What is something you learned that really improved your game?

LinkornU

LinkornU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it was reading your opponents, knowing strength of your hand and sure choosing right time for bluff

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This was from a wsop FT live stream discussion: You can't win pots when you fold. Another nugget was: if you're not sure what to do in a hand, aggression often is the best option.

I'm not advocating going out there and getting all reckless trying to run over the table, it takes experience and study to know when to apply pressure and when not to. If you're going to make the choice of whether to be aggressive or be passive though, being aggressive is the much better option in general.

TAG-style poker is the best place to start, but if you're moving up to where you're playing against good players who are watching what you are doing (especially over the course of multiple sessions) you have to vary what you are doing. Otherwise, you will start to notice that your opponents always seem to fold when you have the nuts, and drop the hammer on you when you don't.

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It used to really bother me when someone would call me on the flop or turn, when I had the best hand BY FAR, and then he would suck out on the river by hitting his 2 outer, or getting runner, runner.
Someone pointed out that this person will loose eventually if he plays that way, and that I just have to have patience and the money will come back to me.

This lesson made it much less likely that I would be upset when the guy sucks out, and gave me the patience to continue making sound decisions.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow down a moment before acting. Take a breath and think about what you're doing and why you're doing it.

If I'm betting, am I betting for value or for bluffing? Or for pot control? Do I want my opponent to fold or to call?

If I'm folding, why am I folding?

If I'm checking, why am I checking instead of betting? Or instead of folding ? Am I hoping to check raise? Is my opponent LAGgy enough to bet out when I check in front?

If I'm calling, why am I calling and not betting? Am I open limping? :eek:

If I bet OTF, then what will I do OTT?

It really doesn't take but half a second to pause and think about what you're doing and why you're doing it, before acting. It made a huge improvement in my play when I stopped my snap decisions.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Care to elaborate?

It took quite a while for me to retrieve my funds from Full Tilt. That's the most obvious answer, but there are others which I don't particularly want to elaborate on, they're in the past and it's probably best not to dwell too much on the past :)

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow down a moment before acting. Take a breath and think about what you're doing and why you're doing it.

If I'm betting, am I betting for value or for bluffing? Or for pot control? Do I want my opponent to fold or to call?

If I'm folding, why am I folding?

If I'm checking, why am I checking instead of betting? Or instead of folding ? Am I hoping to check raise? Is my opponent LAGgy enough to bet out when I check in front?

If I'm calling, why am I calling and not betting? Am I open limping? :eek:

If I bet OTF, then what will I do OTT?

It really doesn't take but half a second to pause and think about what you're doing and why you're doing it, before acting. It made a huge improvement in my play when I stopped my snap decisions.

Yeah sometimes I make really dumb mistakes like that (snap decisions). Like I would be joking & laughing at the poker table with others during my MTT hand I'm involved in so I make a dumb bet for no reason because I'm more focused on the dialogue going on in chat. I have a history of spewing chips randomly :(

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not done learning this by any stretch...but getting a feel for how much equity a hand has against various ranges (top 10%, top 20% etc) has been helpful. I use Equilab while watching a training video so I can do manual equity calculations.

RazorG

RazorG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely a bunch of great responses. It's interesting to see which fundamentals of poker give people the toughest time.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think another good thing I have learned is that a raise with a good PP is better than an all in. The way I see it is that after the flop I have more control over my hand, where as an all in before the flop makes every thing out of my control.I used to do all in's a lot and it cost me a lot. These days I do less all in's unless I'm forced to do so.

K

Karametric

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm still rather green, still pretty much a fish, so take what i say with a grain of salt. Still got a LOT to learn.

But my biggest "aha" moment was when i started understanding range, realizing that just because scary cards come down its still very unlikely their hand plays into it if they haven't acted consistently to that end previously in the hand

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be honest with yourself in the present moment. Think rationally, "do enough worse hands call, do enough better hands fold?". Play as obviously as you can for value against fish.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think another good thing I have learned is that a raise with a good PP is better than an all in. The way I see it is that after the flop I have more control over my hand, where as an all in before the flop makes every thing out of my control.I used to do all in's a lot and it cost me a lot. These days I do less all in's unless I'm forced to do so.

That's something that I've noticed a lot when moving from $1 SNGs on Full Tilt to $2.25 SNGs, the way that people play 88/99/TT.

Botanicaldreams

Botanicaldreams

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Every Hand Revealed by Gus Hansen is a book I have been reading lately, its a great read and a good look at the inside mental dialogue that goes on during the tournament. If you are a conservative player his style will definitely make you think twice :)

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
1. patience - the more you play, the more you understand that the patient player tends to win
2. the power of position.

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learning how to count outs, pot odds and hand odds quickly. It is necessary for any game.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I learned a good lesson Saturday night. Don't drink so much at a party and come home and stay up all night playing poker and when the headache starts don't keep playing, just go on to bed.

C

corrupted15

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It improved my game when trying to start thniking in ranges.

B

Beast modes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Possition of playing ,
Playing tight i think ..

L

LornaMurray

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think forum discussion is a best way to increase your poker playing ability, apart from that you can read new poker strategies on social networking sites and article's also. I love discussions on the forums because you can get help and suggestions from live players.

SloPowers

SloPowers

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I starting playing NLH some 10 years ago, the first thing my mentor told me was that I was in too many hands! I thought I needed to see most flops to know whether to continue or not! The minute I started folding more often is when my game started to improve. Then I learned about starting hands and position.

This is the most basic of stuff but if you are new to poker and want to amp up your game this is absolutely where you have to start!

Top 10 Games