Wanting to get better; don't know where to begin.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oops, you will flop a set 1/8 not 1/3. I knew that sounded wrong after I posted it.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's probably not helpful to think of players as idiots. It's better to think of yourself as an idiot, because it leads to better questions and is more conducive to improving.

Instead of saying, "WTF why did he do that?" ask yourself, "WTF, why did I do that?"

Not only will dumb players make dumb decisions and beat you, dumb players will make dumb decisions and lose to you as well. Just be thankful that they put their money in, and then question whether or not you made the appropriate play to extract full value from their entire range, rather than just winning (or losing) the pot that one time.

Furthermore, dumb players will sometimes make correct decisions and beat you, and sometimes make correct decisions and lose. Sometimes you'll get it in bad, correctly -- and win. When you get AA vs. KK in pre and win, that whole pot isn't yours, he earned 18% of it.

The point is that bad beats and coolers are not worth talking about, and continuing to mention them in this thread is not going to be helpful to anyone, most of all the OP. Bad beats and coolers have precisely 0 long-term impact on anyone's win rate if you are playing correctly and properly bankrolled.

For every 80-20 you lose that you have no control over, there are probably 100 spots where you miss an obvious value bet because you played too passively, 100 more spots where you slowplayed and could have gotten someone's stack, 100 times where you are clearly beat but just couldn't fold your KK, and probably 1,000 times where you made a marginally incorrect decision that gets compounded on a later street.

Spend your time thinking about those spots, because that's an awful lot of lost money.

I gotta say I like reading your posts when you go into detail like this one You can show a lot of insight IMO.

Dreams of Tragedy

Dreams of Tragedy

dreamsoftragedy.com
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one thing that has help me with my game is recording every session that i do and i look over my mistakes and others as well, I also take good detail notes during and after my sessions.
Also I use to post video on 2 +2 for help and to get feedback with others there...and it has help alot...
if you too shy about giving out your screen name on the site during the reveiw of a video , there are replayers on the web that will hide your screen name so you can post as another person on the form and then post the video with out giving out your sn or anything and see what other say .....there are alot of people out in the poker world that is willing to help .
good luck

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one thing that has help me with my game is recording every session that i do and i look over my mistakes and others as well, I also take good detail notes during and after my sessions.
Also I use to post video on 2 +2 for help and to get feedback with others there...and it has help alot...
if you too shy about giving out your screen name on the site during the reveiw of a video , there are replayers on the web that will hide your screen name so you can post as another person on the form and then post the video with out giving out your sn or anything and see what other say .....there are alot of people out in the poker world that is willing to help .
good luck

I dont have a big enough HD to do this hahahah

gwaewar

gwaewar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was re-reading this thread (like I do sometimes, just to have the ideas stuck in my head), and I have to say, I feel like my game has improved dramatically, although there are certain places where I can improve (duh).

I just wanted to know; what is a "good" cbet/fold to cbet %? Most of the time I play PPs in hijack, CO, or button (raise 3xbb), or suited connectors on the button, and get donkbet when I don't hit, or an auto-shove when I try to steal the pot on the flop. Granted, late position draws I'll call based on odds, or re-pop if it's a low bet (and I know villains range), but sometimes it's a wet board and villains range from SB or UTG is what I feel to be Qx-Ax, AT+, and PPs (only have seen them SD from these with those types of hands).

I find myself taking shots at the flop in position, i.e. when I raise to steal pre. So I'm around 76% cbet(only tournament play) and fold to cbet at 80-something. I guess all I'm asking is, besides folding to cbets and having that number so high (already know it's completely exploitable), is that should I be re-raising on the flop, or just float?

I think I give the villains range too much credit sometimes, I don't know. The auto-shove after I re-raise is signaling, to me, that they hit the board, or drawing. I'm just trying to find a right medium to it.

H

Humps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's probably not helpful to think of players as idiots. It's better to think of yourself as an idiot, because it leads to better questions and is more conducive to improving.

Instead of saying, "WTF why did he do that?" ask yourself, "WTF, why did I do that?"

Not only will dumb players make dumb decisions and beat you, dumb players will make dumb decisions and lose to you as well. Just be thankful that they put their money in, and then question whether or not you made the appropriate play to extract full value from their entire range, rather than just winning (or losing) the pot that one time.

Furthermore, dumb players will sometimes make correct decisions and beat you, and sometimes make correct decisions and lose. Sometimes you'll get it in bad, correctly -- and win. When you get AA vs. KK in pre and win, that whole pot isn't yours, he earned 18% of it.

The point is that bad beats and coolers are not worth talking about, and continuing to mention them in this thread is not going to be helpful to anyone, most of all the OP. Bad beats and coolers have precisely 0 long-term impact on anyone's win rate if you are playing correctly and properly bankrolled.

For every 80-20 you lose that you have no control over, there are probably 100 spots where you miss an obvious value bet because you played too passively, 100 more spots where you slowplayed and could have gotten someone's stack, 100 times where you are clearly beat but just couldn't fold your KK, and probably 1,000 times where you made a marginally incorrect decision that gets compounded on a later street.

Spend your time thinking about those spots, because that's an awful lot of lost money.

Top post. Poker is a game of decisions, results do not matter.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was re-reading this thread (like I do sometimes, just to have the ideas stuck in my head), and I have to say, I feel like my game has improved dramatically, although there are certain places where I can improve (duh).

I just wanted to know; what is a "good" cbet/fold to cbet %? Most of the time I play PPs in hijack, CO, or button (raise 3xbb), or suited connectors on the button, and get donkbet when I don't hit, or an auto-shove when I try to steal the pot on the flop. Granted, late position draws I'll call based on odds, or re-pop if it's a low bet (and I know villains range), but sometimes it's a wet board and villains range from SB or UTG is what I feel to be Qx-Ax, AT+, and PPs (only have seen them SD from these with those types of hands).

I find myself taking shots at the flop in position, i.e. when I raise to steal pre. So I'm around 76% cbet(only tournament play) and fold to cbet at 80-something. I guess all I'm asking is, besides folding to cbets and having that number so high (already know it's completely exploitable), is that should I be re-raising on the flop, or just float?

I think I give the villains range too much credit sometimes, I don't know. The auto-shove after I re-raise is signaling, to me, that they hit the board, or drawing. I'm just trying to find a right medium to it.

IMO what you need to do is take specific hands in the above scenario and post them . w/o results - in the HH analysis section. Each situation is unique in that you opponent may be good/bad/tight/loose/attentive/stupid etc, as well as so many other factors, that to say "x is what to do" aint possible. For example instead of folding to 3 bets, how about 4 betting? (What I mean is, how can we know a 4 bet is correct unless we know the specific situation)

And there was a lot of good advice already given. Its good to think about things, but are you acting on advice given? (Not saying your not, the question is meant seriously) For example, are you using poker stove?

gwaewar

gwaewar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I use pokerstove every day. I actually just try to calculate the equity in my head and plug it into pokerstove to see if I'm right. Sometimes I am, ha.

I actually just feel I overthink things at times, and it gets me into trouble. It's not like "zomg I'm losing monies help", but I exhibit FPS at times when I can just play it straightforward. I think it's because I have to study everything all the time, and try to get into fancy plays because of what I've read instead of playing optimally for that specific hand.

There's still a lot I need to improve, but overall since I've started this thread, I've had an obsessive will to get better. I just think I think too damn much.

FeltLikeIt

FeltLikeIt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you are a member here, thats the first best thing you can do to improve your game! Second i recommend downloading a poker tracker, and a website like offical poker rankigns .com so you can keep tabs of compition at tables. This is just first hand knowledge of your game as well as others. next find a book and read it front to back a few times, take notes, when your playing at tables make sure to take notes on players and remember there characteristics. just saying-

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I use pokerstove every day. I actually just try to calculate the equity in my head and plug it into pokerstove to see if I'm right.
^^^^^this is great!! It will defo help in the long run. I think you are probably getting better than you think.

Are you still playing MTT and SnGs? There are a few books that could help. Winning Poker tournaments one hand at a time Vol 1+2. Real good for MTT thought process. (Vol 3 should be out soon, I hope) Tournament poker for advanced players. Elements of Poker (not strategy but good) And many more.

GL!