What ONE piece of advice would you give to a NOOB????

bestoboth

bestoboth

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you could tell a player new to poker just ONE thing to help them in thier game... WHAT would it be???

What is the ONE piece of advice that you would give to the player just starting out, or even, perhaps to a slightly more experienced player who would like to improve thier game???

MINE, would be PATIENCE!! As a new OR old player the most important thing about poker, is to learn to be PATIENT! Incidentally, that is the ONE thing that I am the WORST at! (Not to say that there arent plent of other things that I need work on.. LOL but that is the BIGGEST).

I am VERY interested to hear what little gems of knowledge other, more experienced players would pass on and I suspect I am not the only one!

PS If you can't narrow it down to just one... go ahead give more! :)

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HMmmm... you already nailed the first and most important, imo. PATIENCE. That applies to playing both live and online.

Second on my list - bankroll management. It works in both directions of selecting the skill and buy-in level to play as well as the reverse of being in the position of selecting a skill/b-i level and depositing an amount accordingly (assuming the amount is of no concern).

All too often people online deposit $50-100 and run right off to the $1/2 or $2/4 nlhe tables expecting to cash out BIG. Not much different than the FR winners who take their $.26 winnings immediately to a nlhe micro table to 'strike it rich' but wind up throwing their 3-4 hours of hard FR play in 2-3 hands. So, #1 - patience. #2 - bankroll management.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Number one would be (as you've already said) patience.

Number two - Enjoy it, if you are not enkoying the game, why are you playing it?

Number three - Look after your money, this is called Bank Roll Management (BRM), dont go throwing money out with bad cards or you might as well just hand it over to a charity.

Number four - if someone keeps pushing back at you they probably have a hand as well.

:)

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
STUDY.......Thats my advise.....spend as much time studying as you do playing the game.....Knowledge is power......Become a sponge and soak up as much as you can....Learn from all the other great folks in what to do as well as not to do...All of them have been down this road before..Learn from them

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yup 1 word, PATIENCE,, you need that a lot especially if your playing MTT`s,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, buck:)

becomingpoker

becomingpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
STUDY.......Thats my advise.....spend as much time studying as you do playing the game.....Knowledge is power......Become a sponge and soak up as much as you can....Learn from all the other great folks in what to do as well as not to do...All of them have been down this road before..Learn from them

^THIS!

If you are more knowledgeable about the game than your opponents then you will have the biggest edge.

Some people close to me can't understand how I consistently win when I play. What they fail to understand is the time and effort I have put into my game through reading poker books, watching vids and studying my own game through review. They must just think I'm one lucky s.o.b.

So again, I say STUDY! At least 1/2 as much as you play until you really feel your game is super tight. Then maybe you can relax a bit.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold most of the time, raise or reraise more often, rarely just call.

phoebepussy

phoebepussy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always be aware of your position and relative position

Always judge your hand against your opponents range play the player as well as your own hand

Leave your ego at home

concentrate on making the right decisions not the result

B

Brann6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never go broke with top pair.

Don't lose a lot in an unraised pot.

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Run away from ANY hand that has JACKS in them!! THEY'RE EVIL!!! EVIL I TELL YOU!! RUN--RUN!!! oh- and fold A-6o:p

davejs1671@yahoo.com

davejs1671@yahoo.com

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep an open mind and learn as much as you can about the game. It is hard to find people who don't think they play well and because of that they aren't open to learning.

whitewolf

whitewolf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To learn when you are beat.Throw your top pairs when flushes and straight draws are there.If you think they hit chances are they did. Don't call the raise fold. Save those chip's till your sure you have it!

T

thetrimguy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the biggest peice of advice i can give you is to play lots and lots and lots and lots of hands to become a better player you just need to get more familiar with the math betting patterns etc... to become a better poker player you have to gain experience the more you play the more youll learn and the better youll become

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Much the same as what's been said above really: mine would be to play less hands.

D

DannyG

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, I'd say patience too. Don't play mediocre hands just because you've been sitting out for a while and are getting bored. Wait for a hand - get paid.

Learn to play your position too. Important :)

bestoboth

bestoboth

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great stuff so far folks!

To learn when you are beat.Throw your top pairs when flushes and straight draws are there.If you think they hit chances are they did. Don't call the raise fold. Save those chip's till your sure you have it!

Of all these great tips... (and they are great guys!) I think this one is probably the one I need to heed THE MOST!!!! I have said it before and I will say it again... I HATE FOLDING! I know its bad! I know it is probably the worst thing I do but man when I got a good hole hand it is HARD!!!!

i have been working on laying them down recently tho and thing MAYBE I am getting a TINY bit better... still MUCH WORK TO DO!! LOL

Thanks again for all the great tips folks KEEP EM COMING!

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably not to be results oriented. Just because your 72o woulda hit quads on the flop doesn't make the fold preflop bad.

Close 2nd would be never stop working to get better. No matter what skill level you are read all you can, talk strategy with anyone who will listen, and just think about poker as much as possible.

bryan24

bryan24

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone has pretty much covered the most important items... My list would be PATIENCE #1 and Position #2. You must steal some chips from time to time and having position is the best time.....

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don't be afraid to make mistakes, so long as you learn from them

bestoboth

bestoboth

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Elaborate please! :)

Everyone has pretty much covered the most important items... My list would be PATIENCE #1 and Position #2. You must steal some chips from time to time and having position is the best time.....

I pretty sure I know what you are talking about but instead of assuming I think a bit more info might be good. :) I have heard a lot of talk lately about position and frankly, it has been one area that I have not paid a whole lot of attention to... except of course for when it screws me LOL... so some hints on how to make it work for the GOOD would be... well.. GOOD LOL!

mjdavinci

mjdavinci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to agree with you on this one as well. The only other thing I would like to add would be to read a few different books to get some ideas of how the the game is really played to your advatanage.

SusieP

SusieP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not the most important advice but... for all the new tournament players. YOU DONT NEED TO DOUBLE UP EVERY HAND YOU PLAY!

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From one NOOB to another .......

bluff very little.

Learn when you need to fold (TPTK is not as good as you think).

Don't play too many hands.

It's no limit, but use that AI button wisely.