(The Unofficial) CC's 100 Greatest Poker Tips

davewjones

davewjones

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've learned the hard way when I was first starting on this one....

if you are close to having a straight off the flop, but are one card away, don't bet and play like the turn or river card will give you that hand.

Play it like you'll be lucky to get your straight and fold if necessary. If you get the straight, awesome, otherwise, you better have plan B.

S

StnCld

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play AA strong.. no matter what im usually all in preflop.. rather get the blinds than go broke

A tip from a new guy pertaining to AA (or KK) in limit holdem:

If you play it strong (and you should) and get several callers (4+), you don't necessarily want to bet or raise the flop. You need bet such that several players are forced to call two bets cold, otherwise check or smooth call the flop and bet out on the turn. If the pot is big and you bet it wrong, even gut shots can be getting the right odds to draw out. (See Small Stakes Holdem for more details)

poker in kc

poker in kc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ace rag

Unless they are suited, throw em out...

D

doodydota

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never show anyone your cards for free. Its tempting after a bluff, and its even more tempting after you tell the truth and your opponent folds but the mystery is worth more than the immediate satisfaction of showing.

The money at a poker table moves clock-wise.

Players behind you are very dangerous to your stack.
Always be nice and friendly to them.
Players at your right are much more easier to profit on.

Never show if you bluffed a player on your immediate left.
If you chose to show your bluff as a future set up, show it when you bluffed a player on your right.

NewSetUp

NewSetUp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If any of you keep a journal of great tips and notes of mistakes you made most of these would be great to write down. I keep a journal of every game I play and review it at the end of the day. A daily journal of games played, mistakes made and what you learned from it all will help improve your game alot.

slipknot4life

slipknot4life

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
many times i have seen people betting into a dry pot when someone is in, I myself have been bet off a pot i would have won and knocked somone out. I feel that when there are two against one both should check it down unless u make a hand u think can beat the all in guy, i have also seen people make a hand like small pair,bet and then lose and triple the guy up thinking there pair is good enough. Remember most of the time it does not cost much to call the all in so unless 5 people call and the pot is worth playing for. The point to a tournament is to make it to the money, and to do that you must take players out of the game, not triple them up so they end up taking you out.:D

U

Unmasked

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always find the nuts before betting. "Wow I didn't see a straight on the board" - don't let that happen to you!

R

readandweep

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
SHIIT hands CAN MEAN WINNING, BY LOOKING AT THE FIRST FLOP
DEPENDS ON THE BET, THE BIGGER MAKES IT HARDER TO LOOK
HOW MANY TIMES WE HAVE BEEN BEATEN WITH POCKET ROCKETS
IF YOU HAVE IT!!!! ( or bluffing)..... GO FOR IT
REMEMBER, ALWAYS BET YOUR CARDS
BETTER TO WIN BLINDS..........
THEN TO LOSE ON A FLOP, TURN, RIVER AND GET POT COMMITTED AND LOSE A LOT MORE..

SO BET YOUR CARDS AND DON'T PLAY GAMES TILL LATER

Bluffalo_Sil

Bluffalo_Sil

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In the game of online poker, 20% of the players win 80% of the profits in the long term. The foundation of poker is the starting hand. In order to win consistently in a ring game full table), you should see about 20% of the flops (+/- 2%). If you force yourself to see 20% of the flops, you will find yourself playing very tight with premium starting hands.

Below is a quick chart to help you rank starting hands.

Group 0: AA KK (Always raise pre-flop).
Group 1: QQ JJ AKs (Always raise pre-flop).
Group 2: TT AK AQs AJs KQs (Always 2 bet/call).
Group 3: AQ 99 ATs KJs QJs KTs (Late position, Use judgment).
Group 4: 88 AJ KQ QTs A9s JTs AT A8s (Late position, Use judgment).
Group 5: KJ 77 QJ KT QT JT A7s K9s Q9s T9s J9s (Late position, Use judgment).
Group 6: 66 55 44 33 22 A5s A6s A4s A3s A2s (Late position, Use judgment).
Group 7: A9 K9 98s 87s 76s Kxs(?) T8s(?) 97s(?) 86s(?) 54s(?).

DFirstBishop

DFirstBishop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small bets show Who is slow playing as well as pull out the bullies. Knowing the difference between the two is what gets you to the final table. There is no excuse for not betting on a hand that could evolve until the blinds make up 10% of your stack. Which hopefully ends up being at least in the final 3 tables.

tomcat529

tomcat529

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker tips?

ahh.. are we assuming this is no-limit?

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since this thread has been going on since July, and some have posted dozens of replies since, I'm going to fudge a bit and give you my Top Five All-time Poker Nuggets.

1.) The most overvalued, overplayed hand in Hold Em is AK. Without help, it's nothing but Ace-high. A pair of twos beats it. Never go all-in preflop with it, not even in heads-up play. If you don't flop any help, muck it.

2.) The key to winning any tournament is SURVIVAL. Make it a rule to only play AA, KK, QQ, or AKs in the first hour of a tournament. You can't do anything but lose a tournament in the first three hours. Your primary goal should be to reach the final table, not to climb the leaderboard.

3.) The best way to mask your play is to adopt standard opening bets based upon position. Early position - 2 x BB. Middle position - 3 x BB. Late position - 4 x BB. If you have a relatively weak opener in early position, you can easily muck it if raised. If you have big cards, you can re-raise. If you bet preflop by position, no one can ever put you on a hand, because you're betting AA preflop just like you're betting 78 suited.

4.) When playing stud, if you can't beat what you can see...fold. Period.

5.) When playing High-Low, never enter a hand playing for the LOW. The most you can win is a chop. Always come in high and play for the scoop. (Note to "wheel" fans: the A-5 straight only scoops in Hi-Lo about one time in five, even if you hit it. The rest of the time, it loses to a higher straight, flush, or boat, leaving only the low chop.)

Last edited:
Moah Sparks

Moah Sparks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
coach

:cool:
my coach says
"There are no lucky hands"
~m

B

Bay101guy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play like it matters

Always play your best game no matter the stakes, 1 cent or 100 dollars, because poor practice makes poor play.

G

Green T

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play Money

I read where someone put in not to use the Play Money sections. Here's another side to that: I like to start at the Play Money section on a new site until I learn how everything works on the site. Losing because I hit the wrong buttons is worse than losing to a lucky player. People do play very differently for play money than real money....but I'm not losing money while I gain valuable information on the site.

T

tracker731

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when hosting a home tourney rule 1 is first out serves drinks and dumps ash trays... really tightins up the game

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be Cool

Try to keep your emotions under control during & especially after the dealt hand. What goes on in the hand & once your $$$ is in the pot depends on numerous things...it's not always under your control. Once you put your chips or cash in the pot, it isn't yours anymore. So controlling what you say or do is really the only thing you have control over. As my signature below says but in different words................just be cool.

K

klynts

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet hard if low cards on flop when you suspect the opponents have high cards.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
sitngo

If any of you keep a journal of great tips and notes of mistakes you made most of these would be great to write down. I keep a journal of every game I play and review it at the end of the day. A daily journal of games played, mistakes made and what you learned from it all will help improve your game alot.
Great advice. I'd like to add that you should keep a running log of all the SNGs you play. As soon as the tourney's over write down entry fee, your result and the biggest reason you think caused that result. You will see long term tendencies, good or bad, that you can work on. It is also a great way to reset your your brain, whether your coming of a bad beat or a shorthanded-huge blinds frenzy, before getting back into another game.

G

Green And Gray

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep track of your winnings and losses.

Believe me, doing this will let you know almost immediately if you're on a hot streak or a cold streak, if you're a good player or a bad player.

Don't lie to yourself about your results to make yourself feel good, even if you're playing for fake money.

ztw30

ztw30

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
God Tip

One of the best is dont only think about your hand...think about your oppnents hand...and think about what your opponent thnks you have..and so on..

C

carnuba

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
(About 40 tips so far. Let's keep it going. Need more from the regulars. To bump it up, here's a big one I just learned: )

Most people shouldn't play drunk or buzzed. Alcohol tends to limit discipline.

now you tell me:(

C

crussader

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
*Warning - This tip is from a newbie*

At a full table 38% of the deck is on the table before the flop. It's pretty much guaranteed there are going to be a fair amount of big cards floating around.

I remind myself of this to keep me from over playing marginal starting hands, especially in early position.

C

Candy_Licker

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Beaten

Best advice if you are betting and you get that feeling that you are beat when you see the turn or river card, 9 out of 10 times, you are.

Just thought I would mention that as sound advice for me.

-1crunch1-

-1crunch1-

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is a very good one and my biggest problem. Taught myself to play and "do this" or "do that" no variety. Reading this and taking notes. Old habits hard to break? I sure hope not. Meant to reply with quote "don't be predictable". Sorry new and just learning the ropes

Last edited:
Poker Tips