pro is a fish in their book. I don't look to call anybody a fish or a pro. I instead try to find a weakness in each player's game and through trail and error hope to capitals on their weaknesses. As far as calling people fish well I hope they break your lines and escape the hooks and take your bait from you. That is what I wish will happen to you when you feel the need to apply names to other players. Weak, strong, or Winning players I wish you luck if you don't pin your losses on the other players at the which you label as fish, donkey or nit.

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
they have a lot of limps from early position

PC91

PC91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If u dont know who is the fish then u have a problem.