What ONE piece of advice would you give to a NOOB????

C

ChurchSkiz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the biggest peice of advice i can give you is to play lots and lots and lots and lots of hands to become a better player you just need to get more familiar with the math betting patterns etc... to become a better poker player you have to gain experience the more you play the more youll learn and the better youll become

I'd actually disagree with this one. Playing a bunch of hands in the wrong mindset won't necessarily make you better. I know people who have played poker for years who still make beginner mistakes. The important thing is to be playing hands with the intent on getting better from each one.

K

KDS63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, I'd say patience too. Don't play mediocre hands just because you've been sitting out for a while and are getting bored. Wait for a hand - get paid.

Learn to play your position too. Important :)

Patience is the #1 it looks like, and I agree. Danny rephrases it here - I think that one of the things that kills relatively new folks (and some long-timers as well) is a streak of dead cards that make Q-10 offsuit look good even in middle position.

Another thing I'd add is if you're short, folks say "any two cards" but one thing to keep in mind is that if someone has raised significantly before you, it's not the time to go all-in with "any two cards". Wait for a mostly-folded (or at worst mostly-limped) table and you might just be able to take it down without a showdown.

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's one that I don't think has been mentioned, and it's mainly related to ring games. But, I think it's something fundamental that often takes a while for people to learn.

The value of the coin/chip/token is only relevant as a percentage of all the coin/chip/tokens on the table. That bet you're facing isn't just a dollar, it's four times the big blind, and a certain proportion of the pot. Your decisions should be based on the value of the bet based on the current pot, as well as the stacks of the players in the pot. Valuing a bet as only a dollar will result in you playing too loose at the low limits, and too tight at the higher limits. The chips are tools of the trade, and they aren't money until you've stopped playing.

K

kknutt17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that patience is key, but tempered patience it the patience that will hold you out in long tournaments or ring games. You have to be patient, but not lose it when you finally get something you think will bring you a hand.

Often I will see five or six hands before I feel a tug to play one. . .then I play it as hard as possible, lose in the end, trash my stack, and completely blow it. Even though you start with a good hand, you have to be willing to accept the future outcome of that hand. . .it may not pan out.

So garner the patience to wait for a hand, then make sure that it's really the hand you need. . .or garner the patience to wait for a hand. . .

D

DertyJerz1014

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have to agree that the key to poker is patience... you might not catch a hand for hours, but you cant get impatient and start callin any low pair or any face cards... just be patient and you will catch the nuts.

P

pinaq

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise or fold hands instead of limping. A hand is either good enough to be raised, or it's so bad it shouldn't be played.

R

ruffcut68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watch your opponents, learn their betting habbits and identify when you can pick them apart. Vary you pattern when you notice others payubg attntion.

A

AceHand

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess patience is the proper name for it. When I give the single best advice to anyone, without going into detail or a speach, is "don't play crap, wait for the cards". Same thing.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
also wear condoms

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, as JD says, just cause Lambiepie seems nice, ewe never know where she has been.

Poker advice; It depends.
When sitting at a table with a Noob, the best thing to say to him/her is nice hand.

RichKo

RichKo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the biggest peice of advice i can give you is to play lots and lots and lots and lots of hands to become a better player you just need to get more familiar with the math betting patterns etc... to become a better poker player you have to gain experience the more you play the more youll learn and the better youll become

I'd actually disagree with this one. Playing a bunch of hands in the wrong mindset won't necessarily make you better. I know people who have played poker for years who still make beginner mistakes. The important thing is to be playing hands with the intent on getting better from each one.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think thetrimguy means experience when he says play lots of hands, not playing alot of pots.?.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's one that I don't think has been mentioned, and it's mainly related to ring games. But, I think it's something fundamental that often takes a while for people to learn.

The value of the coin/chip/token is only relevant as a percentage of all the coin/chip/tokens on the table. That bet you're facing isn't just a dollar, it's four times the big blind, and a certain proportion of the pot. Your decisions should be based on the value of the bet based on the current pot, as well as the stacks of the players in the pot. Valuing a bet as only a dollar will result in you playing too loose at the low limits, and too tight at the higher limits. The chips are tools of the trade, and they aren't money until you've stopped playing.

Very well said Vic and thanks for the perspective.

M

mange

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Experience

Experience is the most important factor in becoming a good player.

Play as much as you possible can. If your bankroll is low, play the FRs and the Play Money games. There are a ton of them out there.

And, belive it or not, there are many good players who play the FRs and Play Money.

There are many books written about improving your poker game. But, you ask for one answer. And, it is definately "experience" play poker, play poker, play poker.

And, you will improve your game

Good luck

N

Netthug

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would tell a noob to stop playing rag hands and lucking me. :]

W

whiskers

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait for good cards to be dealt to you even if you have to wait 20 hands. Good cards will come to you, they always do. When you get a good hand don't be bashful with your chips. Play the hand to your advantage.

If you are not sure about your hand,don't play it. There is always another hand dealt to you.

S

sketchpad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess patience is the proper name for it. When I give the single best advice to anyone, without going into detail or a speach, is "don't play crap, wait for the cards". Same thing.

sure patience and all that, but if you can't learn how to play cards other than premium then you're gonna end up being blinded out in the long run...you gotta make moves at times, represent what you don't have sometimes, but always remember there is no shame in folding

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, the most important thing was, "know when to fold".

B

B1Gidiot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's my advice to the newbies. Stay away from NL poker, until you've learned enough at Limit to feel comfortable at the table!!! To much money can go into the pot and change your feelings about your hand strength in NL.