(The Unofficial) CC's 100 Greatest Poker Tips

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't play a certain way because you read about it. Read about many playing styles, and create your own by using little parts of many different styles. Play the way that feels most comfortable to you - every style can be a winning style. (funny, I actually got that style of using other styles from a book...)

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont watch the flop. Watch the other players watch the flop.

withawedge

withawedge

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make sure the missus has gone shopping with her mother.

That normally allows for a good run at games

:withstupi

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are too few things that are so generally true for poker for me to be comfortable making one-or-two sentence statements, but here's one:

Don't complain about people playing poorly; this is how you make your money. Being pissed off when opponents make stupid plays is perfectly analogous to a sports coach being pissed off when the other team stumbles.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't scare away the fishies! When someone puts a bad beat on you, congratulate them 'sincerely' to make them think they are playing well. You don't want to make them realize how bad they are playing, because you want them to play bad! Conversely, don't congratulate a fish on a solid play he makes, just keep quiet - you don't want to encourage good play.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online only - keep your mouse well away from the action buttons until it's your turn. It's way too dangerous to hover your cursor over the would-be 'check' button, only to see someone push in front of you and actually call the raise by accident. online poker has it's downsides, and you have to be very careful of them.

Dennis C

Dennis C

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best and #1 rule for poker:

If you want to be a winner, DON'T PLAY.

shortstacked

shortstacked

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
slow play AK as much as you can it SHOULD pay off for ya

H

hothands19

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i have found out that when you are playing online poker and you have aces and someone in front of you has raised the big blind go ahead and go all in and they will usually call and its a very good way to double up

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah the ulitmate tip " don't tap the fish tank"

AmadorEd

AmadorEd

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only rule i go by is, Big cards are not garanteed winners, Slow play them unless you are Headsup.

brutus

brutus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if i want to include a certain part of a hand in a note about a player (ex. the board) i go to hand history and copy the part i want to include then paste it in the note.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
(Thread Beginning) said:
One posted tip per member. If posting gets stagnant after a while, I guess another tip from a repeat member would be a fine jumpstart. (We'll try to get to 100)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is the NY state lottery slogan:

"You can't win if you don't play."

E

ebon87

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Rarely bluff on internet poker. You will get called most of the time at medium limits and almost all the time at low limits. If you feel the urge to bluff play in a short handed game where you will have more success.

E

ebon87

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
u hav POCKET Q's and someone makes a big raise preflop. resist the urge to go all in. Assume the raiser has big slick. Just call the bet and see the flop. If an Ace or King appears check-fold and you have not lost much. If they do not appear (this is more common) make a very big bet (possibly all-in now). If they feel committed they may call and u hav an approx 70% chance at picking up the pot. Overall, I have found this strategy makes much more money.

BetUICan

BetUICan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What happened to "any two cards" are potential winners? Tell that to my pocket JJ...hate em...hate em....hate em....LOL

10Ace

10Ace

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"if you can't spot the sucker in the first 30 minutes of sitting down at a table, you are the sucker"

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't give your opponents a free card.

JimboJim

JimboJim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't target any specific player...you'll only give them more chips.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you find yourself playing next to someone like this;

Kenzie 96
Professional what?

Take a deep breath, smile and say "Been lucky lately?" :D

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is more geared to live poker.

If you think you're beat after the last round of betting on the river and your opponent shows his hand, don't just throw it in the muckpile. Just show your hand becuase you might have the winning hand and not know it. For example, I was up against one other player and the board showed:

:5d4: :3h4: :qd4: :qc4: :9c4: . I showed :qs4: :6s4: . My opponent throws his cards into the muck pile saying "That beats my trip 5's." So, he had pocket fives but he didn't not realize he had a full house until after he threw his hand in the muckpile.

Result: I got the pot because he threw his hand away without showing.

Poker Tips