What's helps you recognise a "fish"?

T

TUGIN777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a "fish" myself))) I do not know how to recognize another " fish")))

Pokerishard

Pokerishard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A fish have no patience and they bet super high when they have strong hand. For example if in pot are 4 bb and they bet 10bb....they are for sure fishes.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing a considerent amount of hands that is a big sign also being a tight player can be the same risky so I consider both styles unproductive.

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These are the things I use:

1. VPIP - Voluntarily puts in pot - A high VPIP is typical of fish. They do not really understand the odds which accompany opening hand strength. As a result, they play too many hands and fail to fold the dross wen they should.....
There are more...but heck, I decided this would be a top ten....so...we'll leave it here.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

Pretty much what everyone else already wrote, but seems like this answer is most comprehend. For online plays, I would also add sharkscope statistics for ITM% (In the money), and Average Players Beaten Percentage, ITM below 20% (don't make money), and Average Beaten below 40% (means gets knocked out before half of the field, above 60% - often goes deep in tourneys - NOT A FISH)). Little adjustment - Above 50% beaten could mean a lot of rebuys, or late tourney entries, and also check how much turbo the player plays (Turbo is mostly Sitsd and Go, and Heads up).

One thing about Sharscope Statistics - it's only for the tournament - I know a player who plays like a maniac, (goes All In a lot with very marginal hands, unsuited 2-3 gappers), but is absolutely killing in cash games - so if the player makes $300 a day in cash games, he can splash in a $10 tourney with 3-4 rebuys.

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone is a fish at poker table, only they have different sizes. I believe it's just like this.

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

First of all, I observe the attitude of players to the value of their stack. Usually the fish doesn't think the small blind is significant.

Raphael Zabel

Raphael Zabel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They play a lot of hands passively, call or even raise if they have nothing, try to bluff too much, risk too much.

S

Shantri333

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fresh bait and a strong rod lol

I watched a video of DNegs, some poker documentary from back in the day, and the one thing he said that really stuck for me was...."amateur players always tend to assume the other player is bluffing" and that's why their game stays in the gambling zone, as opposed to strategy etc. He then said as a beginner rule of thumb, don't look for the fish or assume a bluff, rather assume they have what they implying, and only take risks based on odds and hand strenght as a foundation, thereafter you will be able to more easily identify suspicious player behaviour etc.

I must say my game has slightly improved when applying this

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These players usually play with all the hands in a row and only rely on their luck. For me, those opponents are just a good opportunity to double my stack.

that is not true! It is simply when the machine wants to benefit one or the other, I have seen many of those you say and they stay until the final table, the only thing that if it is true is that I would like to see many at real tables and they will see how what I say is true ,

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just going to say something I would like to see many at real tables and live to see if the nonsense that happens at poker stars is going to happen

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's pointless to try and "identify" a player,because Anyone can have a Monster hand(and a good run of cards) at Anytime,,, and send you packing.:rolleyes: Play your best game,always,,,

kanogott

kanogott

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I dont have tools like hood or other thing. Im concentrated on the table so i could identify the various arts and skill levels of poker. If i have identify some fish i watch him a little bit closer. If the status is correct i make some notes. This is possible at pokerstars.

D

deputat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see a fish who raises all in and have rubbish hand

B

BeatMaster2020

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A fish is a player who's raising too much, betting too much, playing too many hands, making too many loose/bad calls especially when they're on a draw which is most of the time because they're a fish and that's why they're playing badly.

V

vanish123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
calling raises with A10 and AJ.
and a lot of check calling with a not made hand
only limping with small pairs, no preflopraises

srurrr

srurrr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recognize people who are losing value in poker and people who are calling too much in poker as fish.

T

tiefgang23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first of all , i look like 5 mins at the table and watch how they are playing like op raise sizings, if someone has constantly the same openraise size like 2,2bb , its very good, if someone op like 5bb in every position with AK / AA / KK / QQ , already a sign that he has a strong hand, thats so important to make notes to the players! good luck with that tip for the begin

Greetz Tiefgang

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) VPIP >40% for full ring - 25-40% is "semi-fish"
3) Open limping in cash games or from EP/MP
4) Ridiculous bet sizes
5) Posting a blind in cash games especially from early position
6) Donk betting the flop on textures, that favour the preflop raiser
7) Donk betting the river on a blank
8) Showing down some ridiculous hand
9) Complaining in the chat

There's a lot of way recognizing a fish. Some of my obvious observations on the way they've played their hand is:

1. They limp too much
2. They don't understand the power of position
3. Playing shortstack in cash games
4. Has high VPIP rate
5. Too passive

There were a lot of good answers in here. I'm pinning these to my monitor. Seems to sum it up for anyone that needs some good rules of thumbs.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
weak calling stations , people who call you with bottom pair even though the right play would be to fold , loose passive players , players who get intimidated by you and your raises / reraises (and i dont mean good players with scared money on the table)

aleomar86

aleomar86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, they usually play very passive, and apart from what I could tell, they do not respect the position of each one at the table, in addition to other points that other colleagues told you.

V

vaco88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Shaky hands

Fish are sometimes so nervous they shake when getting chips. Most experienced players are calm and focused.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
For most people I recommend going into a bathroom there is usually this thing called a mirror, it is almost always on the wall directly above the sink, if you look at that thing you will see the fish.

Last edited:
VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Some weak players try to use them exclusively as a bluff, while others do it only for value. So your main task is to determine exactly how your opponent plays. Again, remember that such players do not balance their ranges, they will almost never make overbets with both weak and strong hands. Thus, if you have noticed several times that a large sizing of a bet from an opponent means his weakness, then you can be sure that when overbetting, his range does not contain many strong hands. This means that you can open his bluffs more widely.

T

tourpro99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They say if you can't figure out who the fish is after half an hour....it's you! :D Seriously though, voluntarily entering over 50 percent of pots is a dead giveaway.

J

JJLakes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A fish will show you their cards at the end of the hand,especially if they bluffed you.From my experience you have to observe for a while,let the tournament develop and the fish usual shows their true colors.Patience.